Clothing size

Brightonrosie

I want to be fitter again
It has always annoyed me in the Slimming World magazine, when i see someone with the same statitistics as myself but then I read they are pleased to be in a size 8 !!!
I don't think I will ever be a size 8. If anyone asked me recently what size clothes I am in now,I would have normally said a size 14. HOWEVER . . . today I got dressed for the frost and cold and looked at the labels in my clothing:thin T shirt size 14, blouse size 16, trousers size 16, jumper size 12. knickers size 14 and my outer coat size 10. (oh yes and shoe size 3 lol)
I guess the message i am trying to make is, ignore the size labels and aim for what fits and looks the best. Oh yes and the jumper and blouse came from the same shop !!!

I have clothes, which I currently wear, from sizes 18 to 28.

Now, admittedly the size 28 jumper could double as a small tent, but it is still wearable, especially now when I have so many layers on that my arms won't move!

Yep, never know what to say if someone asks what size I am now. There are 10's,12's,14's,16's in my wardrobe, all that I would wear now!

Have always bought what fits best and not bothered about what the label says. Sizes are so different where ever you shop I don't worry.

I always look at the stats in the mags too, they may be the same as me but in a much smaller size :sigh:. I'm just jealous lol! x

:whacky068:

My poor fella was so confused when shopping with me the other week (he struggles with shopping at the best of times, bless him) as I proudly bought a size 8 dress alongside a size 14 coat, from the same shop! Completely flummoxed bless him!!

Have always bought what fits best and not bothered about what the label says. Sizes are so different where ever you shop I don't worry.

I completley agree. Going off the labels will drive you nuts. I too currently wear clothes from 18 - 28 and they all fit. It's really disheartening though when you finally get into a smaller size and then the next time you shop you need to buy a bigger size even though you've lost weight... grrrrrr!

This is something iv struggled with in the past!! I was beating myself up everyday coz im not a size 10!! Im a 14-16 at the mo but guess what everyone i pass in the street doesnt stop me to check the size on the tags ha So now i get what feels right instead of squeezing myself into smaller sizes and then feeling embarressed all day about my massive muffin top :eek:

Isn't this why scissors were invented?

Sorry, it's really because this label is REALLY itchy. So I need to cut it out not because it says size 22 but because it is irritating. It's very rarely the size 14 ones that itch me :D

I'm probably one of those people that annoy you. I'm 14 st 9 lbs (as of last week) and am just going into a size 14. I can't wear any of my 18s because they literally fall off me. I'm 5 foot 7, and quite broad and have decent sized boobies (well, that's how OH describes them, I'm a 38F). I'm very "dense" though. As a kid, I was called "big boned" or "stocky" - I was VERY athletic at the time. When I was at my biggest (18 st 10 lbs) I was just going into a size 22...

I'm probably one of those people that annoy you. I'm 14 st 9 lbs (as of last week) and am just going into a size 14. I can't wear any of my 18s because they literally fall off me. I'm 5 foot 7, and quite broad and have decent sized boobies (well, that's how OH describes them, I'm a 38F). I'm very "dense" though. As a kid, I was called "big boned" or "stocky" - I was VERY athletic at the time. When I was at my biggest (18 st 10 lbs) I was just going into a size 22...

argggh where do you shop?? :eek:
im the same height as you, same size boobs, i weigh less than you (12st 13) and struggle to squeeze into size 16s!! it is so unfair i want to be a size 14!!!!!!! :(:(

Isn't this

wow you're exactly the same build as me I think, at 14st 7 I was just going into a size 14, at my biggest I was around the same weight and size too! I'm back at 16st 10 now and a size 18 but can still wear alot of my size 16s from last year, and I'm the same height and have the same bust size as you haha!

Asda, M&S, H&M (which shocked me), Tesco, Dorothy Perkins - all very much a size 14. 16 in tops in Top Shop (due to boobage), 14 in bottoms.

Going down to a 12 in some "stretchy" options in Dotty P's.

However, my fave jeans (which I've had for years and only just get in) are an M&S 20. No label, of course, one of those itchy ones, y'see.

But then again, if you measure round my ribcage, it comes out at 41.5 inches. So if you add the 4 that you should etc to get bra sizes, I should be a 46A. But a 38F fits perfectly (and has been assessed as doing so by ladies at both M&S and Bravissimo).

I'm just odd. But as my friends always say, we knew that anyway. I just wear what fits nicely.

I am completely baffled because there is a girl on pg 14 of the magazine who is the same height as me (5'9") but at her starting weight (11st11lb) she was a size 16. My starting weight was 13st 7.5 and at that weight I was a 16. I know it varies a bit from shop to shop but how can someone my height who weighed over 1.5st less than me be the same size????

Thank you for all your comments. i am glad i am not the only one baffled by this. Love the idea of itchy labels lol xx

It was my mum who started me on "itchy labels". She was 5 ft 2.5 ins (and don't forget the half) and never (even when terminally ill and full of steroids etc) got above a size 10*. Her thing was that it doesn't matter what size the label says, wear something that fits properly and it'll look better than something you've poured yourself into. But if it makes you FEEL better to not have a big number in the label, well, it itches doesn't it. So it must go!

*Yes, I take after my 6 ft 2 ins, ex Army/greengrocer dad - oh well!

As for the discrepancy in sizes between people of similar heights/weights - I'm really "solid" - always have been. My fat has never really "wobbled", more "lumped" IYSWIM. There's lots of it all crammed in to me - people (even at group, those I've confessed the actual numbers to!) are astounded when they know how much I weigh.

I think it's also because I carry myself well. And it's mum I have to thank for that, too. I did ballet from a very young age (although my knees don't thank her!) and also had deportment and etiquette lessons at school - yes, even in the 80s we walked around with books on our heads. For me now, slouching actually hurts. I can't sit with hunched shoulders for very long before having to straighten up and stretch out (and I've just realised I'm doing it now - was almost subconscious!)

There's two easy ways to better posture:

1. AIPITO (pronounced: ay-pit-toe) - A$$ in, pelvis in, t1ts out. Basically, pretend you're doing pilates all day and be conscious of your core.

2. Imagine a string going up through your *ahem* ladygarden area, through your body and out through the top of your head, tied to the ceiling/sky. And someone is pulling it upright.

It hurts at first, if you're not used to it (or so I've been told, I've been doing it since I was 3!). Best mate started by being "conscious" of it for a specific period each day (half an hour or so) and then building upwards.

sounds good emmy... i have awful posture. I was really pleased buying size 18 PJs and finding then being baggy... only to not fit into the size 22 coats at matalan a few days later SIGH!

Back