Christmas Cake

SpaceAngel

I ate my willpower!
I have posted this in my puddings thread but its so good that I though I would give it it's own thread. The most annoying thing is that I wanted to make it today so I went to Tesco to get the Quark and it was sold out. It is never sold out. I bet all the ladies from the class last night went an emptied Tesco!

Syns for the whole cake 8.5 or 6 syns and 1 HEXB Choice. The cake will be about 4-6 portions though.

5 Scan Bran
2 beaten eggs
1 tbsp golden syrup
2 level tbsp mincemeat
2.5 tbsp sweetener
1.5 tsp mixed spice
grated zest of lemon for extra zing (optional)
1 pot Quark
Brandy essence

Soak the scan bran in boiling water to soften. Then drain and mash.

Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly.

Pour the mixture into a microwavable pyrex dish/tray and microwave on high for about 8 mins. When the cake is cooked it will be springy to the touch and will have pulled away from the sides.

When the cake is cooked, top with beaten quark with a few drops of brandy essence.

My leader made this yesterday and we managed to get through 2 of them! It's fanatastic and everyone bought scan bran yesterday!

We love you Spaceangel, your a star with your recipes, will help get us through Xmas. Thanks :sign0168: xxx

I've never tried scan bran before but hear so much about it. I think I'll buy some at class tonight and make this for next week :) Thanks for taking the time to share this. You're a star! xxx

Your welcome! I have hoping that Tesco have quark back in stock today.

Im usually not one for puddings, but even this sounds wonderful to me!!! Thank you!!!

Kerry-Ann
xx

What do I do if I haven't got a microwave?!?!

Stick it in the oven at 200 degrees until it's springy on top and starting to some away at the sides. Try checking it every 10 mins!

Tesco have got quark so I have brought 4 pots!

It doesn't come out like proper cake but it's an alternative when you want to save a couple of syns!

I've made this plus I also turned it into a marmalade cake swapping the mincemeat for low-sugar marmalade and using ginger instead of mixed spice :)

ooo im so trying this! where can u get brandy essence from would actual brandy be the same syns? thank you for this reciepe sound awesome!

A lady at our group made it using a bun tin and putting it in the oven, and she added some other ingredients and the cakes were incredible. I am hoping she will bring in the recipe next week.

I made this and thought it was lovely. You need to make sure that the scan bran is quite wet though.

hi there, Iam a cder, and getting nearer and nearer to goal, I have been looking at some of the sw recipes, and scan bran is mentioned alot, where do you get it from?
Thanks so much

The quark is for an optional topping to put on the cake once it's cooled. Scanbran you can get at meetings but I've also found it in holland and barrett with the other crispbread, it was £1.09 a packet.

I buy it from h&b im not sure how much it is in class does anyone know?
Also im a bit disappointed i've just got back from ASDA and i couldnt see this quark stuff anywhere...i was looking with the yoghuts and stuff was i in the right place...and also where can you get it from please?x

I bought the scan bran in class and it was £1.

I made this cake and it was lovely. I couldn't find brandy essence anywhere, so I used a bit of imagination. I put some almond essence in instead, and sweetened it with a bit of splenda. Then spread it on the cooled cake and finished it with a light dusting of cinnamon. I brought it to class tonight. My consultant made one as well, but she didn't put the quark on top, she just put a spoonful of icing sugar on hers (which added a syn). Everyone seemed to prefer mine. Many commented that the quark made the whole cake seem more moist.

I had trouble finding the brandy essence too. The quark makes it really nice. You can substitute the mincemeat for grated carrot to make carrot cake. Also add some cinnamon. Reckon that would be lovely.

Back