Common mistakes...

i also did the yoghurt mistake - but i still lost 4lb that week. ;)
when i first started sw - i thought u had to check the syn value for everythin nd not go over 10 syns a day - for 3 days a practically starved myself! ha, didnt realise that i could have free h.e - i was counting them as syns! ;) pahhaahaaa.
with mince meat i cook it on its own, drain whatever fat comes out, recook and re drain untill nothingcomes out. lol. is this still a syn then? ive always cooked my mince this way - even before i started on sw. :)
xxx

I think the yoghurt low fat or no fat thing is a common mistake......and the fact that these yoghurt manufacturers change their recipes every 5 mins......you almost need to check weekly whether the fat free yoghurts you bought last time you went to the shop are still free!!! Or.....just eat plain fat free yoghurt everytime!!!

On the subject of mincers.....this sounds like an amazing idea but how much mince do you you actually get from the meat you put in?? This is going to sound crazy but does it weigh the same when it comes out of the other end??? So if you put 500g steak through....do you get 500g ex lean mince??

blonde_bimbo said:
On the subject of mincers.....this sounds like an amazing idea but how much mince do you you actually get from the meat you put in?? This is going to sound crazy but does it weigh the same when it comes out of the other end??? So if you put 500g steak through....do you get 500g ex lean mince??

No there is a magic little fairy that steals around a 5th so if you put 500g in you only get 400g back! Sucks! ;)

Keldelacoe said:
No there is a magic little fairy that steals around a 5th so if you put 500g in you only get 400g back! Sucks! ;)

... Yeah it just minces ;) x

Assuming turkey mince will be free because its poultry and not as bad as red meat (wtf?)x

x

Silly question but why is turkey mince not free?im due to start skimming world tomorrow and can tell already il make all sorts of mistakes! As with meat,does anything go so long as fat is trimmed off?eg is a pork chop ok so long as its without fat?

Autumn500 said:
Silly question but why is turkey mince not free?im due to start skimming world tomorrow and can tell already il make all sorts of mistakes! As with meat,does anything go so long as fat is trimmed off?eg is a pork chop ok so long as its without fat?

Either has to be lean or extra lean with turkey mince it will say in your book you will be fine :) im only not sure because I don't buy it but with mince it can be skin or other bits chucked in if not lean! As in peices of meat yes anything goes as long as the fat is cut off :)

Where did you get it hun ??

Dunelm Mills. It was either 12 or 13 quid. The best thing about it is that the tiniest amounts of fat won't mince (you have to get them out though when you wash up, but it's better in the mincer than in your tum).

Hi all!
I had loads of 'Low Fat' Yoghurts instead of 'Fat Free' last week over my fruit and I still lost 4lbs!
Guess it's all trial & error as each week is never the same so you'll never lose the same amount each week (unless maybe u follow the exact same menu as the week before?)
X

most of it is not made from the breast meat and so it is higher in fat -some are free but only a couple of breast meat ones at sainsbury :)

(unless maybe u follow the exact same menu as the week before?)
X

Doesn't work like that. I can follow the same menu on different weeks, lose one week, STS another, gain another. Doesn't matter if you repeat you aren't necessarily going to lose the same

Im new so wasn't sure if it would or not but I tend to mix my menus up anyway or I'd get bored ha!

I live in Cyprus and the concept of low fat is lost here! But the butchers are very nice and will mince anything you want. Is there a particular cut or part of the animal I should be asking for to get extra lean mince and lamb? Thanks

Another common mistake is having 2 slices of normal 800g wholemeal bread rather than the little 400g slices as a HE B. Also thinking that fresh pasta is free and it's not, only the normal dried stuff.
I have in the past had lean mince (as ex lean wasnt available) and drained it as much as possible after browning it in the pan. Not 100% proof but it does take out most of the fat.

The trick is if your not sure check it, i'd always assumed richmond sausages would be about 2-3 syns how wrong was i when i eventually checked 5.5 each!!! Took me by utter suprise x

You can't get extra lean lamb, pork and something else (can't remfmber) in this country at the moment , it's not stocked in any supermarkets (it's on sw site) sw advise mincing your own or asking the the butcher :/

Get on friendly terms with your local butcher. They know a lot about meat. Tell them what you are after, they are usually quite keen. I got my local butcher to make some exceedingly good cumberland sausages (a favourite of mine). He got the leanest pork leg meat, i asked him to reduce the rusk to the bare minimum. The finest sausage and negligible syns.

Same for some lamb mince i was wanting a few weeks ago, another butcher went into the back and minced one of his lean legs that had all visible fat removed.

It's all about the cuts used...

gazter said:
Get on friendly terms with your local butcher. They know a lot about meat. Tell them what you are after, they are usually quite keen. I got my local butcher to make some exceedingly good cumberland sausages (a favourite of mine). He got the leanest pork leg meat, i asked him to reduce the rusk to the bare minimum. The finest sausage and negligible syns.

Same for some lamb mince i was wanting a few weeks ago, another butcher went into the back and minced one of his lean legs that had all visible fat removed.

It's all about the cuts used...

Yes I said speak to the butcher so why Is that directed at me? Confused ?!

Back