Common SW misconceptions put right.

If its half a syn its half a syn..

What goes into the roulade Saskia.

Ohhh another Saskia :D x

Ok..... Help! A question re the 1/2 syn Roulade....... I made this and I'm not going to lie, I pretty much scoffed the whole thing singlehanded over the space of two days....! It felt a bit naughty but I justified it as it to myself as its only half a syn.... and I have been pretty much 100% on my diet this week. Bloody heck...... Have a screwed everything up.....? Help and advice, how can I fix this disaster! Xxxxx

Is it 1/2 for the whole thing or per portion?

from fat to skinny jeans only 48lb to go

It's amazing... Well I think so. I made it with raspberries and blackberries and I could stop eating it. Very easy to make xxx

Raspberry Roulade!
Cook time
10 mins
Total time
20 mins
0.50 Syns on Extra Easy, Original & Green Plans FOR THE ENTIRE ROULADE/CAKE
Author: karen
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: British
Serves: 4
Ingredients
4 medium eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
a tub of quark
3 tbsp of sweetener (level not heaped)
Raspberries (or any other Syn free fruit)
Instructions
1. Separate the 4 eggs into two bowls, yolks and whites
2. Add ½ tub of quark, sweetener, vanilla essence & baking powder to the yolks
3. Wisk into a creamy consistency and put to one side
4. Take the egg whites and wisk until stiff
5. Add half of the egg whites to the egg yolk mixture and stir in gently
6. Then fold the other half of the eggs whites into the mixture
7. Take an oven tray, line line with grease proof paper and spray with fry light
8. Ensure you use plenty of fry light to avoid the cake sticking to the paper
9. Pour the mixture on the tray/paper
10. Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown (it doesn’t take very long to bake
11. Whilst warm peel the paper from the cake (gently) and then lay cake out to cool
12. I used a big knife underneath the paper to gently remove the cake from paper
13. While cooling take the remainder of the quark and add sweetener to taste
14. Spread the quark onto the cake (now cool) and add fruit you are using
15. I used raspberries and added them evenly across the cake and squished them
16. Then gently roll the cake up into a roll (like a swiss roll)
17. Cut into 4-6 pieces – or eat the whole cake yourself for ½ a Syn

This cake is an amazing treat for just 1/2 a Syn and looks totally professional. I made it last weekend and took a slice into work on Monday. I had filled it with chopped strawberries and sweetened Quark with some vanilla essence added and it was delicious. Tasted very naughty but, obviously wasn't. Everyone at work was gob-smacked that I could eat something like that on a 'diet' and I had several requests for the recipe. Might fill it with quark mixed with Options powder next time, just for a bit of variety, before adding fresh fruit. In fact, I made some Syn Free lemon curd this afternoon so I might mix that into the Quark and top with raspberries or blueberries. It really is yummy! :D

Hey Mandy

No need to be confused or worried. I def am no angel and am where I am cos I have a sweet / junk food tooth. LOL. I have had an over indulgent, seditary lifestyle for too many years.

But I can't eat that junk now as I had my gallbladder removed about 6 months ago and am a risk of continued gallstones (which can occur even after the gallbladder is removed). Since the operation, whenever I have any type of fatty food, chocolate etc etc my digestive systems floods with bile and I have a pretty bad, almost immediate, reaction to it. So it's not that I don't want something naughty (for want of a better word) - in an ideal world I would. But sadly I really can't have that stuff any more. As a result of years of abusing my body, I have become obese and lost a gallbladder. Admittedly I am painfully embarrased that at 30 I had to have my gallbladder out :( (much more embarrased than I am about gaining so much weight) - and I actually still suffer some residual pain from the surgery. I really didn't want go into all that detail about why I wasn't having the syns - as you said, nobody here knows me and it was nice not to have that baggage.

So, to be completely honest, I really have zero desire to have any chocolate, crisps, sweets, cakes, biscuits because I don't need the trips to the loo! I amn't depriving myself of anything, just trying to accept the choices I do have and enjoy the food that I can eat. I haven't tried to not use my syns, it's just that as a result of the way I am supposed to eat (because of the lack of gallbladder) I haven't needed to use any syns. I decided a few weeks ago that enough was enough and I needed to cop on - stop eating the crap and loose some weight. A friend is doing SW so I thought I would kill two birds with one stone.

I think I will have to just add some syns to my meals or something in order to use up some syns.

Not sure whether you'll still be doing SW, Gemmalina, as this is such an old post but just thought I'd reply to this to make you feel a bit better! I am highly embarrassed to say I had my gallbladder removed when I was 21. Disgusting and all through scoffing too much fatty food. :( Now I have started SW, even though up till now I've only lost 5 and a half pounds, I feel energised and enthusiastic and, I have to say, one of the main reasons why is because of the support and ideas this incredible site offers so thanks to everyone. x

The scale thing is a great idea, I've just tried to cut snacks to one a day either between lunch and my evening meal or evening meal and bedtime. Eating late at night is definitely something that you shouldn't do on any diet as your metabolism has slowed right down and takes 3 times as long to burn off, so eating a free pack of supernoodles at 11/12 at night isn't doing anybody any favours lol! :)

Hi beth1jade. Have recently joined SW online and what they say is it doesn't matter in the slightest what time you eat any kind of food, as long as it's within your Syn allowance. Their mantra is - if you're hungry, eat and it doesn't matter if it's late at night. Totally confused with so much contradictory advice. I always thought too that if food is classed as Free you can eat as much of it as you like. x :confused:

Yep free just means you don't need to measure it. You can eat as much as you need to be satisfied, BUT you have to the superfree too in the correct proportions. The idea is the superfree will take the main part of your hunger away, the free will keep you feeling full for longer but it tends to be higher in calories and fats or carbs (depending on the plan) so too much will definitely impact on your weightloss.

Hi beth1jade. Have recently joined SW online and what they say is it doesn't matter in the slightest what time you eat any kind of food, as long as it's within your Syn allowance. Their mantra is - if you're hungry, eat and it doesn't matter if it's late at night. Totally confused with so much contradictory advice. I always thought too that if food is classed as Free you can eat as much of it as you like. x :confused:

Ive seen this on the SW site too, and i lost 3st eating at least 50% of my daily food after 7pm! I did fall off the wagon (pleased to say im firmly back on!!) but still tend to this. I have such a busy job that lunch tends to be the last thing on my mind so just tend to snack throughout the day instead - meaning i have lots of syns and healthy extras saved for the evening.
Granted, i have read a lot that says it is not the best for digestion etc but it WILL NOT stop you losing weight! Xx

Yeah, just had another look on the SW site (I'm an online member) and it definitely says it doesn't matter what time of day or night you eat - don't deprive yourself because it won't affect your weight loss. Obviously, this seems to contradict what many dietary experts have said in the past but SW must know what they're talking about with regards to their own plan! :) I know I won't be allowed to quote them word for word but it also says about members putting Free Food to the test and piling their plates up with FF, still resulting in a fantastic weight loss but, as mentioned by lass321, they also go on to say they recommend eating to satisfy your appetite, so basically, don't overeat 'cos you're trying to re-educate yourself into eating sensibly. Maybe, to avoid confusion, they need to come up with another term for Free Food!! :D

Ive seen this on the SW site too, and i lost 3st eating at least 50% of my daily food after 7pm! I did fall off the wagon (pleased to say im firmly back on!!) but still tend to this. I have such a busy job that lunch tends to be the last thing on my mind so just tend to snack throughout the day instead - meaning i have lots of syns and healthy extras saved for the evening.
Granted, i have read a lot that says it is not the best for digestion etc but it WILL NOT stop you losing weight! Xx

I got this email from slimming World today...talk about timing!
Slimming World - because you're amazing
xx

Thanks again for this post, setting some things straight! I was not using all my syns (I was literally just having honey in my tea twice a day) about 3/4 syns.. but when I started to use at least 5, the weight came off quick again. You really need to be on plan and follow it correctly for it to work!! :)

This is such a brilliant thread, made me smile that 2 years after it was started people like me are still confused about exactly the same things! I don't have my full quota of syns, but after reading this I can understand why...sort of. I spread 1 extra light triangle of cheese over 4 crispbreads and was amazed to read someone (sorry forgot the name) wasn't eating all of the 5 you CAN have! My friend who does SW online, tells me off for not having treats...the reason is, I could NEVER have 1 square or even 2 of chocolate...if the bar is in front of me, I would HAVE to eat it! I am eating salads, making casseroles, hotpots, all filled with healthy veg, but found with oxo or a stockpot it wasn't tasty enough for me, so I make gravy, (2tbs Bisto Granules, I make 1 teacup full) I love my salads too, and DID have salad cream light , this week I've swapped this for very low fat dressing, French and Honey and Mustard, things I've never bought before, but am enjoying them. I've dieted it seems all my adult life, and going without has always eventually been my downfall. Black tea ? urgh! no dressings, no bread, no cheese, and no spread, in fact No to most things I like. I love a nice salad, but am not a rabbit! I'd rather use my syns to make my meals tasty, than eat chocolate or cakes (just 2 things I'm REALLY fond of!) I can honestly say the only thing I've missed in the 4 weeks I've been on SW is Red Leicester cheese on toast!
This has been SO helpful...won't even get into the discussion of fat v muscle, don't think I have ANY of the latter, and too much of the first!!:sigh:

Hi all, good thread to read and answers those common questions, my view is that SW is not a miracle diet but its a great foundation for making good healthy choices but you need good portion control and moderate exercise to really make good weight loss and more importantly to keep it off as this should be life style and not just a quick short term fix.

Big thanks to everyone who posts on this site, it certainly keeps me focused.

Brian

Just found this.....

Miki Knight posted to Slimming World
This is an email I have received from head office.... please people stop posting smash recipes and claiming they are free,as its wrong, things like that damage peoples journeys, and admin will remove them.

Message to me from slimming world.

Syns Enquiry <[email protected]>

Dear Michaela

Thank you for your email. You are correct using smash as a flour substitute would mean it had a Syn value. Using smash, eggs, cottage cheese to make scones would certainly have a Syn value. I hope this helps with your enquiry.

Kind regards
Beverly

Slimming World Head Office

This is such a brilliant thread, made me smile that 2 years after it was started people like me are still confused about exactly the same things! I don't have my full quota of syns, but after reading this I can understand why...sort of. I spread 1 extra light triangle of cheese over 4 crispbreads and was amazed to read someone (sorry forgot the name) wasn't eating all of the 5 you CAN have! My friend who does SW online, tells me off for not having treats...the reason is, I could NEVER have 1 square or even 2 of chocolate...if the bar is in front of me, I would HAVE to eat it! I am eating salads, making casseroles, hotpots, all filled with healthy veg, but found with oxo or a stockpot it wasn't tasty enough for me, so I make gravy, (2tbs Bisto Granules, I make 1 teacup full) I love my salads too, and DID have salad cream light , this week I've swapped this for very low fat dressing, French and Honey and Mustard, things I've never bought before, but am enjoying them. I've dieted it seems all my adult life, and going without has always eventually been my downfall. Black tea ? urgh! no dressings, no bread, no cheese, and no spread, in fact No to most things I like. I love a nice salad, but am not a rabbit! I'd rather use my syns to make my meals tasty, than eat chocolate or cakes (just 2 things I'm REALLY fond of!) I can honestly say the only thing I've missed in the 4 weeks I've been on SW is Red Leicester cheese on toast!
This has been SO helpful...won't even get into the discussion of fat v muscle, don't think I have ANY of the latter, and too much of the first!!:sigh:

You can still have Red Leicester as a Healthy Extra, Polly. 30g of it! :)

ohhh the temptation.......lol!! I've bought some new kitchen scales, will have to see how big a pile 30g of grated RL is....... x

Back