Common SW misconceptions put right.

I'm surprised that any group leader would say that, mine really tries to impress it on all of us, 1/3rd plate of veg, and like you say, it's included on all the plans. I still worry about having enough syns :sigh: xx

Hang on, my consultant told me that the 1/3 superfree thing was an option. There's a board up in group that says it's better if you do the 1/3 superfree but that you don't need to if you don't want to!

I don't really like veg all that much and will really struggle if I need 1/3 superfree :(

Please don't worry! All of these people do have a point about the super free foods, there are obviously many benefits to eating super free foods, but in no way are they the only reason everyone loses weight!

I lost almost 2 stone with Slimming World the last time around, and there was not a vegetable in sight! I hate vegetables and really cannot eat them, even hidden in my meals. I told my consultant this and he reassured me that I could still lose weight as long as I stuck to the food optimising, and I did!

Whoever says that free food 'doesn't mean you can eat as much as you want', yes it does! I fill up on huge plates of pasta, noodles, rice and potatoes and still see losses each week.

Happy slimming :)

Im terrible with veg, i stick to peas and sweetcorn/corn on cobs/tomato salads in the week and brocoli and carrots at the weekend (roasts!), and am trying to make homemade soups (veg/water/stock cubes) now to get more superfree in.
My consultant also told me that to fill the 1/3 plate wasnt an uber strict rule, but to do so would be more beneficial.

Im only on my first week, with weigh in tonight (so i cant tell you yet if the first week has been a success!) however, i find in the evenings, now the food i have eaten this week has pretty much been 'clean' food - no processed rubbish, chocolate, crisps, no overeating of kellogs krave, no stuffing my face on anything and everything, i feel SO much better in myself, in the evenings i no longer feel i have a led balloon in my stomach.

I also took photos on the start, and some this morning, and there is a noticeable difference in the love handles (lol)! So if i havent lost its not going to put me off, because i know for a fact i feel better, and the pictures are proof that im replacing rubbish in my body with better things.

So if i have to eventually get 1/3 on the plate superfree, i do think im off to a good start! And maybe if this is the case, consultants should start making it a point to tell new members to absolutely do 1/3 instead of making out its not a huge deal.

Hi. Thank you for this. I always wondered about syns as never stayed to class. Last week I started again but only had around 5 syns a day. This week going to use more and see how I go. Scared to incase I don't lose

just this week our consultant told us if you are on EE you had to have 1/3rd of your plate superfree for your main meals, and if you struggled with that you should go onto red or green, as the 1/3rd rule is the basis of the EE, meaning no weighing/measuring (other than Hex's + syns)

tho i must admit i havent been the best at sticking to that!

just this week our consultant told us if you are on EE you had to have 1/3rd of your plate superfree for your main meals, and if you struggled with that you should go onto red or green, as the 1/3rd rule is the basis of the EE, meaning no weighing/measuring (other than Hex's + syns)

tho i must admit i havent been the best at sticking to that!

dont think i could do red or green days so glad ee works for me - good luck

I've upped my syns a little, but mainly because I couldn't get the small Allisons WM loaves, I bought the batch ones instead. If I have 2 slices then I count 4 syns and the other goes as my HE.B, plus cheesy triangles. I still don't have any treats like choc....just have no willpower, I couldn't have just a little!! like I've said on other threads, the 2 main tips are making sure you have 1/3rd plate of superfree and keeping a diary. reading Annabelles post if I ate pasta, bread, rice etc, well loads of carbs I wouldn't have lost anything. I suppose all our bodies just react differently, but it's not only about losing weight, it's about getting and keeping healthy, and fruit and veg play a huge part of that. I've felt SO much better in myself since I started, but still have a helluva long way to go. xx

Ive read my book almost every day for the last two weeks, so its safe to say ive probably looked through everything at LEAST 20 times. So why have i only just noticed / has my brain only just registered that sweetcorn is NOT superfree -ermagherd!! Ok, its fine, we can work around this going forward!!

im sure baby sweetcorn is

Great advice.

Regarding muscle. It's not the weight it's the size. 1lb or muscle is smaller in size than 1lb of fat.
After a workout often it's normal to weigh more as your body gains fluids to help recover the muscles you have used. This usually goes by the next day.

What a fantastic thread!

These have given me a bit of a boost!

Thank you for this. It's been my first week and I've stayed the same!! Not too much to lose so hoping a week or so and it will all come together xx

OhCarolina, I know just what you mean about reading the book. I've read all mine, over and over...and I still have to keep referring to one part or another, I read it but it doesn't stay in. If I didn't write everything down every day, I'm sure I'd go off track. I've counted Mullers as 1.5 syns every time I've had one, and only just found out they're free. I've counted SF Jelly as free, and just found out they're 1.......I suppose it evens itself out in the end, all I can say is thank heavens I like veg, or I'd be up the creek without a paddle! :(

This is all so helpful, especially as I ama newbie. I found my first few days I was eating only Mullerlights and Mugshots, but that was simply because I wasnt prepared. Once i got the groceries in i felt better tucking into my soup and fruit.

Although, today, i had to have a mugshot at 4pm, because i was so hungry after my lunch just before 1!! Will take a few weeks to get into the swing of things!!

xx

This is a great thread - I'm a newbie and it was an interesting read. Particularly about the 1/3 thing - our consultant didn't really make a big deal about that so I'm not convinced I have followed the plan correctly so far!

Oh well, first weigh-in tonight will tell all I suppose! Can only improve next week!

Sorry if this has been answered before but I have seen a few posts where it says take off your free food allowance and then work out the syns. How do you do that?? I'm really confused. The post I saw was about sausages and taking off your free pork allowance..sorry if I'm being a bit slow I've only being doing it for 2 weeks and I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I believe you have to go on the SW site and use the calculator. You have to go to a class to be able to go online I think

I don't know if it makes a difference on the different plans, and I only do EE but you don't have a free food allowance as such ...it's free. You have what you want superfree and free...until your appetite is satisfied. The idea is you fill your plate with 1/3rd superfree, (like green veg etc) then fish, lean meat etc is all free as long as you be careful how you cook it, Frylight or similar is always recommended (loads of recipes on here for you to try) It's recommended that you have between 5-15 syns each day. I don't usually use mine on "treats" but most of the ladies do, I prefer to use mine on gravy, and salad cream and the like.....I never have 15 but if I haven't had many I'll have a Hi Fi bar, or something at night. On EE, you have 1 healthy Extra A, and one H.E.B...I use my A for milk and my B for wholemeal bread/Scan Bran..... ...perhaps a slice of toast spread with a cheese triangle etc.
Everything you need is in the books, lots of foods listed that tells you what the Syns are for each item, and also for each plan, depending on what one you want to do. I do EE, because it's juyst that, Extra Easy, and I don't count cals or weigh anything. 1 syn is approximately 20 cals, and you'll soon get to know what you want and how many syns are in it. You can also buy the Food Directory, that lists all the foods from the supermarkets, Asda, Tescos etc. I could be wrong, but I class the red plan as more protein,Meats etc and the Green, more carbs...pasta , rice etc...on the EE I have both, but I don't pile my plate up, I always sort of half fill it with veg first and then add whatever the main meat/fish bit is.
There is a thread called SW MISCONCEPTIONS (or words to that effect) and it tells you pretty much everything you need to know, and there's always someone to help you if you're unsure. I hope this has helped a little......I never know if I'm doing it perfectly right, but I'm losing the weight so it's working for me:). What I WOULD advise, is keeping a diary and make sure you write EVERYTHING down, and you'll soon get the hang of it. Good luck. xx
OH WHAT A NUMPTY I AM!! this IS the thread...read through it, because it's invaluable to newbies xx

Back