Cocoa warning!!!

I will succeed!!!
This may have been discussed before, but thought I'd put it out there anyway.

When following recipes this week I just took the syn per serving for granted as right. But because I had to modify a few recipes, I calculated the new syn value by using the Food Directory.

I was shocked to realise that the cocoa I used was 2syns more per tbsp than other brands (from memory Rowntree's is 2.5syns versus 0.5syns for another brand). If I am wrong in the numbers I apologise, but there was a definate difference.

So...my previous deserts have been over the syns I thought and probs meant I was over daily syn allowance more than once.

I'm going to be making a 'kitchen basics' list for all my sauces (ketchup etc) and baking goods to ensure I am using the lowest syn value possible and make sure I buy those from now on. So obvious and so basic but still not something I've done. I just use what used to with these types of food goods and syn them. Everyone say 'd'oh' to me lol!

Just thought I'd share - though I am sure this will have been discussed in the past :)

Last edited:
A great reminder Sticky! Always check, always... :)

A good post as ever Sticky, thank you. X

I think it goes to show that using the recipes still requires checks because they don't stipulate the brand to use and clearly, this matters!!! xxx

Back