Coke Zero on Offer

Mmmmmm diet coke now that would be a real treat. I didn't think that it would work with this diet but if people are drinking it and still losing weight that's good enough for me. Cheers!

I think citric acid is what stalled my weight loss on Atkins last year. I was doing well. But as it got to hot summer, as I was drinking no added sugar cordial and lots of diet coke and pepsi and stalled for 6 weeks. I never cut the pop out like I should have done. So, I am going to be paranoid, and stay away from it. Once I pop, I can't stop lol

your rite isis thats my fear so i think im going to stay well clear afterall the reason we are doing exante is to get rid of bad habbits with food/drink x

Sorry to be a party pooper!lol

I just know some people can have citric acid and stay in ketosis and I am someone who don't seem to be able to. Aspartme is also contraindicated on Atkins, as something about it can make your body feel it is having sugar and crave it. So, I was silly to drink fizzy pop at all anyway. I thought I could beat it. Those who can are lucky.....because I love diet pepsi lol

Am I right in thinking that once you're in Ketosis - that's what stops the hunger symptoms????? Or does being in ketosis actually help the weight loss?

The reason I ask this is when I was on LL and we had our wee checked every week, my 'stick' was always either a very faint pink colour or no colour at all, meaning that I was only marginally in ketosis - and yet I regularly lost the customary 3lbs per week. Other members had very very dark coloured strips indicating they were fully in ketosis and yet lost similar amounts.

So if, having a little luxury of Coke Zero brings me slightly out of ketosis, I can kind of deal with the hunger pangs (I'm sadistic in that this feeling makes me feel as if I'm doing well on the diet), I just don't want it to affect my loss. If that makes any sense at all!

Yeah makes sense hehe. Ketosis doesnt directly help u lose weight, it helps u stop feeling hungry which in turn keeps u sticking to the diet, which helps u lose weight. If you know you can stick to exante with or without the help of ketosis then its a risk u might want to take xx

Ketosis helps weight loss and curbs cravings. It is our body in 'fat burning' mode.

"It’s when your body has used up all of its glucose and switched modes to start burning fat."

I think you may be wrong here and we do need to be in ketosis for other reasons than stopping the hunger. Once in ketosis you start burning ketones which takes the energy from the fat stores rather than from glycose therefore avoiding the depletion of the body's protein store in the muscles.
So if you're in ketosis your body will burn the fat directly but if you're on vlcd but out of ketosis it would take it first from your musle mass, not your fat store, which is where we want it to go from.
It's all very complicated but I think I've got that right!

Lol :) Suppose these diets have guidelines and "do's and donts" for a reason. If people wantto take the risk and drink fizzy juice, etc etc, they may still lose weight but its still not really part of the diet guidelines. everyone is different. what i may get away with, someon else may not.

Hence my next point, mark and mike.....cheats! haha

Ha ha Isis, you posted whilst I was checking my facts!!

Lol!! I had to do research also to find what I remembered from being on Atkins lol

Lol :) Suppose these diets have guidelines and "do's and donts" for a reason. If people wantto take the risk and drink fizzy juice, etc etc, they may still lose weight but its still not really part of the diet guidelines. everyone is different. what i may get away with, someon else may not.

Hence my next point, mark and mike.....cheats! haha

You are right. People take their chances. This means too much to me this time to risk it. But if it works for others, then more power to them...

But yes, Mark is a cheat lol

But a minor modification off the rules will ensure this is not cheating lol

But we love him anyway!

I personally cant get drink plain water so iv been drinking strawverry and kiwi water again not in the guidelines but ichoose to take that risk, as i know without it i would probably struggle majorly.

All in moderation my dear Pinkies....a glass with my evening meal seems OK for me.:)

I'm still sticking to a VCLD as the calories etc are nil or trace. Drinking bottles of the stuff a day is asking for problems.....:p

You have to make the diet work for you. It is better that than falling off the bandwagon. I have grown to love water, so I am lucky. It tastes sweet to me now :)

I am like that as well...isis and the other non fizzy drinkers lol i don't want to take the risk of having fizzy flavoured water/drinks just in case it affects my weight loss...so hence the reason i am stcking to plain old water...after a bit i have gotton used to it...it is not soo bad...it is only bad the times when i end up having to have quite a bit towrds the end of the night lol but the times i space the water out properly i feel kk with that...:)
mwah

Yay....we shhall have to be called the Purely H2o Gang lol

Though I do drink herbal tea with a tablet sweetner. But that is all on the allowed list.

As with so any things on this diet it's all relative and down to the individual I think. :)

Diet pop doesn't have enough calories to affect your weightloss but if it contains citric acid (coke zero doesn't, neither does Dr Pepper zero) in some people it can knock them out of ketosis. Depends how well each of you will cope with that!

Personally I drink diet coke when I am out for the evening, no ill effects so far. This is because I found that soda water gives me a hangover if I have 2-3 glasses in the pub lol - I reckon that could only happen to me..........:eek:

My opinion is that it doesn't hurt to try something you are unsure of. If it works for you then fine, if not just take it back out of the equation. The only thing I would add to that is that you need to beware of pushing the boundaries. One glass of diet coke a day probably won't make any difference to you, 3 2-litre bottles might........;)

Once again, you talk total sense yambabe :)

Back