Common SW misconceptions put right.

Thank you for this, It's not always easy to talk to the group leader and by the time you do you have so many questions you can't remember them :confused: so this has been a fantastically helpful read cheers.

Thanks for this thread! Have been doing SW for 8 months and stumbled across this site - struggling to shift last few pounds before target so this thread definitely helped me go back to the beginning and realise what little habits have been creeping in! :)

The slimming world website says that the 1/3rd superfree rule is encouraged but not mandatory. Even so I use 1/3rd anyhow. It also says that the 1/3rd rule is not essential with healthy extra meals.

Great thread! Keeping me focused and on track so thank you! :)

i think portion sizes are definatley an issue.....like when people eat a packet of pasta n sauce for a snack....thats a huge portion and thats without adding 1/3 superfree lol

I found that doing some of the recipes from the magazine alerted me to portion sizes.Funny thing is, altho they are smaller than I normally had/have, they still keep me full!

Excellent thread, have read all 24 pages & i'm now even more excited to join SW on Thursday - will i receive a 'welcome' pack type thing lol

Excellent thread, have read all 24 pages & i'm now even more excited to join SW on Thursday - will i receive a 'welcome' pack type thing lol

When you join you will get your welcome pack with everything you need to start your SW journey and an introductory talk for newbies.

Great thread, some really important points everyone could do with keeping in mind, even established Slimming Worlders :D

Just thought i'd put in one place a lot of the same points and questions that have been made recently. Feel free to add more!

STS for a few weeks does not mean the plan isn't working. Our weight fluctuates naturally anyway, so sometimes it can take a couple of weeks for the scales to show a loss. It takes 3500 calories EXTRA a week to gain 1lb of fat, so if you've been good and still sts or gained, stick with the plan as it will show sooner or later.

Can anyone tell me why this happens? I'm going through this at the moment and doing SW 100%... I'm getting do down about it, looks like I'm going to have my 2nd week of sts in a row this week. Does it happen to everyone?

Can anyone tell me why this happens? I'm going through this at the moment and doing SW 100%... I'm getting do down about it, looks like I'm going to have my 2nd week of sts in a row this week. Does it happen to everyone?

Hey there are probably lots of reasons for sts. The main one is that the body is holding on to a little more water than usual. It could be because of toftm, or due to an increase in exercise. This is not due to an increase of muscle mass - though that could have an impact long term. It is due to water being required by the body for making repairs. So having a slight illness or injury can impact on water weight. Fat weight will be dropping if you are sticking to plan.

Another reason could be if you are eating too little. In SW you should eat until satisfied, while maintaining portion control. If you go overboard with portion control and reduce too much (under about 1200 kcals) you could be encouraging your body to hold onto as much as it can by reducing energy requirements. This will mean that fat does not go down as quickly so it is important to get enough to eat. (I know doesn't sound logical, but lots of research to back this up).

Hey there are probably lots of reasons for sts. The main one is that the body is holding on to a little more water than usual. It could be because of toftm, or due to an increase in exercise. This is not due to an increase of muscle mass - though that could have an impact long term. It is due to water being required by the body for making repairs. So having a slight illness or injury can impact on water weight. Fat weight will be dropping if you are sticking to plan.

Another reason could be if you are eating too little. In SW you should eat until satisfied, while maintaining portion control. If you go overboard with portion control and reduce too much (under about 1200 kcals) you could be encouraging your body to hold onto as much as it can by reducing energy requirements. This will mean that fat does not go down as quickly so it is important to get enough to eat. (I know doesn't sound logical, but lots of research to back this up).

thanks.... i really hope it has not stopped working. My exercise intake is the same as it has been since jan only cardio and zumba\bokwa.

how long do you suggest waiting until saying something isnt right? The odd week may be fair enough but 2 weeks in a row to me seems to indicate a problem

my diet sheet is full in free and sf sections so it cant be that im not eating enough.... i just hope its fluid

also is there a science behind stressing out about it? people are telling me its because im obsessed with losing weight but while its not working obsessing and worrying are bound to happen x

Last edited:
Extreme stress will make your body go into survival mode - I doubt that normal diet obsessing would do it though. 2 weeks is not really long enough to decide there is a problem. If you are worried would it be worth doing success express for a week to get you started downwards again?

Extreme stress will make your body go into survival mode - I doubt that normal diet obsessing would do it though. 2 weeks is not really long enough to decide there is a problem. If you are worried would it be worth doing success express for a week to get you started downwards again?

thanks

this isnt the first time, last time this happened i went 4 months without losing so i joined group rather than doing it from home, the only thing i could say last time was i may had gone slightly over on my milk but im not even doing that now because everything not free is measured.

Im going to try fast forward for 2 days before weigh in and maybe sucess express next week but as a veggie im pretty much having mostly super frees

youve made me feel much better thank you x

Hey Mandy

No need to be confused or worried. I def am no angel and am where I am cos I have a sweet / junk food tooth. LOL. I have had an over indulgent, seditary lifestyle for too many years.

But I can't eat that junk now as I had my gallbladder removed about 6 months ago and am a risk of continued gallstones (which can occur even after the gallbladder is removed). Since the operation, whenever I have any type of fatty food, chocolate etc etc my digestive systems floods with bile and I have a pretty bad, almost immediate, reaction to it. So it's not that I don't want something naughty (for want of a better word) - in an ideal world I would. But sadly I really can't have that stuff any more. As a result of years of abusing my body, I have become obese and lost a gallbladder. Admittedly I am painfully embarrased that at 30 I had to have my gallbladder out :( (much more embarrased than I am about gaining so much weight) - and I actually still suffer some residual pain from the surgery. I really didn't want go into all that detail about why I wasn't having the syns - as you said, nobody here knows me and it was nice not to have that baggage.

So, to be completely honest, I really have zero desire to have any chocolate, crisps, sweets, cakes, biscuits because I don't need the trips to the loo! I amn't depriving myself of anything, just trying to accept the choices I do have and enjoy the food that I can eat. I haven't tried to not use my syns, it's just that as a result of the way I am supposed to eat (because of the lack of gallbladder) I haven't needed to use any syns. I decided a few weeks ago that enough was enough and I needed to cop on - stop eating the crap and loose some weight. A friend is doing SW so I thought I would kill two birds with one stone.

I think I will have to just add some syns to my meals or something in order to use up some syns.

I didn't think you could still have gallstones after they look your gallbladder out! That creeps me out D:
I wouldn't feel embarassed. I had mine taken out at 22. I had lots and lots of tiny ones and I was in agony. Everytime I ate anything fatty I was in pain for hours! I was on tramadol for 6 months and that made me feel so sick. I was so happy that I lost like 1.5 stone...but I put 2.5 back on when I was allowed food again! I'm trying to cut right back down again now though. That does scare me though, the thought they could come back :(

I'm sorry that you still have trouble with it, have you spoken to doctors about it? is there anything they can do?

I have just read through this whole thread - kept my mind off eating for a while ;-) and there is loads of great info. I am even more determined than ever to stick to plan and hopefully be feeling much better soon! thanks everyone who contributed!

Ok..... Help! A question re the 1/2 syn Roulade....... I made this and I'm not going to lie, I pretty much scoffed the whole thing singlehanded over the space of two days....! It felt a bit naughty but I justified it as it to myself as its only half a syn.... and I have been pretty much 100% on my diet this week. Bloody heck...... Have a screwed everything up.....? Help and advice, how can I fix this disaster! Xxxxx

Back