Common SW misconceptions put right.

This is a really great thread. Thank you for explaining it to me in simple common sense language.

Thank you for posting this - I am new to Slimming World, having joined after hearing lots of different people sing it's praises. I had heard a lot of varying ideas on the rules etc, so it is great to have some basics laid out simply!

This thread is fantastic, thoroughly enjoyed reading through everyone's comments and opinions :)

What a useful thread! This should be a must read for all newbies to SW I reckon. Thanks.

Great thread but I'm beginning to get confused about people talking about counting calories ..... Also, my SW leader has never mentioned portion control ... I am not a huge eater so have not abused the free food idea but I can see how this could be misunderstood. This way of eating definately takes time to understand. I am into my fourth week and am only now starting to understand it. :)

The basis of any weight loss plan is calories in are less than calories burnt.
SW does this by making you have 1/3 of your plate filled with food that has a low calorie density.
This does not mean that you can have 12 Sunday lunches every day because you would be having too many calories.
This is where portion control comes in.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

MrsWilsoncroft said:
Another one is......People using any wholemeal pitta breads as a healthy extra B choice when Slimming World clearly states it's only Co-op or Asda wholemeal pitta bread for 1 heb choice x

In the starter book it says 57g of any wholemeal bread hex B. Does that not include wholemeal pitta breads any brand?

No afraid not - bread is different from pitta bread. As mentioned at the moment only the asda and co-op wholemeal pitta breads can be counted

Bythe way, the amount of wholebread you can have for your HEb has increased by a whole 3g to 60g! :)

No afraid not - bread is different from pitta bread. As mentioned at the moment only the asda and co-op wholemeal pitta breads can be counted

Bythe way, the amount of wholebread you can have for your HEb has increased by a whole 3g to 60g! :)

the reason being only Co-op & Asda pitta's don't have oil in them

You say that 1lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle. Yes of course it does in the same way that one pound of feathers weighs the same as one pound of lead.
I think though that if you take it to an extreem, someone who exercises e.g. a boxer will weigh much more than an average person owing to the muscle.

True but if they stop exercising the muscle will eventually go back to fat & while they will still weigh the same they will look fatter

Mine would be making a dessert that is sw friendly that contains no or few syns, thinking that this is great and you can eat the lot lol!!
For example, the half a syn roulade, if you add the calories together of the 4 eggs, tub of quark, fruit and sweetner it comes to about 800 calories for the whole thing!! slimming world friendly or not, eating half or all of that will do you no favours!! So portion control is still key.

Just checked on MFP & it comes to 550 cals. Wow very surprised cause if you had 1/4 which isn't hard (its very light) your still officially having 6 syns

True but if they stop exercising the muscle will eventually go back to fat

This is not possible! Muscle and fat are two completely different things. Muscles and fats are made up of very different types of cells that have completely different functions. That's like saying a banana will turn into an umbrella. Under exercised muscles will shrink certainly, but they cannot turn into fat!!!!!

lots of info, thanks all

4 weeks until I read this, Now I think I fully understand!!!
Brilliant thankyou to you all!!!

It's been said before but it's worth a repeat.
FREE or LOW SYN does not mean UNLIMITED.
That "half a syn roulade" is around 400 calories.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

It's been said before but it's worth a repeat.
FREE or LOW SYN does not mean UNLIMITED.
That "half a syn roulade" is around 400 calories.
Well said ColJack. There seems to be a half syn chickpea cake doing the rounds at the moment which has 3 eggs and 1 tin chickpeas in it so must be in excess of 500 cals. And I know someone that ate the whole cake in 1 sitting!!!

When fruit is blended, you are altering it's molecular structure & the way in which the sugar is present. Drinking blended fruit, your stomach just absorbs all the glucose = calories. It doesn't have to work, it's like drinking a glass of water & sugar with added fibre & vitamin supplements. When eaten as whole pieces (unblended/mashed) your body has to work to break down & digest the fruit & turn in to glucose which uses calories, but also does not have time to absorb all of the food before it moves through your digestive tract so you take in less calories.

Hope that helps some people battling with the synned blended fruit dilemma. X

Well said ColJack. There seems to be a half syn chickpea cake doing the rounds at the moment which has 3 eggs and 1 tin chickpeas in it so must be in excess of 500 cals. And I know someone that ate the whole cake in 1 sitting!!!

if it has a can of chickpeas in it then it's not half a syn. SW recommend synning the chickpeas at the red day rate for this very reason :)

Back