Chickpea Chat

Ohh your Christmas dinner sounds yummy!

Ohhh now I'm having extremely wishful thoughts about presenting my outlaws with a curry spread on Christmas day! Heh!

It would be very intersting to see your inlaws face when they spot a curry spread :)

By the way, I forgot to post this earlier in the week. Top "learn from my experience and save yourselves!" tip of the week (which I'd forgotten but was forcibly reminded of): don't have a meal right before going to the chiropractor. Even if you think you ate lightly it's quite possible you will spend most of the appointment trying not to vomit onto your nice chiropractor's shoes. (I managed not to, but it was quite distinctly unpleasant. It also reminded me just how much belly fat I still have to lose. :( )

Tip noted and logged. I will not eat before chiroprator visit.

Apart from the vomit, your gut does an awful lot of rumbling at a Physio/chiro session if you've eaten just beforehand!!

irish molly said:
Apart from the vomit, your gut does an awful lot of rumbling at a Physio/chiro session if you've eaten just beforehand!!

Heh yep! And strangely at reflexology too! The body is odd.

Actually, I have a funny story about last christmas' curry dinner...

Hubbie had got me a box of mangoes for christmas (long story, but essentially even though I hate mangoes, over summer I get pathologically obsessed with monioring the price of boxes of mangoes sat outside the local grocers - they can fluctuate over $20 overnight !!) so we spent Christmas morning making mango chutney together to go with the samosas for the curry spread.

We'd decided to have Christmas dinner in the evening so my friend who was working to 6pm could join us, and I'd decided on making the samosas, then aloo channa masala, dahl makhani, with a selection of breads etc and rice.
Early afternoon, I though we might as well make the aloo channa masala now and then just heat it up later to make things easier. Went in the cupboard to get the tins of chickpeas out to find out I'd forgotten to buy any !! :D Whoops! So we spend the afternoon aimlessly driving round trying to find somehwere open that sells chickpeas. Unsucessfully I should add. We found some canned peas in the local garage, so I decided to convert into making aloo matar instead.
Late afternoon we decided to make a start on the dahl makhani, but I couldn't find the bag of black lentils anywhere. And I knew there was a big pack of them we'd had for ages. After a long fruitless search I suddenly remembered a few weeks before I'd sewn a doorstop for the study and used the lentils to fill it. :eek:. Things were not going well... I ended up have to dismantle the doorstop to rescue the lentils :D as the dinner was starting to fall apart.

Finally started to cook all the various components, thinking it can't get any worse, only to find out that hubby had finished up all the cooking oil the week before and not mentioned it, so we had to deep fry the samosas in our posh olive oil :D
So it was not the worlds finest Christmas curry spread, but it certainly kept us entertained all day! As you can tell, we're both frightfully organised individuals.... :D

Oh wow, sounds like it was a wild ride. But at least the food sounded really yummy!

Ah Ruth your Christmas story is sooo funny. At least you did not let all the disasters spoil the day !

I am thinking I might make pumpkin pie to serve after our boxing day dinner of turkey and ham tettrazini - most are going ice skating after lunch, leaving me free to putter for awhile!

Otherwise I'd have to bake it Christmas afternoon and I'm already planning to implement Ashie's suggestion of a 'nap'!

Also if I'm completely honest it's partly to avoid our guests scoffing all the leftovers! As they'll be going the following morning. Selfish Plum!!

How is everyone feeling after the holidays? I've put on a few pounds (although I was 169 on boxing day, hence ticking my signature goal! ha!) and eaten plenty of things that I shouldn't - although definitely not as many as I would have eaten in previous years. I enjoyed myself though and although I tried to make good choices, I allowed myself enough festive foods to also feel as though I had celebrated.

To be honest it would be really easy now to carry on, we've still got tubs of snack mix, tins of chocolate (so much chocolate), muffins in the freezer etc etc. and it is easy to just pick something up and graze on it. That's why I'm trying to plan all my meals in January, as if it's planned and shopped for I will most likely eat it rather than going with the all-chocolate all-the-time option. Hopefully anyway!

Now the problem I have is what to do with the leftover naughty foods. Some I can take in to work (chocs etc) which I think I'll have to as my husband will otherwise plow through them. I am not a nannying spouse but keep having to point out to my husband that now that he's 40 and as he comes from a family with plenty of cancer (including bowel cancer) he really shouldn't continue to trough lots of processed sugary junk. He doesn't have the motivation of avoiding weight gain as he's one of those who can eat everything and anything and remain twig-like and so he'll nod his head but then eat an entire pack of soft cookies or something, just because it's there.

Hope you're all well and that you had lovely times over the holidays, and that you'll be posting away again soon so we can all get through January together!

I'm glad that you had a lovely time. Hope the whole hosting Christmas for the in-laws wasn't too traumatic. :p

I know what you mean about it being easy to carry on and graze on the sugary, high GI foods. I have been doing my best to rein in my eating from yesterday but I have not been too strict. I thought that I would officially start on Wednesday with the whole mfp and weighing food and stuff as that is my weigh-in date but use the few days leading up to it to ease into it slowly. Psyche myself up for it. :D

I have some milk chocolate but it'll go to OH's work but that's about it. I drank all the Baileys (my share!), eaten all the shortbreads and there is nothing left to "tempt" me in my house. At my mum's though, whole boxes of chocolates still waiting to be opened. She does not even attempt to hide them so every time I go into the kitchen there they are. Grrr.

Actually Ashie I was pleasantly surprised, everyone seemed to have a nice time so there was no stressful whinging going on. I like your 'easing back into it' strategy but the chocs at your mums do sound like quite the temptation!

Oh, Baileys, I'm conveniently ignoring the presence of a completely new bottle in our cupboard... I was hoping people would drink it all up but nobody had any at all!

You've done really well Plum, and that's wonderful that Xmas turned out well too :)

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it hard to resist telling others about the GI/GL of foods? The guy next to me at work has new potatoes, sweetcorn and fruit every lunchtime to stay trim and it is sooo hard not to point out that he could actually eat a lot more with some modifications! Not in a know it all way but because he always seems starving!

Gosh, I'm not surprised you want to tell the guy next to you about GI/GL, how have you resisted for so long?

I am the same, I have to admit. I really have to rein in my evangelical tendencies when it comes to GI/GL. My family just roll their eyes now and have started talking over me (how rude :D), luckily most people are much too polite to say anything and patiently hear me out and then tuck into their big plate of pasta and garlic bread.

Back