Chickpea Chat

Ditto!!!! I used to rave to everyone about GL and just how easy it is and how it is sooo not like a diet. I gave up once I saw the glazed look in their eyes!!! Lol! Their loss!!
GL rocks!!!!

Ahh there are so many threads at the mo that my brain can't keep up, lol! Glad it's not just me who wants to tell people they could eat better! :D

Molly, that link looks really good! I've bookmarked for more leisurely reading, thank you!

Random tip I just read: if a tomato-based recipe calls for a pinch of sugar (or is just a bit acidic) put in a bit of grated carrot instead (of the sugar, not the tomato)! I'm going to try it! (assuming I don't forget...)

Random tip I just read: if a tomato-based recipe calls for a pinch of sugar (or is just a bit acidic) put in a bit of grated carrot instead (of the sugar, not the tomato)! I'm going to try it! (assuming I don't forget...)

I've used my agave syrup before :D. I love my agave syrup :)

I know the feeling of wanting to tell everyone about low GI/GL, and for me + yoga. I hear people all the time, oh I feel so tired after eating, or I ate too much, or I'm going to do this or that to lose weight. I'm like oh dear, oh my, I try to tell them sure you lose alot of weight quickly with say shakes or atikins style, but it returns quick too.

I'm surprised at how many people are like oh no low GL doesn't sound like it's for me, it's too healthy sounding or too much work. Or no it's too much cooking and preparing. I'm thinking goodness to myself "it's all that processed ish that you eat that's bad for you."

I just let my results and a smaller me speak for itself :) I've gotten a couple people into yoga at least, and my parents into a low GLish style of eating. So I figure hey at least some people are getting it :)

Sounds like you are a good emissary Cali! :D it's funny isn't it how some people are scared of things that sound 'too healthy' - it's like heaven forbid and we are trying to poison them or something. ;) that said when I was naturally slim many years ago I was puzzled that some people dieted quite restrictively so I guess it's all down to peoples' own experience.

My mom has always been a health nut but she's got much more extreme over the years and now tries to avoid any grains or sugar at all. Which means when she has a blip it's much worse in her eyes - 'omg I ate a slice of wholegrain rye bread, aaaargh'. So I personally think low GI/GL is a nice middle ground! :D

I have used the agave syrup before in tomato sauce too (or sweet freedom I use now) and you're right it works well! Just nice to have an alternative in case it's needed. :)

Plum, was it the starchy stuff that surprised you? Yes, they do have protein but it is thought of as incomplete protein if you eat say, just rice. That's why if you eat plant based protein you always need to mix it up, (starch+legumes, legumes+dairy or starch+dairy) to make a complete protein meal.

But you probably know this anyway :)

Interesting article Cali! One of the comments linked to information about agave syrup that has really made me rethink using it especially since I have an easy alternative product available (Sweet Freedom) which has a much lower fructose percentage. Googling just now I found this page which seems to offer a balanced view on the subject:

Agave Controversy – (757) 482-4490 - The Coaching Pair

Thank you for the articles Plum, they're very interesting. The one about starvation mode was super interesting. It's not fun when the metabolism isn't working right. That's how I gained my weight, but fixing my body and metabolism is how I'm losing it:)

Thank you low GL and yoga!

Very good article Plum. I agree with the whole cutting calories thing, sure you the scale goes down, but in the end he lost 20lbs of muscle on his body from it. Also the worst thing was he was going to the gym too, so ouch.

It's always confused on how much to eat or not when working out. Like I know I'm doing some exercise, but it feels like a fine line of losing weight or gaining. You know with the whole not eating enough thing.

I also gotta keep the portion in check. It's so easy to see the portions go up.

I saw this link and thought it was interesting to see how much 100 calories of sweets is. Goodness it's amazing how little it is with high GL. Eating a whole apple with only about 60 calories feels so much better and so much more filling :)

Photos of 100 Calories of Valentine Candy

Yep it's amazing how quickly those calories add up. I usually make holiday chocolates last by having one each evening in place of my usual dark chocolate. But only until they're gone and then I go back to the good stuff. :)

I can't even imagining eating milk chocolate atm. I tried some during Xmas, and they were too sweet for me. Even after I reach goal weight, I don't think I'll go back to eating milk chocolate. I think it'll be dark chocolate for me from now on and forever:)

I was really interested in your comments about processed food. I went to slimming world and it was all packets of pasta n sauce and lots of low fat diet yogurts etc. I am a bit of a foodie and the idea of eating all those chemicals put me off.

Then I thought well at least they are getting thin on that kind of stuff and I'm not.

Sometimes I wonder about doing lighter life just to get a great initial loss but I just think its unnatural.

My mum came to visit on christmas day with a magazine article about gastric bypass hypnotherapy - great timing thanks mum!

I know what you mean, I did slimming world for 6 months at the start of 2011 and it amazed me that I could eat mugshots, muller lights etc until they were coming out my ears (sorry, 'until satisfied') but heaven forbid I should want some avocado or peanut butter as it would eat up my syns for the entire day. I actually felt worse while doing SW because the 'culture' for want of a better word was to eat things like curly wurlys, pink and white wafers, etc with the syns - although it was *possible* to use syns on more nutritious things, I didn't find myself doing so - and those things (along with chemicalised foods and artificial sweeteners) just don't agree with me. A bit of dark chocolate, though, and I'm a happy bunny.

Your point about 'at least they are getting thin', well, as I have switched to low GI I have found that it's perfectly possible to lose weight whilst eating more natural foods. I know the things that make me either bloat or put on fat (white carbs or too many of the good carbs) and so I avoid those things. I don't lose as quickly as some people on SW do, but I never did, even when I was doing SW.

(haha - you have to love mums sometimes don't you!)

At my SW class I used to get annoyed when the leader told members the reason they didn't lose weight was because they ate other low calorie yogurts other than Mullerlight, and it was nothing to do with the unlimited pasta in sauce.

A lot of the members in my class used to eat SW quiche which was 3 eggs, a tub of cottage cheese and a packet of batchelors savoury pasta, and this was one serving!. I believe it can be a good healthy diet but you need to watch portion sizes and stay away from the rubbish.

Back