Contaceptives and Weight Gain??

Discussion in 'Nutrition, Health & Beauty' started by Lindam, 12 June 2008 Social URL.

1. Lindam

Lindam Silver Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi

Anyone got any views on contraceptives and weight gain or the fact you cannot get below a certain weight when on a particular brand of pill/inj/coil??

:girlpower:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. paris192

paris192 Full Member

the pill made me gain weight, Does the coil do the same cos i was thinkin it might be the best solution.

4. Lindam

Lindam Silver Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi

don't think I am the best person to advise on coil as just had a bad experience with one.
    I have had the injection and have found it hard to shift a final stone in weight - but could be down to age, having had children maybe?? Or is it just an excuse??

5. Mixxi

Mixxi Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st11.5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st2lb
    Lost(%):
    1st9.5lb(12.14%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I used to take the pill about a year ago for nearly a year and I gained quite a bit of weight (I didn't weigh at that time so I don't know how much). I think I did because it made me REALLY hungry and I just ate and ate and ate whatever I wanted.

6. carinna

carinna Member

I was on the pill! aside from slight headaches and fibro adenoma, I didn't notice any problems with weight gain or loss.

7. Charisma

Charisma Silver Member

ive had the injection for bout 3 years but only put weight on over the last year so i dont think there connected!! plus never had any other problems on it

8. dehli

dehli Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(10.47%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I had a 6 month depo injection once and that's when my weight problems really started. It made me completely tired all the time, my head itched constantly and I couldn't stop eating. I'd definitely never recommend contraceptive implants.

9. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    I remember when I went on the pill donkey's years ago, I noticed a small problem with the weight, but I've heard more concerns about depo causing much bigger weight gains, very quickly.

Obviously dehli hasn't had that problem, so it must effect people differently.

10. Charisma

Charisma Silver Member

i didnt gain when i started using it!

11. nina

nina Silver Member

Start Weight:
    335lb
    Current Weight:
    333lb
    Goal Weight:
    175lb
    Lost(%):
    2lb(0.6%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting and exercise
    while I was on the pill for the shrinking of ovarian cysts, i gained 60 lbs in a year!

12. Fat&FedUp

Fat&FedUp Full Member

I have tried evrything!

Depo made me feel awful, ad i actually fell pregnant on it and then miscarried.

I now have the implant, whichI love and causes me no problems at all!

13. cateka

cateka Full Member

Start Weight:
    8st7lb
    Current Weight:
    7st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    7st3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st0lb(11.76%)
    I've been on the pill for two years now, and I haven't noticed any change. However, when reading the leaflet for it, I did notice that the active ingredients are those released naturally by the body during pregnancy - this is to stop you getting pregnant when already pregnant. Maybe this is what causes the apietite in some people?

14. wannabslim

wannabslim Gold Member

Start Weight:
    15st7lb
    Current Weight:
    14st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(4.61%)
    Diet:
    I'm not dieting, I'm on the pregnancy diet!
    I took the pill for 2 years, followed by 2 years on depo, and then back to the pill for the past 3 years(first was progesterone only as BMI too high for combined, then when I lost weight back to original combined pill). I have to say that my weight problems really started when I first went on depo (hence being unable to go back on the combined pill after) and I think that it is partly to blame, although I did start uni at around the same time and that was when the weight began piling on!!! Since coming off depo and getting back on the pill I have lost lots of weight and am continuing to lose. I don't believe the pill causes weight gain or hinders weight loss (or at least for me anyway), although maybe depo does. I felt very emotional on depo and not having periods made me feel liberated in some ways but I believe it affected my pyschology in a negative way.

Just my experiences xxx

PS I should add that I have been on 2 different types and 4 different brands of pill and have found none of them have been a problem with regards to weight.

15. totty

totty Personal Trainer

Start Weight:
    14st0lb
    Current Weight:
    10st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st1lb(21.94%)
    Diet:
    My own
    I didnt gain weight whilst on the pill

BUT...when i had 1 pill injection....i put on just over 4 stone in a few months!! :eek:

struggled ever since really...but slowly it comes off :sigh:

i have the coil now...well i have for the past 5 years...i love it!!! and going back in feb to get 10yr one fitted!:D

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.