Chickpea Chat

I just hate all these "lo cal" this and "low fat" that products. Most of them contain so much hidden sugars and additives. A little of the full fat version of anything is more satisfying than the chemical taste of the "healthy" alternatives.

It's great to see a lot more people posting on the GI forum. I hope that everyone finds GI/GL as liberating as I do. It's such a healthy and free way to keep on track.
Keep posting everyone and share your journey.

How are you ladies enjoying the new design of the forums?

It's taking a bit for my comp here to load it. Also still trying to figure out all the buttons since they're different now.

Ooh, hadn't realised - I'm on my phone. I'll check it out tonight. :)

(to those of you reading this in your subscribed threads, make sure you visit the forum to read the announcement/update, and change your password. :) )

In case anybody is interested, I got an email today with a link to 28 days worth of free 10 minute toning workouts by Rosemary Conley. The first one is here:

Day 1 Toning Exercises - Amazing Inch Loss Plan | Toning | Rosemary Conley TV

Along the right-hand side of the page there's a box titled 'Related Videos' and that has links to days 2-28 in it.

The first one is pretty gentle toning, she does say it will get harder as the weeks go by. ;)

Thanks for the link, Cali - I eat most of those fairly regularly except sage (which I can only eat in small amounts - my mom is allergic to it and I'm not exactly allergic but I do know about it if I eat too much) and saffron (which I have, and love, but always forget is lurking in the cupboard :) ).

plum x

I meant to post this ages ago, I pinched it from the forums at MyFitnessPal. It's a guideline for weight loss goals if you want to make sure you are losing fat and not muscle:

The less you have to lose the smaller your deficit should be, this means slower weight loss. Here is a guide when setting weekly weight loss goals that are appropriate for you:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Last edited:
That's really helpful info Plum, thank you:) I'll have to keep that weightloss amounts in mind when I kick back into high gear.

Looks like I have a lot of catching up reading to do on the low GL forums, and also a lot of new threads to read too :) Hope everyone is doing well!

the whole diet industry culture is dreadful.
Quite a few years ago i did TV spot on Look North parliament programme to support an early Day Motion to regulate the diet industry. but the all-male TV crew were so biased.

i wonder if there's any comparative long-term studies of benefits / negative aspects of staying overweight but eating healthily compared with yo-yoing on fake food diets.

I think there's something fundamentally screwy about trying to cheat your body with artificial sweeteners, and 'dead' food.

re: milk chocolate
I'm not sure that I actually even like it !
I reckon it's the lure of the fat and sugar rush.

I know far too many yoyo dieters, and I don't think what they do is healthy at all. Sure they lose weight quickly, but they gain it right back. Also they don't teach themselves to enjoy things in moderation. Sure I didn't drop a lot of weight quickly, I'm still on the larger side, but I'm 100x healthier and stronger now.

Just curious whether anybody else has tried Stevia since it was approved for sale as a sweetener in the EU? I first tried Pure Via which I liked the taste of but which drove me nuts with mood swings until I realised it had maltodextrin in it (very high GI) as a bulking agent and stopped using it. Then I tried Truvia, which uses erythritol for bulk (a sugar alcohol, low GI like xylitol) and that seemed ok. Both of these products have a bulking agent so that you can measure them out more comparably with sugar.

I was curious to try the 'pure' stevia powder, though, so I bought some off of Amazon and this has turned out to be my favourite. You only use a tiny tiny amount (we measure it using the end of a cocktail stick) but it doesn't have a funny taste and I like knowing that it doesn't have extras added to it. It's great being able to use it in things like greek yoghurt with a little vanilla extract and now I've even got some tablets that I use to sweeten things like hot cocoa. I'm definitely a convert!

thanks - that's very encouraging. I'm considering giving the stevia liquid a trial.

I've tried Xylitol before, which is derived from Birch trees(?) but wasn't impressed, plus it's been suggested it's dangerous to dogs, which made me anxious about accidental spillages.

i've currently got maple syrup flavoured agave syrup which I have with porridge, and sweet freedom which I've used successfully for baking pineapples that were a bit cheap and tart.:eek:

thanks for sharing the rhubarb recipe. I'd pretty much given up eating it due to the vast quantities of sugar needed to sweeten it.

I forgot to say, I've a new bottle of liquid stevia on order. The powder/tablets I have are Daforto brand so I've ordered some of their liquid to try. I did try the Sweet Leaf brand but to me it had a bit of a funny taste!

Back