Consultants - the good and the bad!

My consultant is absolutely fabulous! She gives us so much support and love, Answers all the texts and emails and always has hi-fi bars, magazines, books. the interest table is full of old issue magazines you can borrow, we have a table wih exercise dvd's we can also borrow. She always praises our losses, no matter how small it is. If we had any gains, she will ask us if we know why, and helps us to be back on track for next week, then we always get a round of applause for support! I have been to another group once and i have to say my consultant is much much better.

Last edited:
I forgot to say earlier that our Consultant has also set up a facebook site for our group.

We also have two trestles in the centre of the hall, with lots of boxes, tins, bottles and packets labelled with their syn values - although they are nearly all low syn, some are still quite a shock! There are also display boards with group members "before and after" photos, "free foods", details of Body Magic and loads more information. All in all, lots to look at and absorb whilst waiting to be weighed!

i like my consultant and it is very true that they are only human, i asked had she heard about this site and she had but said that she was scared to go on as she might be denigrated, i said no way everyone is lovely so she said she might post,just out of curiosity are there any consultants on here at all ?

I know two consultants - the one at my group, and one I am related to.

They are completely different, but both are very good. And being related to a consultant gives me an idea of just how much hard work goes on behind the scenes (although this will get easier when they are all signed up to the digital system). And I help out with delivering leaflets sometimes - now that has to be the most boring job ever!!

The consultant at my group is terrific - sympathetic and funny and a great personality.

I don't think we appreciate just how much work they have to do behind the scenes! The promotion side takes a lot of time up.

I don't think we appreciate just how much work they have to do behind the scenes! The promotion side takes a lot of time up.

And I don't think that those of us who DO attend well run groups appreciate that either.

If you've never been to SW before, so have nothing to compare, you just presume that all groups are the same, and everyone else has/does all the things that YOU do...

A very useful thread.

Quite true Roz - we just turn up at weighing time! The C has to set out the room, get all her stuff set up, get all the bits out for the table (magazines, recipe books etc) and then do the class! At our group, we do not allow people to weigh before 5.30 as this is when the group starts, people start to turn up from 5.15 and then moan cos they can't get weighed!! Then, at 5.30 there is a massive queue and people moan again! This is then reflected on the C and they moan about her..... it's an endless cycle. By all means turn up early but please don't complain!

As I've said before in this thread, I think my Consultant comes onto this forum but .............. I really think I have to vent these things .... the more I read about other groups, the more I realise just how GOOD the members are at my group.

My current Consultant turns up AFTER most of the group! She only pays for 1hour hire of the hall we're currently in, so the caretaker just turns up for 1hour and insists he leaves on time. (I know that our last Consultant at this group used to pay for a 2hour hire, which gave us all much more time, and the Consultant was always early, so had everything set up before most people turned up - if anyone was early, they would help out but weren't "expected" to)!

Our current Consultant gets anyone who's willing to carry her scales and cash box, any other stuff she does bring, from the boot of her car, while she just saunters in carrying her handbag! She doesn't help us members to set up the room, WE set out the chairs, tables etc. while she nips to the loo, and fixes her make-up!

She hardly ever has any recipes or anything of interest to display on the "interest" tables we put out! (she does sometimes have a few back issue magazines and a couple of folders with recipes, but not always, and when she does it's the same ones as ever) She expects members to get her a cuppa! She expects members to organise the raffle, providing a suitable prize, selling the tickets - and often gives derrogatory remarks about the prize itself! We members buy in the tea, coffee, milk, sweetener, juice etc., wash up the cups and so on too! The members bring in something for the Slimmer of the Week basket (Consultant DOES announce the winner and gives out the contents of the basket, right enough but doesn't always have a Slimmer of the Week sticker to give out or a nice Slimming World carrier bag to put the basket contents in, whereas our last Consultant always did these things)!

We members do the weigh-in and take in the money - no-one gets any word of "thanks" from the Consultant at all for our efforts! - this is probably the MOST annoying thing overall!

When anyone calls or texts the Consultant for any reason we can hardly ever get her at all, and she hardly ever gives us a note of the password until someone asks her for it during the group ...... if she can remember it!

The Consultant honestly just seems to turn up, does the new members talk, a quick Image Therapy and leaves again! Believe it or not, she CAN be quite "nice" sometimes, but that doesn't make up for everything else!

ooohhh........ rant over ...... sorry for going on a bit - lol

Wow - she's rubbish!!

Ours does everything your group does, she buys the prizes, provides the drinks but we do bring slimmer of the week stuff in, that's what's meant to happen.
We do the weighing and the money and sell the tickets but she does the rest. She's a great lady.
Yours needs a big kick - the group should be 90 mins! I'd be ringing SW if I were you.

As I've said before in this thread, I think my Consultant comes onto this forum but .............. I really think I have to vent these things .... the more I read about other groups, the more I realise just how GOOD the members are at my group.

My current Consultant turns up AFTER most of the group! She only pays for 1hour hire of the hall we're currently in, so the caretaker just turns up for 1hour and insists he leaves on time. (I know that our last Consultant at this group used to pay for a 2hour hire, which gave us all much more time, and the Consultant was always early, so had everything set up before most people turned up - if anyone was early, they would help out but weren't "expected" to)!

Our current Consultant gets anyone who's willing to carry her scales and cash box, any other stuff she does bring, from the boot of her car, while she just saunters in carrying her handbag! She doesn't help us members to set up the room, WE set out the chairs, tables etc. while she nips to the loo, and fixes her make-up!

She hardly ever has any recipes or anything of interest to display on the "interest" tables we put out! (she does sometimes have a few back issue magazines and a couple of folders with recipes, but not always, and when she does it's the same ones as ever) She expects members to get her a cuppa! She expects members to organise the raffle, providing a suitable prize, selling the tickets - and often gives derrogatory remarks about the prize itself! We members buy in the tea, coffee, milk, sweetener, juice etc., wash up the cups and so on too! The members bring in something for the Slimmer of the Week basket (Consultant DOES announce the winner and gives out the contents of the basket, right enough but doesn't always have a Slimmer of the Week sticker to give out or a nice Slimming World carrier bag to put the basket contents in, whereas our last Consultant always did these things)!

We members do the weigh-in and take in the money - no-one gets any word of "thanks" from the Consultant at all for our efforts! - this is probably the MOST annoying thing overall!

When anyone calls or texts the Consultant for any reason we can hardly ever get her at all, and she hardly ever gives us a note of the password until someone asks her for it during the group ...... if she can remember it!

The Consultant honestly just seems to turn up, does the new members talk, a quick Image Therapy and leaves again! Believe it or not, she CAN be quite "nice" sometimes, but that doesn't make up for everything else!

All I can say is O...M...G!!! She sounds completely crap! That is soooo opposite to how my class runs! My C does everything! There is NO WAY she'd expect us to provide raffle prizes or refreshments!

You seriously need to write to SW. I'm sitting here with my mouth hanging open in disbelief!

Wow - she's rubbish!!

Ours does everything your group does, she buys the prizes, provides the drinks but we do bring slimmer of the week stuff in, that's what's meant to happen.
We do the weighing and the money and sell the tickets but she does the rest. She's a great lady.
Yours needs a big kick - the group should be 90 mins! I'd be ringing SW if I were you.

My class is exactly the same.

As I have said elsewhere, I know two consultants - the one who runs the group I go to, and also my sister who runs a group in the Midlands.

They both arrive ages before anyone else and set up, sometimes with the help of family members. They are both very appreciative of their teams of helpers (weighing, shop, etc.) and they get Christmas presents for them.

They are both always available for their members, by phone or email.

This is what consultants should be like!!!

WHAT?! You lot should club together for scales and ditch that b**ch! You're running your own group anyway!

We have a member who takes the money & deals with the sales , but the c does everything else . I was sure a big thing about SW wsa that it was only the c who was allowed to weigh you & not another member. you are not getting your c's full attention if they are only reading your Loss/gain off your card at image therapy.

We have a member who takes the money & deals with the sales , but the c does everything else . I was sure a big thing about SW wsa that it was only the c who was allowed to weigh you & not another member. you are not getting your c's full attention if they are only reading your Loss/gain off your card at image therapy.

While you have a valid point, the c wouldn't be able to do the weighing and new members talk at the same time.

In our group our target members or very long standing members take turns to help the C out weighing if there are new members, but she's always hovering about to check on members whilst they're being weighed. She always has tea and coffees and an urn, i've never been to a class when she hasn't put on refreshments.

Sometimes her daughter pops along to help her with computer stuff, as we're digital now and she always has handy hints and print outs. Sometimes i've gotten to class really early and she's already set up, like, 20 minutes beforehand. I think she'd keel over if she heard about your consultant Jacky!

She's even organised us a Christmas meal night out at a Greek place and made sure they have SW-friendly items on the menu like grilled chicken kebabs etc. And she supplied all the drinks for our Ruby Party. Every week she tells us that her job is the best job in the world and that she loves it. Sounds like your consultant really doesn't share that sentiment!

While you have a valid point, the c wouldn't be able to do the weighing and new members talk at the same time.
Ours does the new member talk at the end , once everyone else has gone home . It's only the one week you need to stay a wee bit later.

I cannot fault my consultant in any shape or form. She's enthusiastic, very friendly and well-organised. She's always very chirpy and a great advocate of SW itself because she has a lost a massive amount and looks fabulous on it.

I first did SW 10 years ago and although I achieved my target at the time, I very rarely stayed to class because of the way the classes were run - very clinical and unfriendly (and dare I say, boring...!??!!?:confused:). However, I have now been doing SW since the beginning of June and I stay to class every week because she makes it so interesting and makes you feel welcome.

Some of the stories on here about other SW consultants are dreadful and makes me appreciate our classes even more!

I don't think you can take your consultant for granted. As said already, they have an awful lot of work to do "behind the scenes" and it can't be an easy job, always being positive and keeping everyone happy all of the time. I certainly couldn't do it so they get my vote every time.

To any of the hard-working SW consultants reading this, keep up the good work and the not-so hard-working ones, you need to take note........!??!!?:rolleyes:

This is so good to know I am not on my own!!! I have recently moved groups because of my very BAD consultant who only seems interested in the money they are taking. During 40th party week we had a taster session and he didn't bring ANYTHING in to it. I got my Club 10 4 weeks ago and never got a sticker, certificate or letter through the post. He is rude, impolite and unproffessional in soooo many ways. A member of one of his other groups gave him a bunch of old SW mags to give away and he is selling them at other groups!!!!! He never talks about food - just about getting drunk at weekend. He always forgets the raffle and SotW. He has made some members cry (incl me). He recently pressured one woman who is at target by saying he was going to start charging her backfees. Obviously he wants her to reduce her taget weight some more so he can make more money out of her. He has discussed Christmas party and suggested they all go to the chinese restaurant. I could go on and on and on....

However, my new consultant seems ab fab and last week made soup for everyone!! App she did a big curry night for everyone for the 40th party making popodoms and bhajis and curry. Shame I left it so late to leave. Onwards and upwards now though.

Thanks for this post. Rant finally, well and truely over! xx

Back