Christmas Time

Well my dillemma is that I can prob abstain until christmas day but then I will fall off the programme. So rather than disappoint myself I will take myself off it and then go back on it the following day.

My brother did LL about a year ago and lost 10 stone. It was having Christmas dinner that eventually undid him about 7lbs before reaching goal weight. That is part of the reason I am abstaining.

However, my main reason is the following:

When I first started LighterLife I felt a bit like a social outcast in that I couldn't drink or eat. I felt like my social life was limited and would have to become a recluse. However, I'm now six weeks in and my thinking has changed. I find it easy to go to birthday parties, the pub and various other things and only drink sparkling water. In fact, the time I am most tempted is when I am on my own, not in a social situation. I don't mean to sound judgmental or all high and mighty but the fact people are looking forward to eating so much, makes me concerned that people aren't changing their attitude towards food and it's role in enjoying themselves.

This post isn't meant to berate anyone, just raise a bit of 'food for thought' (if you'll excuse the expression).

I totally agree. Though I disagree to an extent. My view on food has changed. I no longer walk by a Mcdonalds and pile through the door like a bull in Pamplona. I am infact revolted by the thought of fast food. my cravings now are for veg and fruit.

The times I have fallen off the wagon are all drink related. I love a fine red, and at christmas time we get taken out alot and have fine reds thrown at us. My attitude has changed but I still want to experience christmas dinner. I haven't had one of my mums for years and I don;t think I will be having one in the following years either. So I am eating whether you like it or not :)

But seeing as I have eaten before and got back on LL, then I shant she a problem now.

I am on CD but I will be taking a break on Christmas Eve(traditional Polish meal-we celebrate then instead of Xmas day) and also the following day.I won't however be having any chocolate or cakes or any carbs,so that I can try and stay in ketosis.I am confident that I can get back on it afterwards.

The times I have fallen off the wagon are all drink related. I love a fine red, and at christmas time we get taken out alot and have fine reds thrown at us. My attitude has changed but I still want to experience christmas dinner. I haven't had one of my mums for years and I don;t think I will be having one in the following years either. So I am eating whether you like it or not :)
I bet you do!! :) :p :giggle:

I am not abstaining! I gave myself a mini target to get to Christmas and have a dinner so that is my treat, I will have a bar/pack Xmas morning and then a low carb dinner and few drinks then boxing day completely back on the packs

Cant wait!

have a dinner so that is my treat,

Not having a go, but this just made me think about my OWN situation. I always used to use food as a treat or reward. Now I've changed my thinking and instead use 'pamper things' as a reward - I've just come home with 3 tubs of luxury moisturiser in three different smells!!!!

Hi everyone

I have recently completed foundation and have struggled with abstinence. I know that when I put my mind to it I can achieve - lost almost three stone.

I will be soing a mix and match approach with the packs over Christmas but what I will definitley be doing is sticking to my daily exercise!

Good Luck to everyone

Daisydee x
:party0011::whacky068:

Not having a go, but this just made me think about my OWN situation. I always used to use food as a treat or reward.

Same here and this is we covered in my first LL session. How food is often linked with a reward or a celebration and how to overcome this crooked thinking.

How food is often linked with a reward or a celebration and how to overcome this crooked thinking.

Yep - I remember it well as it was a bit of a 'lightbulb' moment.:eek: That's why you need to fast forward past the meal to think about how you'd think then. I KNOW that if I had an Xmas meal, I would love it at the time, but about 10 mins after I'd be wishing I hadn't had it as it would take me another week away from my goal, stall my weightloss that week (possibly make me put on!!), and waste at least £66....not to mention the whole "getting back into ketosis" nightmare!:cry: I also think I'd have trouble getting back on the LL wagon!!:eek:

However, as stated before, its horses for courses!:)

Hey all,

Im sticking on the packs apart from xmas eve - xmas day and boxing. I will have 2 packs in the morning and then a very small main meal and skip the other 2 packs. Im going to have meat and veg and vodka and thats it. I actaully want to eat and have decided that i know i can control myself and will get right back on it. I know that i will - this diet works and theres no way im giving it up!

Whatever you all decide to - we will all get back on and continue!

P x

i am staying abstinant. I am not ready to let food back into my life while i still have 4 stones left to loose. I know that if i break it now i will come up with other excuses to keep having days off (new years eve, wedding anniversary, mum's birthday, valentines day etc etc). I may have a drink of wine but i will leave that to the day to decide.

i am staying abstinant. I am not ready to let food back into my life while i still have 4 stones left to loose. I know that if i break it now i will come up with other excuses to keep having days off (new years eve, wedding anniversary, mum's birthday, valentines day etc etc). I may have a drink of wine but i will leave that to the day to decide.

That is exactly how I am going to try and be once I start the plan = I feel the same, if I go off once - I will go off a dozen times. So for me, I fear it is going to have to be all or nothing.

Good on ya! :)

After having read this thread some of you have come across as so self-righteous!
I have been abstinent since the last week of July and I fully intend on eating over Christmas despite the fact I still have 3 and a half stone to get to goal. I really don't believe (and neither does my counsellor) that one day will make any difference and having got this far, I fully intend to go straight back to abstinence after Christmas, I know how much will power I've got and I know I'm in control. I'm always going to love food, no amount of cousellling is going to change that and if we're all honest, its a big big part of Christmas and always will be. I think if you can't cope with a day/few days off abstinence - what the hell chance are you going to stand in the future when you come off abstinence?
I also think anyone who says after Christmas that sitting at the Christmas dinner table whilst eating a bowl of soup instead of turkey etc was easy and it felt good is lying, especially to themselves!

MM x

Tis a bit harsh Miss Missy.....far be it from you to know what makes others tick, and for what reason they make their decsions.

Hardly self righteous - I would say quite the contrary actually. I would say, well. Nevermind, its Christmas. I won't.

Best of luck to you, and happy your decisions work for you. They don't work for me, and based on your post not sure I really want to explain why.

Merry Christmas!

A couple of Christmases ago I decided to have a very little of whatever I really, really fancied. Nuts, for example. Cake. Dinner.

By the end of the Christmas/New Year week I'd had a ball and lost 2lbs. I was thrilled!

Food is not the enemy. Portion size is part of it, and also the reality of ketosis, when it comes to water regain over a very short period. Slender peeps eat more at Christmas, New Year, summer holidays, etc, then lose it again, gradually, in the days and weeks that follow.

Back