Citric Acid & VLCDs

ma.bo

Hi there..

I have been reading through the forums ALOT. There seems to be one common theme, people giving advise out regarding avoiding citric acid when on a VLCD.

Being of Medical background, I decided to do some research in journals on-line, however I can't find ANY hard evidence to suggest it alters your chances of being in Ketosis (except if you have an intolerance to Citric Acid).

?Could this be big diet companies trying to sell you products with unsound advise?

If anyone can find me any reputable research that suggest the opposite then I would be very grateful!!

Matt

Interesting, I've been wondering about ketosis as when i did ll my ketostix never changed colour much but had good losses. Does it make any difference to the speed of weight loss or does it just stop u feeling hungry?

You can still be in ketosis without the ketostix registering a colour, theyre very unreliable. If youre following the diet, unless youre incredibly carb sensitive, which is pretty rare, you WILL be in ketosis regardless what the sticks say.

Being in ketosis doesnt make any difference to weight loss but it makes things a lot easier

Not really, no. The sheer calorie deficit is what does it. ketosis is a huge help but if you look at the losses people have in their first week theyre massive, but people generally dont get into ketosis til maybe day 5 or 6.

Ketosis makes things a lot easier but its not absolutely essential. Well technically its not but I dont think I could cope on this diet without it, purely for the benefits, not so hungry, increased energy levels etc x

Ketosis

Ketosis only means your body is burning fat - including any dietary fat.
If you're not ingesting fat then, yes it means you're burning body fat.
Found this out the hard way on Atkins where you eat a lot of fat - I was heavily in ketosis and lost no weight at all.
Exante is just fine - slow but fine !
In my experience citric acid just makes me hungry - good luck everyone.

martbarr said:
Ketosis only means your body is burning fat - including any dietary fat.
If you're not ingesting fat then, yes it means you're burning body fat.
Found this out the hard way on Atkins where you eat a lot of fat - I was heavily in ketosis and lost no weight at all.
Exante is just fine - slow but fine !
In my experience citric acid just makes me hungry - good luck everyone.

What do u mean by slow? Can't lose weight any faster than a vlcd surely?

I guess everyones weightloss speed is different. We cant judge the diet only based on ourselves only :) I think the citric acid thing is a myth.....im in ketosis and still hungry everyday anyway....no more so than when ive had some citric acid....again we may just all react differently.

My comment about "slow"

Sorry - I only meant I'm finding my own weight loss slow on exante compared to CD. On my first two weeks on CD I lost 21 pounds, two years ago.
On Exante I've just finished week 2 and have lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks.

Not a fair comparison I know as my body has got used to vlcd and is more used it this time round (I guess?)

None the less am sticking with it and happy that I have control over it and love the shakes. Exante is just so convenient and so far so good.
Just yearning for a hot banana or vanilla - is there no way we warm them up enough?

I was asking if anyone on here has tried heating up shakes?
On the packet it says "cold water" and I'm too chicken to do any other :jelous:

200mls boiled water 100mls cold water, add the powder after the cold else it goes lumpy when you add the cold water

Back