clothing size dysmorphia after losses

CheeseGirl

Gold Member
Is anyone else experiencing a 'size dysmorphia' after losing a lot of weight? I thought my wardrobe ran the gamut in sizes but discovered I'm at a size right now that I have very few pieces of so off I went to Debenhams hoping for a sale, and whilst I had no such luck I was in need of some crop trousers for this weekend and I tend(ed) to shop based on 'eyeballing' the garment, as sizes vary so much from place to place. Sorry, really rambling here, but I pulled some trousers from the rack in a hopeful 16 (I know Debenhams tend to have generous sizes) and my 'eyeball' estimate said they might just fit but I went to the fitting room just in case. They were roomy, so I bought the 14 without trying them on and just now as I pulled them out of the bag I thought there is no way these will fit, but they actually do! I keep holding them up to admire how small they look compared with the size 22 I was wearing 5 short months ago! (Of course, some size 16 M&S trousers already in my wardrobe are just now fitting comfortably so I am realistic).

OK, ramble over. The brief point was - does anyone else buy clothing based on the 'eyeball' measurement and are you now surprised by what you can fit into?

This is ace!!!!!! :D Always try on!! Take a couple of sizes to the changing room and check yourself out in the mirror!!!!!!!

I think sometimes your brain doesnt keep up and your body changes shape too so what suited before might not now....! My bf ALWAYS makes me try stuff on. Annoying, and not what I wanted to do when I was a size 24 but very useful now. Especially since I keep buying stuff that resembles a potato sack unless I shop with him!!

I'm the same even when ironing my jeans I look and think they can't fit me. I was 18st 2 now 11st and all I can keep thinking is I will look slim once I got to my target of 9st 10 I'm 5ft 7.5 (the .5 is very important) and I'm in some size 10s and some 12s (just a shame my boobs are still a 14) but it's always the size 14 that I look at and think why won't you go (in my head I know this will never match my ass lol)

my friend went through this and not only did she struggle with the clothes issue, but she had a real hard time trying to get to grips with her new identity ... she went through a period where she started questionning who she was now that her body had changed. She got so upset one day because in the past she would go in a shop and nobody would talk to her or offer to help then all of a sudden she could go into shops like river island and they would fall over themselves to help her. She said it was so hurtful that people felt they could ignore a 'fat' person but it was ok to speak to her now she was slim.

She has adapted now but it has taken some time for her to get used to the changes her weightloss has brought with it.

x

I think that when you have experience it from both sides of the coin you know that people are ignorant and judgemental. It's hideous but when you're slimmer it seems to be how it is. I made a mental note the last time someone looked at me like I shouldn't be out (i was shopping With my tall slender model like sister in law- beside her I look like a troll) that I would always treat everyone equally whether I was fat or thin. It's important to be a good person and treat others the way you want to be treated. I don't know if it's just because I am more sensitive of myself now I am larger and I know because I've heard people talking about larger ladies or what it is but it's horrible.

Sorry. *some people are like this. Sometimes I am paranoid and want to fade in to the background. A colleague said the other day "good that you've got a pretty face, you forget that youre not skinny". Prime example.

I get that; 'its a shame, you've got such a pretty face'.

do people not think it hurts?

x

Wow. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just say thanks and wonder off!!! Crazy people! What a week!!!

the worst things Ive known someone has said are from my lovely mum! she has warped ideas about fat and thin etc, she is convinced shes huge when shes a size 12/10..
Ive found more men smile at me and 'eye me up' as far as I see it, and I dislike it..! after spending my teen years being ignored by boys, now ive got a decent one and theyre all looking at me now im less fat..go away! my bloke says hes gonna have to tie me down to stop another man running off with me (more physically possible me being lighter too) lol!
As long as we dont forget how horrible it can be and how bad people can treat us, Id never be fatist to anyone no matter how skinny I get (IF..heh)

And back to the main topic, I still wear clothes from 3 stones heavier ago, and they are baggy and look stupid! and I bought a couple of dresses in size 12 from asos feeling so scared they wouldnt fit.. they did! I didnt dare sit down incase they split open!

I hate all the little ways people turn insults into supposed compliment.

But you carry it so well

You always dress nicely so it doesnt matter

and the old favourite... Your face is so pretty it distracts from the rest.

hello CG, I think 5 months to get adjusted to new body proportions, that are moreover constantly changing might be some sort of a challenge. So your testimony doesn't surprise me. I don't buy clothes by the eye I always try them on, but I looked at my size 10 pair of (stretch) jeans yesterday and was indeed surprised at how much smaller they were from what I used to see as MY clothes. I wouldn't call that body dysmorphia yet ;) but adjustment to new body image :)

I still can't get used to being smaller, I have to try everything on when I buy it now as otherwise I just habitually pick up a size 16 and then wonder why its looking so baggy on me!

I have a lovely pair of work trousers from Banana Republic which are a size 10-12, I tried them on the other day and was amazed that they actually fit me! Mind you I still can't wear them as need to take them up (a tad annoyed that Cambridge doesn't make you grow a few inches taller as well as helping you lose weight, lol)

If only! That would sort my bmi out!!!!

Back