Chicory root makes you toot

Lynn_

On A Mission!
My god my stomach is giving me gip. Gurgling burbling, passing wind, and now the diarhea has set in big time.

Its been suggested that the Exante bars are the problem, so i had a look on the Exante website to see if they contain anything that might be laxative. One ingrediant stood out to me, chicory root. So i googled it and found someones blog on another site, this is an extract from it.

'Bit of trivia: (these) bars contain chicory root, which is a type of inulin that makes you feel full without adding extra calories. Inulin is a prebiotic, containing the food for the good bacteria that live in the bowel. Lots of food. After eating said food, the little bacterii start burping . A LOT . To borrow a phrase from Project Runway, there is entirely too much tootie'

I then found on other websites that chicory root extract is in fact a laxative.

I love these bars and they are so convenient to take to work, but not if this is the side effect. I work for a bank and visit their clients every day, I cant be doing with being 'jet propelled' during a meeting, its just not customer friendly lol

lol but it's good to see just how natural they are! I tend to have my bar in the evening (but I work from home) and think it would be good if Exante did a tetra style shake to take out and about!!

Back