Food today
B - porridge with raisins
L - veg soup with lots of pulses/grains, bread and cheese
S - baked apple (leftovers)
D - smoked salmon and spinach in white sauce with courgette tagliatelle, pear

Morning!

Food today

B - porridge with raisins
L - dry fried egg and bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes with 1 small slice of wholemeal/rye toast, yogurt with grated apple
Pre-dinner - glass of red wine
D - courgette and chicken soup with laughing cow 'cheese' mixed in, more bread possibly, banana custard

Last edited:
Not real bacon, it's this, but still better than the stuff marketed as Brit-style bacon here which is full of water, tasteless apart from the salt and so thin there's nothing to bite into. It was a nice meal though, and followed it up with a coffee and muffin once I'd done the dishes:D.

No, real bacon is lovely (occasionally) but that's not what is sold here (despite their claims). Maybe Jo can back me up if she's tried it (Herta, for info).

Proper bacon from the butcher or farm shop is a must when I'm back in the UK.:D

We took some proper bacon back home with us once after a trip to the UK. While we'd had the exact same stuff during our UK stay, it didn't taste right in France. Weird! So, from now on it's a holiday food only!

We took some proper bacon back home with us once after a trip to the UK. While we'd had the exact same stuff during our UK stay, it didn't taste right in France. Weird! So, from now on it's a holiday food only!

Very strange! :eek:

Have you also noticed that no other country can make sausages as good as ours? I remember the French version as I hated those in particular.

None of us like UK sausages:eek:. The locally-made ones here are lovely though but sausages are really BBQ-only in this household except for the occasional stewed in onions and tomato. Not so keen on the merguez (spicy beef) ones though but I will eat them. The youngest two love the Herta 'sausages' though - frankfurter style and processed far too much. The eldest wisely eats something else (as do parents) when they have them. I'm hoping they grow out of them soon!

Anyway, food for today
B - porridge and pear
L - green salad with avocado, smoked fish assortment, baked apple and custard
D - soup (don't know what yet) followed by omelette, bread and cheese

aaah sausages from farm shops are fabulous... but I won't touch the supermarket ones either! I'm lucky as my OH used to be a butcher so he cures our bacon himself and makes our sausages so at least we know what's in them (ref. latter, it's usually better not to know!).

Not a fan of supermarket bacon from the UK (watery) and haven't bothered with the French variety as it looks different and it's too finely cut.

oooh Robin - my OH found me cottage cheese here :) (composition: 100ml = 89 calories; 2.3 glucides + 3.9 lipides; 11.2g protein). I'd not eat it in attack though, and will stick to a spoonful per day in Cruise!

I'd have bitten your hand off for cottage cheese during cruise, Jo (well, almost). Which supermarket did you find it in? Hope you enjoy!

I bought McVities Digestives this morning after not having any for a good few weeks. Have to celebrate the start of stabilisation somehow;).

Very strange! :eek:

Have you also noticed that no other country can make sausages as good as ours? I remember the French version as I hated those in particular.

Err.. I take a big issue with that (takes German hat off again..) Farm sausages yes maybe, but not those off the supermarket shelf!

Anyway Laura, don't mean to hijack your diary! your food looks lovely as usual. We normally scoff the cauliflower because we like it so much, before there's a change of turning it into soup! As far as DD1 is concerned - soup has to have lentils in it:D I'm so glad she shows any interest in soup so I'm happy to oblige - for now!
I see you had Quinoa - how do you cook that & is it nice? I recently saw a recipe that used Pearl Barley like rice (not in soup) that might be interesting too?

Anja, the quinoa is very easy to cook - like rice basically. We all enjoy it (more than rice) so have it quite a lot - it has much more taste than even wholemeal rice, I find.

I always have a pack of pearl barley in the cupboard too, mainly for soup, but I have had it cold as a salad dish with veg mixed through it and that's very nice.

Tonight's soup is mixed veg with lentils (ideally soup needs pulses in too - I agree with your DD:D). Mine will eat soup if it's blended although sometimes bribery is used:eek:.

Anja - Oh yes, supermarket sausages tend to be pretty disgusting. You know, I don't think I've ever tried any German sausages. Must admit that I didn't enjoy the dumplings that seemed to be put into practically everything I ate whilst in Germany - they initially tasted nice, but appeared to turn into concrete once they hit my stomach. However, they have lovely hospital food over there as I found out when I was stuck in a clinic in the Black Forest for 3 weeks! German desserts and cakes are often pretty damn good, too.

Anja - Oh yes, supermarket sausages tend to be pretty disgusting. You know, I don't think I've ever tried any German sausages. Must admit that I didn't enjoy the dumplings that seemed to be put into practically everything I ate whilst in Germany - they initially tasted nice, but appeared to turn into concrete once they hit my stomach. However, they have lovely hospital food over there as I found out when I was stuck in a clinic in the Black Forest for 3 weeks! German desserts and cakes are often pretty damn good, too.

(with apologies to Laura again)

German Cuisine is *heavy* on the whole but with huge regional variation. I was completely ignorant of dumplings (Knödel) for most of my childhood (being a 'Northerner', and in exile). Now the only ones I like really are the bread-based Semmelknödel! But Cakes and desserts - YES ;-) Every housewife bakes a cake every week (and if you believe that you'll believe anything :D) - but yes much more everyday home baking still happening than in the UK, also among the 'younger generation'

I'd have bitten your hand off for cottage cheese during cruise, Jo (well, almost). Which supermarket did you find it in? Hope you enjoy!

In "Champion" as was...; now renamed "Carrefour market".
But while googling to find a link for you, I see you could buy it in online:
http://www.telemarket.fr/dynv6/prod...-Cottage-Cheese-Fromage-Frais-2-x-200-g.shtml

I do have a bit of a mental block where cottage cheese is concerned, and can't quite get my head around the fact that it's ok in England yet not here (except perhaps in limited quantity as a "tolerated")... so I'll be careful with it!

Last edited:
Back