Christmas - Are you staying on the SW plan or allowing yourself a couple of days off?

I tend to be off plan on Christmas Day and spend boxing day resting it off.

The hardest part is the lead up to Christmas with all the Christmas goodies chocolates,gingerbread etc. In December our workplace practically becomes a chocolate shop with people bringing in roses,celebrations. Not forgetting the annual Christmas bake sale!
Christmas day seems easier compared to all that temptation!

A client bought me in a big box of chocolates yesterday, which was so sweet ... and I'm doubly chuffed because they made their way straight to my Christmas present stash to be re-gifted without me opening them and inhaling the entire contents in one sitting (which is what I would have done pre Sw lol) :D

We're having christmas at our house so I have control of the menu. It's my intention to cook a low syn christmas dinner - smoked salmon and prawn starter and pavlova with whipped total (use sweetener) and rasberries. The turkey trimmings will be as low syn as I can manage.

I usually go mad at christmas and end up with a big gain, feeling really bloated and heavier than ever. I'm not letting that happen this year. I need to make December count -since I've wasted the rest of the year (*blush)

Burstingattheseams - back bacon with the fat trimmed off makes good syn free bacon rolls (I roll them and thread them onto skewers) and I use the Linda McCartney rosemary sausages (defrosted) to make stuffing balls (which my non SW doing son prefers to ordinary stuffing lol - he even asks for them!). Or you can roll the defrosted sausages into smaller sausage shapes and wrap them in the bacon for combined pigs in blankets/stuffing :D Chopped trimmed bacon bits, fried in frylight with a little chopped red onion is lovely stirred through Brussels and, melted LowLow cheese spread makes a fab cheese sauce for cauliflower cheese for very few syns (or you can use it as a part of your HeA for the day :) ) - and that also reduces your need for gravy! Syn free gravy made from a stock pot and a blitzed cooked onion is lovely too (just bake a large onion, in it's skin, in the bottom of the oven or in the microwave until it's soft and gooey and whizz it up in/with a blender with a stock pot and a little water until it's smooth and as thick or runny as you like it).

I also do spiced red cabbage without using (synned) grated apple - and add 1/2 cup of sugar free apple squash (neat) to get the flavour without the syns. A great syn free prawn marinade is crushed garlic, lemon juice and either fresh chopped dill or a teaspoon of sugar free garden mint from a jar (but the dill goes particularly well with smoked salmon).

Enjoy! :D

I find these days that eating fatty foods makes me feel ill, so making Christmas dinner syn free is a win-win - I feel virtuous (lol), don't gain and don't feel bloated, sick or uncomfortable :D

Thanks Molly Polly - loads of really good ideas there!!x

I got the Xmas book and we have decided to make a few dishes to take. I am going ask how do you make the spiced cabbage it sounds lovely. Will look into the Linda macartney sausages too :)

I got the Xmas book and we have decided to make a few dishes to take. I am going ask how do you make the spiced cabbage it sounds lovely. Will look into the Linda macartney sausages too :)

Spiced Red Cabbage

1 Medium red cabbage - cored and shredded
2 Red onions - halved and thinly sliced
2 teaspoons sweetener (I just use 2 sweetex as I'm not keen on granulated sweeteners)
3 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
1/2 Cup sugar free apple squash (undiluted)
1 1/2 pints chicken stock
1 Mulled Wine Spice 'tea bag'
Salt & Pepper

Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees. Total cook time 3 1/2 hours

Layer the red cabbage and onions in a deep oven tray, seasoning with salt & pepper in between layers. Make a divot in the middle and pop the mulled wine sachet in it. Make the chicken stock and add sweetener. Pour the vinegars and squash over the cabbage/onions, then add chicken stock until fluid level is about halfway up the cabbage. Cover tightly with foil and put in oven. After one hour, uncover, stir, cover and put back in oven.... repeat one hour later. One hour later, uncover, stir and put back in the oven uncovered for 1/2 hour. Stir and serve :D (it keeps really well in a tupperware and also freezes well).

Yayy mollymolly thank you so much x x

That's great to know I will section into batches and freeze some, this is such a great site x

I'm going to my aunt and uncle's for Christmas - they run a hotel so I'm not exactly sure what we're doing for Christmas dinner, although I can pretty much guarantee that it won't be syn free! I think I'm going to try my hardest to stick to plan as much as possible, but I won't beat myself up for going a few syns over on Xmas eve, Xmas day and Boxing day!

I think I am going to have Christmas Day off slimming world but try and avoid all the usual traps before hand like the chocolate and mince pies, at least there is always lots of veg on Xmas say which I can also fill up on x

I have Wriggled my way out of going to my sisters this year :) i will be cooking yay lol we having our food hear then sis and family will come over for tea (buffet) so salads ect for tea...But im veggie this year to.so things will be so much easier..Im planing on sticking to plan...as one year many moons ago i gained 7LB :O Not this year..Im getting to Target in 2015 Hoping to be there by May As that's my Birthday :D Great ideas though..and great thread :D x

Sticking 100 percent

Champagne will be synned

Otherwise will be lots of veg & potatoes! Syn free :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I'm going to stick to plan on the days I'm not celebrating xmas.

We have 2 xmas days - one with my family one with dh's so although I'll try not to got OTT I'm going to enjoy the food. My grans birthday is also Christmas week and we are having family over on the 23rd. I think I'll try and have low/no syn days for the rest of the week to balance out some of the food.

I intend to mostly avoid mince pies, chocolates etc until Xmas/boxing day and then boxing day for a few days after I'm at the in laws who eat a very healthy diet (pretty much sw) so I'm hoping this'll balance things out.

Realistically, I think it's fine to enjoy the festivities, it's only when it lasts two full weeks you put on weight!

Hi everyone!

I'm quite new to Slimming World and I just would like to hear what everyone's eating plans are going to be round Christmas. As I'm doing SW at home, I don't go to a class or see a consultant so I'm not sure if they recommend you can Flexi-Syn on Christmas day or if you do stick to the plan?

I was thinking of sticking to the plan all through Christmas (as best I can!) then having Christmas day off as I'm with all my family and it maybe tricky to stick to the SW plan with all those temptations about.

Or... do I just take that 1 Christmas day off, enjoy it and then get back on the plan on Boxing day?

any advice would be appreciated

Have a great SW week everyone! :)

I hope you have a great result with Slimming World :) It has changed my life :) When I first joined Slimming World 3 years ago, I stuck to the plan and lost 7lbs Christmas week. I was over the moon and I had all my favourite things just Slimming World friendly.

This Christmas I'm going to stay within my syns and have a great week :) Whatever you do, the main thing is to have fun and enjoy yourself :) You can either flexible it, save syns for Christmas Day or food optimise as much as possible. Whatever you do, you can undo any gains the next week or so :)

Back