Cinema Eats

louschu

Does anyone have any ideas for snacks which I could take to the cinema? I've been putting off going anywhere since being on Dukan but with it being fathers day on Sunday we have decided to have a day out at the metrocentre and visit the cinema too. Sunday is supposed to be a pp day but I could do a pv day. I associate the cinema with nachos, jalapenos and lots of yummy cheese so this is going to be a real test. I was thinking maybe some kind of vegetable crisp but don't have any dukan friendly recipes

Not to sound too strict or anything but I'd just say don't have anything. That's what I did when I went the other day. Before, I would always, ALWAYS have one of those snack pots of something like minstrels, maltesers etc., that was one of the main reasons for going!! haha. But seriously, when you think about it you don't NEED anything, and you'll save yourself an absolute fortune on the cinema confectionary prices!

I agree with Jack. Or if you really must eat why not use your daily allowance of oatbran and make some biscuits? Mix your oatbran and wheatbran together, add skimmed milk, some fake sugar if you like and even some essence and microwave until all absorbed and 'stodgy'. Shape into biscuit shapes on a baking tray and put in the oven at 200 for 10 mins, turn over and put back in for a further 5 mins until all crispy. Voila, biscuits

Does anyone have any ideas for snacks which I could take to the cinema? I've been putting off going anywhere since being on Dukan but with it being fathers day on Sunday we have decided to have a day out at the metrocentre and visit the cinema too. Sunday is supposed to be a pp day but I could do a pv day. I associate the cinema with nachos, jalapenos and lots of yummy cheese so this is going to be a real test. I was thinking maybe some kind of vegetable crisp but don't have any dukan friendly recipes

I'm going to the cinema this week or next so I was wondering the same thing! :eek:

I usually take a small bottle of Diet Pepsi with me (hidden!) and buy a regular bag of sweet popcorn from the cinema.

I've decided to buy a large Diet Pepsi from the cinema instead as I will feel I am having a treat if it comes with ice and a straw! :rolleyes: (sad, I know!)
I have been wondering about "nibbles" too as I do like to dip into something whilst the film is on and it will be hard when my friends are eating theirs.

Only thing I have come up with at the mo, is cherry toms but that's not ideal. :confused:

I always smuggle my own treats to cinemas - (and will do until cinemas serve ice cold martinis at your seat!)

Biltong is a good savory nibble - it feels like a treat because it comes in a bag
Cherry tomatoes and homemade dukan biscuits sound good.
Mini dukan muffins would also be yummy.

Make sure you eat a nice protein rich lunch or snack before you go, so that the smells of popcorn and butter don't get to you!

Good thinking! Mini toffee muffins you might even be able to flog to others (picture yourself in a nice little frilly uniform with one of those trays suspended at your front: "Dukan muffins and ice creams for sale!"

thanks for all of your replies, some good ideas, I'm sure I will be able to come up with something.

I always smuggle my own treats to cinemas - (and will do until cinemas serve ice cold martinis at your seat!)

Biltong is a good savory nibble - it feels like a treat because it comes in a bag
Cherry tomatoes and homemade dukan biscuits sound good.
Mini dukan muffins would also be yummy.

Make sure you eat a nice protein rich lunch or snack before you go, so that the smells of popcorn and butter don't get to you!

Thanks Atropos.
I've just googled Biltong as I've never heard of it before. Would I find them in a supermarket please? If so, which aisle?
Thanks xx

You may need to ask if they have it - it's usually displayed in bags on plastic strips hung in near the snack section, sometimes among the wines and beers.

Jerky is an alternative.

The last time I went I made certain to eat just before I went so I wouldn't be hungry. I also 'smuggled' in a diet coke. If I'm desperate, and there is nothing around that's safe to eat, I'll go for jerky. Just make sure it is not flavored (teriyaki) etc.

My favorite thing to get, prior to Dukan, was a big tub of buttered popcorn (buttered twice...in the middle and on top)! All of my family had popcorn except me and I was proud of myself for not tempting even one piece!

Well i've been to the cinema and resisted every temptation and just had water all the way through the film. I did buy some seafood sticks from M&S but they went straight in the bin as they were disgusting, they just tasted of sweetner! So a good result for me, just a shame the film was a load of tosh!

Atropos- I am South African and therefore LOVE biltong!! (it is south african)
are we allowed this?

for those wondering- i wouldn't imagine you will find it in supermarkets.
in london it's easier to find and there are lots of south african shops everywhere.
sometimes selfridges sell it - bot not cheap.

i have some here, from south africa, but haven't braved eating it yet!! wasn't sure??

thank you

I get the little packets, which I've found in (some) branches of tescos, sainsburys, waitrose and wh smiths.

Back