Confused and unhappy...

janeypie

Hi everyone,
I've just joined up to see if anyone can give me some hope!

I joined SW almost 3 weeks ago (3rd weigh in tomorrow) and I'm alread disillusioned.

In the first week I followed the extra easy plan and I lost 4.5lbs even though on one of the days I gave myself a bit of a free rein cos my brother came to visit me for the weekend. I was SO happy with the loss and ultra motivated.

For the 2nd week I thought I'd give being totally syn free a go... just out of curiosity really, it's not something I would want to do full time! So for a week and a half I was totally syn free and followed the extra easy plan and guess what, I lost just 1lb!

Now i know any loss is better than a gain but I was SO disappointed, I didn't even stay to the meeting afterwards cos I was so upset.

So this week I decided to try the proper red and green days to see if that made any difference and I really don't think it has. I fully expect to have only a very small loss or have stayed the same... possibly even have put on!!

I'm so disillusioned and unhappy with it all I'm seriously considering giving it one more week and then quitting.

I've got loads of weight to lose... 4-5 stone.. and I really hoped joining a proper diet plan and group would help keep me motivated but I've never given up on a healthy eatting plan as quickly as I feel like giving up on this.

Has anyone else experienced this or got any advice?
I don't want to give up but I also don't want to spend £4.50 each week for nothing!:cry:

Hey Hun first of all **BIG HUGS ** Don't give up honestly it will get better, sometimes it takes your body a little while to catch up. i have never done EE simply because I can't get my head around loosing weight and eating both red and green but thats just me being thick!! :)

Some people swear by EE and for some it doesn't work - I have had many a debate on here as to whether it should be tried. I find that green days work best for me as I love pasta and potatoes and it has always worked - although for a few weeks I couldn't shift anything and I truely believe that sometimes your body just needs a little time to sort itself out.

Give it another month and see how you get on, I would also suggest have at least 5 syns a day from now on I have found that if I have no syns I am A. Miserable!! and B. loose less. I have no idea why though!

If you want post a diary on here with your each day menu and get your friends to give advise and tell you if you are eating the right things. I find its great and fantastic reading and inspiration for the rest of us.

Anyway good luck hun whatever you decide to do. x

Hi to you!!

Firstly well done on joining up this is a fantastic forum and you will get lots of support and advice on here. Secondly dont stress about the plan, Trust it! When i first started i decided on one of the plans and stuck to it for a few weeks until i began chopping and changing them.
Im sure you will do really well at weigh in this week so dont be unhappy with yourself you will get there! Make sure you use your syns though, most of us believe that if we cut them out we will loose quicker but in fact you body will go into starvation and it will have the opposite effect!
Nearer the top of the main page is a thread called advice for newcomers or something along those lines and it explains all the myths of SW and is a really great read for when you are stuggling or just starting out, maybe have a read and if you are still unsure of anything just ask we dont bite!! Well not hard anyway!! lol!

hey hunny.

Firstly, heres your problem (or so i think).. i'm sure youv dieted in the past liek the rest of us, and where all programed to think anything tastey is bad for you.. BUT, you HAVE to use your syns, because as you'v seen.. as a result it doesnt work as well.. syns are a big part to play, as are Healthy extras. You have to use them. *hugs* i know how crap you feel. Iv been so good this week after becoming complacent and lazy these past weeks, and im terrified of getting on the scales tomorrow.. cause i doubt i'l see the 3lb loss i want, i can only hope for 1 at most.. BUT i have used all my syns, and i always have my healthy extras and my weight losses are slower now anyways..

i think clear your mind and use your syns to treat yourself. using your syns wisely and to treat yourself means your more likley to stick to plan, rather than feeling restricted against things like chocolate and sauces etc.. remember.. tehy wouldnt give you syns if it wasnt going to help!, and also, 4.5 lbs is amazing, and this could have also contributed to your smaller loss this week. This happens to everyone. remember, its not a quick fix.. and 1lb a week is great.

I think your doing fab, and i hope youv used your syns this week. *hugs* Sending you lots of positive vibes and hugs for tomorrows WI..

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Totally agree with Fern. When I did SW 7 years ago I always found the weeks I didn't use my syns I did not lose as much and when I used syns and ate loads of free food I would lose more.

Don't give up as it will work for you and as the other have said you are doing so well and sometimes your body just needs time to adjust.

Good luck xx:)

hi there,i just joined up here to and amazed by the support every gives each other,we r all in the same boat, i agree with everyone too.i always make sure i hav my syns,sometimes i hav to look for something to hav to make them up,people r amazd at how much food i eat and loose weight.i always hav green days stick it out hun youll see good luck

Thanks everyone, you've certainly made me feel that it's worth sticking with for a bit.

But what I don't understand is how I'm supposed to add in extra syns that I wouldn't usually have had pre-SW.

I don't eat much chocolate or have loads of sauces. My weakness is having a few drinkies which I'm now trying to cut down... I stopped drinking for the whole of July.

Whilst I've been on SW I've never been hungry and I always make sure I have my healthy extras... even though they're things I wouldn't normally have eaten but I realise are needed to be healthy - like cheese for calcium (which I love but usually deprive myself of so loving it!) and cereal bars for the fibre etc.

I guess it just feels strange to add syn-ful things into my diet for the sake of it... goes against everything that your common sense tells you.

as for what I've been eating, this is the generic version of my daily menu...

breakfast:
Banana, strawberries, rasberries, cherries

mid morning snack:
2 or 3 baby bels (depending on the type)

Lunch:
Meat (eg chicken)
tomatoes, cucumber, beetroot

Mid afternoon snack:
cereal bar

Dinner:
meat and veggies
a couple of muller lights

This is WAY more than I would usually eat so I'm always full and when I get peckish I make sure there is fruit available.

as for what I've been eating, this is the generic version of my daily menu...

breakfast:
Banana, strawberries, rasberries, cherries

mid morning snack:
2 or 3 baby bels (depending on the type)

Lunch:
Meat (eg chicken)
tomatoes, cucumber, beetroot

Mid afternoon snack:
cereal bar

Dinner:
meat and veggies
a couple of muller lights

Are you drinking enough and are they low cal drinks or is it tea and coffee with milk which isn't accounted for. As for using your syns, try having cereal with your fruit in the morning and milk and syning it. what about gravey on your dinner, that should be synd if its bisto or similar. You could change yogurts and have ones with a small syn value instead of the free ones. There are lots of ways to use your syns up but you must make sure you use them hyn. Good luck and hope you have a good week. xx

I think you need to learn to treat urself without the guilt, i agree about just having sysn for the sake of it, but it wont work without them and im sure if you tried super hard, you could certainly find ways to add some syns.. mints.. yoghurts .. gravies.. even using swartz died packets to add soemf lavour to your food.. there all 6 syns per pack and lower when shared out to portions..

xxxxx

my food diary today

Breakfast
2 oranges, 2 alpen lights HEB, and 2 shape yoghurts

dinner was bacon with spring onion, tomatoes, baked beans and scrammy egg.

and tea is spag bowl made with extra lean mince, using a shwartz packet (6 syns) shared between 3 of us... (2 syns) and topped with cheese HEA .. and im going to treat myself to a small packet of choc buttons for 4 syns..

so only 6 sysn today, but better than using none! xxx

i like to hav the pks chicken bites 2.5 syns to pick at and hav hot choc highlights 2.5 syns evry nite and that takes 5 straight away, i still enjoy my wine althou dont hav it as much pepsi max has replaced it very well,hope everyone can help you xx

Welcome aboard Hun! Well EE certainly suits you if you didn't do it 100% and you lost 4.5lbs which was wonderful. The drawback with it is, it seems too good to be true! So because you've been conditioned to think you have to starve yourself to lose weight, you worry you're eating too much and you cut back. AND your weightloss slows down! We,ve all done it! I use most of my syns on wine, but because I'm so satisfied with the free foods and healthy extras, I use my syns on salad dressings and sauces.
I would stick to EE for a while, (I'm biased) but there's less chance of making a mistake!) I think when you go for weigh in you will have lost, but at this stage you have to suspend belief and go with the plan, and the more you eat on the plan, the more you will lose! I know it doesn't sound possible, but if you do it believe me it works!:)

I have loads of syns over a weekend - I'll have a bottle of wine on a Saturday night, for example. I have fewer syns in the week and use more on a weekend.

Today's menu:

Breakfast - 2 x mullerlight yogurts (free food)

Lunch - salmon fillet salad with boiled potatoes, boiled egg, tomato, beetroot, cucumber, mushrooms (all free) 2 tbl spoons of extra low fat mayo (1.5 syns)

Dinner - Home roasted chicken with boiled potatoes, green beans, broccoli (all free) and a bit of gravy (2 syns ish)

Supper - (I'll be having...) 3 x weetabix (1 x healthy extra B and 3.5 syns) with semi skimmed milk (healthy extra A)

Total syns = 6 syns for the day.

Welcome aboard Hun! Well EE certainly suits you if you didn't do it 100% and you lost 4.5lbs which was wonderful. The drawback with it is, it seems too good to be true! So because you've been conditioned to think you have to starve yourself to lose weight, you worry you're eating too much and you cut back. AND your weightloss slows down! We,ve all done it! I use most of my syns on wine, but because I'm so satisfied with the free foods and healthy extras, I use my syns on salad dressings and sauces.
I would stick to EE for a while, (I'm biased) but there's less chance of making a mistake!) I think when you go for weigh in you will have lost, but at this stage you have to suspend belief and go with the plan, and the more you eat on the plan, the more you will lose! I know it doesn't sound possible, but if you do it believe me it works!:)

I couldn;t agree with this more!!!!

I'm on EE too....and use most of my weekly syns on wine lmao

yup I'm one of those that save all my sins for the weekend too.

as for what I drink... I don't drink hot drinks so I'm not drinking any extra milk at all. I've also bought myself a litre and a half jug to fill with water in work and I have to drink it before I go home... I'm constantly on the loo! :)

perhaps I'll try having less guilt and having more "nice" food... I'm celebrating my new found knowledge with a vodka and diet lemonade... wahoo! :D

Just to let you know, I had my weigh in last night and I lost 1.5lbs... taking me to my half stone award (in 3 weeks!)

thanks for all your support!

Well there you go then!! What's that - half a stone in 3 weeks hun?? Can't ask for more than that!

I can't add much more that the others haven't already said, your syns don't have to be "naughty" - you can use them for extra bread, gravy, mayo, whatever you want, they don't have to be chocolate, biscuits, crisps, alcohol.

If you stick the plan, no matter what days you do, you will not gain. You may STS some weeks but this is either hormonal or your body having a rest, we can't lose every single week but it is highly unlikely that you will have a gain.

Don't worry - I hope you feel a little better after this weeks WI, that's a fab result, well done! xx

Thanks guys, all your support has really helped

I think I was just looking at the small loss rather than the bigger picture and getting my half stone award has reminded me that small things turn into big things :D

Everyone has given brilliant advice and I'm a bit behind the times, but just wanted to add a couple of things.

I think at the front of the food optimising book, in massive letters there should be something along the lines of;

"Forget everything you have learnt about losing weight. Society has been feeding you misinformation all your life, possibly causing you to make unhealthy choices for years. Trust the plan and you will be rewarded."

Firstly, the ideal, healthy weight loss range is 1-2lbs per week - which amounts to nearly 4-8 STONE a year! You didn't go to sleep the ideal weight for your height and wake up overweight, so it wont come off overnight either, you will have to work at losing weight, but it'll be worth it :)

One thing you have probably heard about losing weight that is true, is that the only way to lose weight is to take in less calories than you are using up. Slimming World have done a very good job in coming up with the plan and helping you reduce your calorie intake without you really noticing, so trust the plan!

The most common comment people make about SW is "my friends can't believe how much weight I'm losing, they say things like 'how can you lose weight when you eat so much'" Or "I can't believe I'm losing weight you should see how much I eat!" It's about calorie density, as I've said before SW have done a really good job of working out free foods, healthy extras and syns so that you can eat and eat, but are actually taking in quite a few calories, it's not the quanity on what you're eating it's the quality. Think about it, say a choccy bar has 500 calories, this is quite small, where as 350g of pasta also contains 500 calories (An average bowl is 105g).

Please please please, use your syns as this helps make sure you have enough calories. Some great suggestions on how to do this, I'm not a fan of the name syn as it implies they are only for naughty things, like wine, choccy, crisps. A syn value is given to everything that isn't a free food. A HEx is about 6 syns if you want to have extras.

Hope this helps.

Natt xxx

Back