Chickpea Chat

I think I love all winter veggies, just as I love summer veggies. I really love my fruits and veggies:) Kale season is soon here. I love kale, it's like collard greens in the states. Mmm mmm good stuff.

irish molly said:
Nice question !!
I always loved root veg!! Parsnips were my fav.
In GL mode I now rely in mangetout, baby sweetcorn( less sugar than mature), fine beans, celery, broccoli, peppers. Butternut squash and beetroot are medium GL and I have these too as I love them. If you have them with other low GL foods then it lowers the overall GL of your meal. I'll also have a little of high GL roots like parsnip or swede and potato when I fancy them or for occasional variety.

Yes I must also look up the definitive answer on the GL of these veggies as I think they fare better on that front than GI!

AshieFan said:
Plumfoodie said:
Ashie, the pots have arrived. The card that comes with them says that the smallest (blue) holds 55g uncooked basmati rice and the red cup holds 144g cooked, for the same amount of calories (ie the blue cupful turns into a red cupful when you cook it). The yellow pot holds 103g cooked rice and that's what I will probably use!

That's interesting about the amounts in the cups. Because I can only eat such a little amount of calories, I think I might give these pots a miss for now. I followed Irish Molly's advice and eat only 30g of rice with my meal. This allows me to eat lentils or beans with it, but whilst beans/lentils provide protein, they also have quite a lot of carbs in them too. In fact, I never have had a handle on how much rice and how much lentils I should have in one meal (and I have been eating a lot of rice & legumes lately). Oh well, I am not going to sweat on it as my weight, touch wood, has been going in the right direction.

If your feedback is positive Plum, I will get them when it's time to maintain. I wont want to weigh everything then and the pots make it easy to scoop out the right amount of pasta/rice etc. I am looking forward to eating 55g rice as I love the stuff. :D

Plumfoodie said:
With winter imminent, what are your favourite seasonal non-starchy veggies?

I am afraid I am not so good with wintery vegetables. I had broccoli and cauliflower today but it was a bit blah! I am more into Mediterranean veg. I do like butternut squash and pumpkin but I never buy the stuff because I hate cutting it all up as it is quite difficult for me. (Pathetic, I know. :)) I especially like butternut squash cooked with dahl. It's delicious and very warming in the winter. I also like parsnip and beetroot but only have it when I am out.

Where do mushrooms come out on GI? I eat tonnes of mushrooms.

EDIT: Adore cauliflower curry BTW but then again I would probably eat curried shoe (in the style of Charlie Chaplin).

Oh my phone has done a strangely nested quote. Nevermind! :)

I also get a bit confused about pulses/starch together as I'm not sure of how this works when the pulse is the protein (but obviously still has carb in it).

My husband has just done some clever maths and determined that the yellow pot of rice (103g cooked) must stem from 39g uncooked. So annoyingly in between your desired loss and maintenance portions!

I have always eaten mushrooms freely as I assume they are low GI but worried now that someone may say otherwise!

Cali, I'm with you and love the winter greens like kale, also the different cabbages we get like cavalo nero and hispi pointed. Goodness knows in the winter I'll take any excitement even if it's cabbage based. Like Ashie I really love all the summer Med veg!

With the holidays approaching, just curious how others are planning to tackle the big festive meals? Are you going to try to have a low GI celebration or just write it off as one day when you're sticking with old favourites?

I think I'm going to try for a mix, I'll make healthier versions of some foods - it's just occured to me that I can do roast potatoes in my Actifry and I have a collection of Slimming World/Rosemary Conley/South Beach holiday recipes - and try to stick to healthier side dishes, but things like gravy, cranberry sauce, and Christmas pudding are non-negotiable.

However, unlike years past, I think my attitude towards food is better/I'm better at paying attention to my appetite and how full I am, and so instead of, for example, scoffing 5 mince pies in a sitting without thinking about it I'm hoping I will be happy with one. Also hoping this will stand me in good stead at lunches/dinners 'out' too, as I've got at least 4 this year. Yikes!

Edit: by the way, for anyone who is like me and freaked out by the idea of dealing with a whole turkey (food poisoning, dry meat, all that icky raw poultry skin, dealing with 'the cavity' - yuck yuck yuck! I have cooked them before but I really don't enjoy it) this year we are going to try an oven-ready boned/rolled turkey roast from a local butcher. You get one each of white meat and one of dark included (it's proper turkey, not reformed or anything, just boned) and apparently it's very easy to cook and carve.

Last edited:
I'm planning to probably write the day off for Christmas. Swedish christmas foods are really different from English and American christmas foods. Here we have Christmas ham, pickled herrings, salmon, kale (more of a southwest Swedish thing), swedish meatballs, gravy, sausages, red beet salad, potato casserole, and rice pudding. They don't have stuffing, turkey, or pies.

But it's becoming a tradition for me to bake a pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie and we all eat it after Christmas dinner. My inlaws love the pie. Also there's homemade chocolate candies made by my sister inlaw which I will not pass, since it's only once a year I get to eat them.

If you scroll down to Julbord section, you'll see a picture of typical Swedish Christmas foods. Smörgåsbord - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mmm Cali that link made me hungry! All those yummy foods! :D I like a ham myself. :)

It's nice that you make a pumpkin pie and bring a little of your own tradition. We always have Christmas pudding because my MIL makes it and any addition would be taken as rude! I like it but it's not my favourite. :) Maybe this year I'll make a pie for the couple of people who don't like Christmas pudding (they usually have jelly/Jello) and then leftovers can be munched along with other leftovers in the evening.

Im afraid that I have to admit to being totally in love with all things christmas dinner related - including the brandy butter, mince pies etc!! Im really saving myself for it all though, and thats the trick for me. Not buying them "now" just because the supermarkets are shoving them down our noses...

And I love all veg, but am good at keeping to the less starchy ones, although my plan which is low gi based allows for parsnips etc, but luckily Im not mad keen.

xx

I like your approach, Clarri. It's too easy to start munching mince pies etc early as they seem to be available sooner every year! We've even been known to have the odd mini Christmas pud in early December! But this year I'm trying to save them for Christmas itself. :)

I just love , love, love Christmas food!!!
Last year, I planned for the gain, so I would not be disappointed when it happened!! However, from mid Dec to the first week of Jan I did gain about 8 or 9 pounds. Over that time I had lots of rich liqueurs( very calorific) and lots of turkey, stuffing, pud etc. Not everyday was piggy but over three or four weeks it was a couple of pounds a week. We had awful weather too, so there was nothing to do but eat and drink!!! But, I lost all of that gain in another four weeks by cutting right back.

I expect to do pretty much the same this year!!! Did I mention that I love, love, love Christmas!!!!

As mentioned I do like your plan, Molly! I always think it's best to be realistic and if the reality is that we choose to treat ourselves at any given point then best to accomodate it rather than setting impossible standards and going down in a flaming fit of frustration at not having met them! (not that I would ever do that, obviously, erm, ahem... *Friday, I'm looking at you...*)

Your plan sounds great Molly. I love the holiday foods and winter foods. There are yummy foods that only come out this time of the year. They tend to be heavy, creamy and rich foods, that are ohhhhh soooo delllllliiiiiiccciousssssss!

Today I found my favorite Christmas drink, well they've been having the normal stuff out for almost a month now. But I was able to ignore them. But the special one was at the store today, and I bought a few for OH. I had to take some sips from him. It's so yummy. I've ignored all the holiday sweets and yummies that's been out for weeks now. It seems every year the foods come out earlier and leave later.

In January one of my favorite Swedish pasteries comes out. Well it's offically supposed to come out around March, but every year they come out earlier, last year they were out by late January. They're so bad, they're made for fattening up on before lent Semla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , the Danish ones are really good too. I'll have to fight hard during Jan-Mar.

I'm so guilty of going down in a flaming fit of frustration when the scale doesn't go down >_<

Oh I forgot Baileys!!! lol. A friend of mine told me that she and her husband only buy butter at christmas, so it is extra special for them.
I have to admit though that one of my favorite Christmas foods is brussel sprouts!!!!!! lol. And yes, I have already bought 2 nets of fresh ones. Lurve them.
I remember last year I was on weight watchers, and making these lovely low fat mince pies, but I also remember that I ate them, but also ate the real things, so this year, its about moderation for me. Having a little of what I fancy but not using it as an excuse to spend the whole of December partying on christmas food!!!
xx

(quickie before I fall asleep, the portion pots are working out well for measuring things onto our big dinner plates, but for things that go in a bowl or small plate I find myself still using my add-and-weigh digital scale as it saves on washing up to measure straight onto the dish! :D )

clarri said:
Oh I forgot Baileys!!! lol. A friend of mine told me that she and her husband only buy butter at christmas, so it is extra special for them.
I have to admit though that one of my favorite Christmas foods is brussel sprouts!!!!!! lol. And yes, I have already bought 2 nets of fresh ones. Lurve them.
I remember last year I was on weight watchers, and making these lovely low fat mince pies, but I also remember that I ate them, but also ate the real things, so this year, its about moderation for me. Having a little of what I fancy but not using it as an excuse to spend the whole of December partying on christmas food!!!
xx

Great attitude, Clarri! Moderation is the key. Though, after a few baileys( I could live on it) my resolve weakens and then the cheese and crackers just whisper seductively in my ear!!

xx

I love sprouts... my problem is that I love them the best when they have butter and bacon in them. Heh! :D

I know what you mean about the mince pies, I've found myself doing this with things in the past too!

Very interesting article. Would be sweet deal if the last line was true :).

I'm quite lucky that I don't like mince pies / christmas pudding / christmas cake / eggnogg and all those other christmassy naughties! And ever since I was a small child, 'christmas dinner' for our family was a slap-up Indian curry - a tradition that I've got my husband hooked on too : )

Back