Christmas

In the years I've done SW I have gained between 3 and 6lb! The 3lb gain was me being pretty careful as I don't buy all the rubbish in!!! It's meals out and nibbles at people's houses.

Don't forget, this is Christmas, and while we don't have to go mad, it does come but once a year and there are another 364 (or 363) days for dieting......

I wouldnt say i was dreading christmas but it is going to be a real test for me as i normally go way over board but this was before i started on my journey.

I plan on maintaining throughout and im going to have a slimming world crimbo dinner (pigs in blankets will be synned haha but use skinny lizzie sausages) to be honest im not going eat anything different other than christmas dinner, well i dont plan on it.

The one thing that worries me is the alcohol, i havent had a drink now for 8 weeks and it hasnt bothered me and i think i can take it or leave it. The problem is when i start i dont stop as i used to be a binge drinker but hey these things are there to test us haha.

Last year I went by the mantra 'on plan, when I can' and tried to food optimise around the big meals, and chose wisely - but I did allow myself stuff because it was Xmas after all. The only difference was I didn't drink much, but I didn't miss it. I lost 1.5lb over Xmas week. Now I'm NOT expecting that this year (though it'd be nice) as I'm having 3 different xmas meals with family / OH's family. I get weighed on Xmas Eve, then am going to work around the big meals by food optimising everything else properly, will be kinda off plan Xmas day (selection box has to happen!) but then I've 4 days after Xmas to recover the week should I need to. I'm hoping for a maintain this year, I think the key really is sticking to plan when you can so you know you've done as much good as you can!

Put in 0.5 lb last year so no worries this year!

Any tips on staying good on Christmas day?!

Sooo, Christmas is just around the corner now and the mince pies are haunting me already. I'm quite new to this so would be interested to hear how others manage christmas day? Obviously some flexisyns are in order- but how many? And what typical foods at the xmas dinner table can we thrive in or should we avoid?

Would be great to get some help visualising what sort of plate of food I can have with minimal syns and maximum enjoyment! Would love to have a few drinks too!

I'm a sucker for Yorkshire puds (3 syns each?)! What sort of syns are we looking at for roast potatoes? I've never cooked them myself but believe some people fry them in oil before roasting? I'm guessing xmas Turkey would be free without the skin?

I am dreading dinner with the OH's family! I don't know them well enough and am embarassed to tell them I'm dieting. My stepmother is cooking dinner for our big family of 15 so there's nooo chance of getting un-buttered veg requests in! :/ she's not a very creative cook though so am hoping at least the gravy wont have the turkey fat in it!

It's my second christmas with SW and I'm going to do what I did last year. Off plan christmas eve, xmas day and boxing day then back on plan. I put on last year and so did most people on Minis to be honest but xmas comes but once a year and if I didn't treat myself I'd feel deprived and fall off the wagon altogether! It only took me a week to lose my gain as it was just temporary bloat, and so was well worth it.

I will continue to enjoy flexisyns. I'm doing it every week now, just counting down my 105syns. Luckily I'm doing Xmas dinner myself so it will be easy to make sensible decisions on Xmas day. I've asked family not to buy me chocolate for Xmas. Boxing day there will be a buffet which I will enjoy some but not go crazy. I'm going to enjoy Xmas for the experience, family get togethers and giving season and not get obsessed by the food!
My downfall is definately going to be the bottle of Baileys I bought yesteray :whistle:

I will continue to enjoy flexisyns. I'm doing it every week now, just counting down my 105syns. Luckily I'm doing Xmas dinner myself so it will be easy to make sensible decisions on Xmas day. I've asked family not to buy me chocolate for Xmas. Boxing day there will be a buffet which I will enjoy some but not go crazy. I'm going to enjoy Xmas for the experience, family get togethers and giving season and not get obsessed by the food!
My downfall is definately going to be the bottle of Baileys I bought yesteray :whistle:

Just to point out-what you're talking about isn't flexi syns-it's weekly-they are too very different concepts which people often confuse.
Flexible syns is where you decide you need say 70syns for a night out-you have your 5-15 syns each day prior to the night out, stay on plan all day, enjoy your 70 flexible syns and get straight back on plan the next morning.
Weekly is where you count down from 105

Sooo, Christmas is just around the corner now and the mince pies are haunting me already. I'm quite new to this so would be interested to hear how others manage christmas day? Obviously some flexisyns are in order- but how many? And what typical foods at the xmas dinner table can we thrive in or should we avoid?

Would be great to get some help visualising what sort of plate of food I can have with minimal syns and maximum enjoyment! Would love to have a few drinks too!

I'm a sucker for Yorkshire puds (3 syns each?)! What sort of syns are we looking at for roast potatoes? I've never cooked them myself but believe some people fry them in oil before roasting? I'm guessing xmas Turkey would be free without the skin?

I always Cook my roasties with frylight and a grind of sea Salt and pepper they taste fab

This is my first week on SW and I've decided I'm going to be on plan until Xmas day and Boxing day when my motto will be the good old 'stick to plan when I can'

SW has allowed me to make better choices so I'll still enjoy myself but rather than stuffing my face, I'll eat in moderation.

Excited!

Just to point out-what you're talking about isn't flexi syns-it's weekly-they are too very different concepts which people often confuse.
Flexible syns is where you decide you need say 70syns for a night out-you have your 5-15 syns each day prior to the night out, stay on plan all day, enjoy your 70 flexible syns and get straight back on plan the next morning.
Weekly is where you count down from 105

I'm confused by your definition. When the term 'flexi' is used, ordinarily in the realm of working hours, it is used to describe a flexible way of working your hours in a week. So you have a 37 hour work week, mon you might do two hours less, one hours less on tues, but wed you make it up and do the three hours missed.

In essence your sum total of hours worked does not change, you just decide how you use them. I automatically assumed this is how the term is used for Slimming World. 15 syns per day = 105 syns in a week. When you flexi you keep to your 105 syns, but you (as the example given) might use 70 syns on a night out, but for the rest of the week you dont use more than the remaining 35 syns.

Isnt that what the other poster was referring to? Is your definition is just someone breaking the diet entirely, and just starting the next day as a new day as if the previous night hadnt happen, or needs to be accounted for?

Sorry if I have misunderstood..

I'm confused by your definition. When the term 'flexi' is used, ordinarily in the realm of working hours, it is used to describe a flexible way of working your hours in a week. So you have a 37 hour work week, mon you might do two hours less, one hours less on tues, but wed you make it up and do the three hours missed.

In essence your sum total of hours worked does not change, you just decide how you use them. I automatically assumed this is how the term is used for Slimming World. 15 syns per day = 105 syns in a week. When you flexi you keep to your 105 syns, but you (as the example given) might use 70 syns on a night out, but for the rest of the week you dont use more than the remaining 35 syns.

Isnt that what the other poster was referring to? Is your definition is just someone breaking the diet entirely, and just starting the next day as a new day as if the previous night hadnt happen, or needs to be accounted for?

Slimming world use flexi syns as a way of people staying in control. Yes they may be going completely off plan but if they use flexisyns they are more likely to get back on track the next day, whereas a lot of people if they just see it as going off plan they feel like they've lost control and that can mean one ''bad'' day turns into a few bad days or even a really bad week.

When flexi-synning you shouldn't expect to loose and might even expect a small gain, it is more about not feeling like you've completely lost control

People often refer to flexible syns as having flexi syns.

I agree with WT, in fact, she posted the same thing I was going to post when I read it.

There's weekly syns, daily syns and flexible syns.

I'm fully aware of the meaning of the word 'flexible' however in this case you are wrong! My definition is not' someone breaking the diet entirely' as you put it-but slimming worlds way of keeping you accountable for what you eat, whilst enabling you have a little extra-and not just feeling like you've blown it!!!! :banghead:

WSS ^

Flexible syns are your way of controlling an otherwise troublesome event, you are not guaranteed a loss as it will be over your weekly syns, you're guaranteed control though and knowing you did it your way.

Back