Christmas Food Ideas and Recipes.

Principessa N

Minimins Addict
Hi Mini's,
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where we could all share our fav xmas recipes and ideas. I am cooking xmas dinner for the first time, for my mum, dad and finace (don't no why i'm so worried i cook sunday dinners most weeks) but i'd like to stay on plan over christmas. The only thing i can think of is sw friendly roasties but i'm not sure if they would work.

Why not try experimenting on SW Roasties before the big day. Sacrifice a few spuds til you get it right. Or if it's just disaster after disaster... forget it... make ordinary ones and just have a couple. It's Christmas after all!

As for other things, I'm going to be making that SW Christmas Cake that was posted on here the other day, and will be bringing it to class with me on Wednesday. I'm also thinking bringing those baked apples that are first cored and then filled with a spoonful of mincemeat and sprinkled with cinnamon. I think you can top them with fromage frais or quark that has been blended to make it creamier, with cinnamon added. Or I might go totally indulgent and use a dollop of low fat Creme Fraiche with cinnamon on top. Mmmmmmm...

well i am cooking for 17 people and doing 3 courses for the lunch - melon and parma ham for non fish eaters and prawns and smoked salmon for fish eaters, followed by usual xmas dinner but also doing new pots for me and my dad (dad on low cholesteral diet) and then mum buying lots of desserts but she is doing a large fruit salad and has got me some mueller light instead of cream

Chrimbo dinner

Starting with Chilli King Prawn Salad

Roast Leg of Pork,Roast potatoes Brushed with goose fat,Glazed Parsnips and carrots,Sprouts with chestnuts,pigs in blankets,sage and cranberry stuffing,homemade apple sauce and gravy.

Trifle or Fresh fruit salad and creme frais.

All done sw way and synned,will use all 15 syns today only!

Think i'm going to have a bash at these for me

Garlic and rosemary roast baby potatoes
Information
Serves: 4
Syns per serving: Free on Green, 8 Syns on Original
Preparation time:
10 minutes
Cooking time:
70 minutes
Ingredients
908g/2lb baby potatoes
2 garlic cloves
a few sprigs rosemary
4 tbsp vegetable stock
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
fresh rosemary to garnish
1.Preheat the oven to 200ºC/Gas Mark 6. Scrub the potatoes and place in a large ovenproof casserole. Peel the garlic and slice thinly. Push in amongst the potatoes along with sprigs of rosemary.
2. Spoon over the stock, cover with a sheet of foil and place the lid on top. Bake in the oven for about an hour or until tender.
3. Increase the oven temperature to 230ºC/Gas Mark 8. Transfer the potatoes to a non-stick baking tray using a draining spoon. Season with coarse salt and black pepper. Bake for a further 10 minutes until lightly golden. Discard the baked rosemary and replace with fresh rosemary to garnish.

Do you think if i measured them out i could have them as hex on a red day?

hmmm how about
a mincemeat cous cous cake
the sweet mincemeat im talking about!!!
i just made one 2 syns lovely even mum & dad thought it was nice...
that's a bit christmassy....
o and plz can we have the xmas cake recipe im dying to try it out!
xxx

hmmm how about
xxx

yea i make that one its lush aint it.
Just got to get some mince meat in!
x

hmmm how about
xxx

Hi there

I'm one of those dreadful newbies who can't find their way around the board.
At the risk of upsetting people, any chance of the recipe for the mincemeat couscous cake?

Lisa x

Think I'll be giving the mincemeat couscous cake a try soon - should it be 4 syns though as I think mincemeat is 2syns per tablespoon?

I made the christmas pudding today, not sure where the original recipe was but I adapted it to two big portions anyway. Had it with some vanilla yoghurt, nice and satisfying and a bit more substantial than the christmas cake version :)

Scan Bran Christmas Pudding
Serves 2 - 5 syns each (10 for whole pudding)

1 Weetabix (3 syns)
4 scan bran (2 syns)
1 tbsp. Mincemeat (2 syns)
1.5 tbsp. Golden syrup (3 syns)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp. Brandy essence
1/2 tsp. Ginger
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 and 1/2 tsp. Mixed spice
powdered sweetener to taste

Break scan bran into small pieces then sprinkle on hot water. Leave a few minutes then break up with a fork, until scan bran resembles breadcrumbs (use extra hot water as necessary). Crumble in the Weetabix, stir in the mincemeat, syrup, brandy essence, spices and sweetener. Mix in the beaten egg and stir well. To cook: Place in a microwavable pudding bowl microwave on high for 10-12 minutes until firm.

New Year Soup !!

Inspired by the new SW diet i made this soup today and was enjoyed by all the bean houshold ...
its very easy and use 2 of everything..
2 sweet potato
2 chicken breast
2 leeks
2 pieces celery
2 garlic cloves
i jar chicken bovril

just chop it all into bites size pieces make the stock with 1 1/2 pints of water and simmer all for 1 hour ..have to say it was rather yummy and will be my new year favourite and all free!!!!
enjoy and have a wonderful new year xxxx

Back