Cookery Books and Management

Mrs Lard

Silver Member
Here's a question for all the Management (and beyond) LL'ers.

We are moving out of our home next week, possibly for up to 4 months and I am hoping to be out of Development and into Management by then. All our belongings bar the essential items, are going into storage so I am deciding now what needs to stay and what needs to go.

I have a lot of cookery books that have not been opened this year. Should I just put them into storage or is there a chance that during Management I will need them? OR are all the recipes provided?

I must admit I haven't missed them during Foundation but once they're in storage, I won't be able to get them.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Mrs Lxxxxxxx

Hi Mrs L, you do get a small recipe book every 4 weeks on management which gives you some ideas for the foods introduced each week. As the list of food is restricted, "normal" recipes aren't that useful. I tend to eat fairly simply i.e. protein plus salad/veg and fruit/yogurt. I think if I were in your position I'd keep out one or two favourite books and store the rest. It's easy to find recipes online if you get stuck. I've only used my book in which I write out recipes during the last few weeks, though I do read other cookery books for pleasure.

Good luck with the packing:)

Hi Mrs L and Goombagirl

Firstly just wanted to say that I love both your posts; full of wise words! I have just got the men's management books which have only just come out and the recipes in there are similar to low GI, I'm sure the priciples are the same.

Point being if you have any low GI cookbooks it might be worth keeping them out as I'm sure you would be able to use some of the recipes as you go through management.

If you haven't got any it might be worth investing; I've got the low GI diet cookbook which has some good recipies in it and have just ordered anthony worral thompson's low GI book which a friend recommended.

Two weeks until management and I'm really looking forward to it (with some trepidation!).

Good luck
Johnny :D

Hi GG and Johnny

Thanks so much! This is very encouraging; I shall indeed put the books into storage. GG you are so full of wisdom! Funnily enough, the nurse at my practice (GP's) also recommended AWT's book so I think that's a must. I somehow feel my Nigella books on baking won't be so useful. And no, don't have any GI books...maybe that was where I was going wrong!

Johnny - great to have a male perspective. How are you finding LL? Very good to be so close to management; well done!!

Once again, many thanks and have a great weekend.

Mrs L xxxxx

I bought AWT low GI book too, to plan for the great day when I can eat again! its a fab book, really clear with some great recipes! I plan to start using some of the ideas now, for the family so it's not such a shock to their systems when I am "back"!!

Good luck with the packing too!

Hi Mrs L

Thanks for your comments - I'm really pleased to be preparing myself for management so quickly. I have found this diet to be incredible and couldn't imagine that I would feel (and look) the way I do now after six weeks. Although I only had about 3 and a half stone to lose (only! - that has to be a small child!) I had tried lots of diets and lost weight successfully but lost heart when I was only losing a pound or so a week. Also it always felt temporary; a quick fix then back to old ways.

LL has given me the opportunity to really think about my relationship with food and how I will make the lifestyle changes I need to. I've always liked healthy food but had the attitude 'I'm fat already, one salad isn't going to make a difference'. 'Crooked thinking' I think you would call it!

Strangely, I've developed a really healthy interest in food over the past six weeks. Looking at recipe books (low GI), looking at restaurant menus and thinking about what I would choose and thinking about doing a short cookery course. I think not being hungry has given me a whole different perspective.

Physically the difference has been amazing. My energy levels are so much better, without the highs and lows through the day. In the time I've saved not shopping/cooking/eating I built exercise in nearly every day riding my bike, swimming, pilates, etc. My BP has gone from 190/100 to 120/70 (one of the main reasons for embarking on this) and I've lost about 20ins all over (chest/waist and thighs).

The groups for men are a bit different (I have a friend in a womans' group) I think that there is less TA and CBT, but it is still good to meet with others going through the same process. The rest I pick up from mini's; I find your and AJs posts particularly motivating.

That's it in a nutshell! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who wants to fix both their weight and attitude to eating. Looking forward to the challange of management now.

Take care and good luck with your move.

Although I only had about 3 and a half stone to lose (only! - that has to be a small child!)

I have never thought about it like that, that is incredible isn't it. Thanks for bringing that to my attention Johnny.
Strangely, I've developed a really healthy interest in food over the past six weeks. Looking at recipe books (low GI), looking at restaurant menus and thinking about what I would choose and thinking about doing a short cookery course. I think not being hungry has given me a whole different perspective.

I've been doing the same, I go into management a week tomorrow (Monday) and have been planning on a low GI/vegetarian diet. It's nice to hear that you also look at menu's and plan what you have as well as doing a short cookery course. I thought I was a bit strange and obsessed with it, obviously not. There is a women in my area that does cookery courses and I wanted to go, I think I will now.

I built exercise in nearly every day riding my bike, swimming, pilates, etc. My BP has gone from 190/100 to 120/70 (one of the main reasons for embarking on this) and I've lost about 20ins all over (chest/waist and thighs).

I don't think I need to say anymore, this kind of puts it all into perspective and all those crappy days seem worth it whn you get results like that.

A huge well done and good luck with your management journey, please let us know how you get on as it is so nice to have a male perspective.

xx

Hi Betty

Thanks for your comments. I'll look out for your management posts as you'll be a week ahead of me.

Interesting that your feeling the same with recipe books, cooking courses etc - my friends think that I'm torturing myself but actually I'm just finding it really interesting learning what goes into things and how it's done.

Well done on your great weight loss and good luck with the rest of your journey.

Hi Johnny and Betty

Just wanted to say thank you for the posts! I shall be keeping my eyes peeled for you both as you embark on the management journey!

Congratulations on getting this far (particularly in record time, it seems, Johnny); you sound SO positive - the other guys must pick that up, too?

Enjoy the rest of the Holiday (ha!)

Mrs L xxxxxxx

Thanks Mrs L,

You enjoy the rest of the holiday too - what a wash-out, will it ever stop raining??

Take care,

Johnny well done to you too and I shall be looking out for regular updates from you too.

Mrs L, had another update of your blog (Nutella springs to mind) I am loving the way that you are documenting your thoughts and being so open. I wish I was more like this. Great reading and good luck with the move. I can't believe you are actually moving when on LL. I do think you are brave and it takes some stength.

Back to normal tomorrow and I expect the sun will be out.

xx

Great thread! While a way from eating it is something I'm starting to consider...def thinking about low gi as not had a single attack of ibs since on LL - quite the opposite in fact!! Will have a hunt!

Back