Cooking for mum and dad

KateR

Gold Member
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on recipe ideas.

I've been at SW a couple of weeks and even though I've lost 3lbs I haven't really been following the program as I have just moved in with my mum and dad and they are both amazing cooks who love strong flavours or creamy lovely things. I have told them I will cook this weekend, id like to cook something which is quite low in syns but doesn't taste like diet food. Does anyone have any recipes which would fool my picky parents? I'm a pretty good cook (woah check out that ego ;)) so I'm happy to try something more complicated but I have a fish allergy so that rules out fishy things.

Any help would be awesome! My parents could do to shift a stone or two too so If I can sneak them into a diet that's even better! Haha

Thanks in advance

Kate

What about a sw curry and sw chips? Goes down a treat with my other half who thinks I have it as a treat ;)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using MiniMins

Hi, I don't think much of the SW food actually tastes like diet food..... the only things which do are things with sauces made from quark etc!

Have a look through the recipe sub forums, there is so much information on there.

I like to do a curry night - a lovely chicken tikka masala or dhansak, boiled rice, make some onion bhajis, syn some poppadoms or a small naan bread.

There's no reason at all why SW food can't be strong flavoured :) The SW website has lots of recipes on but the recipe threads on here are great.

Thanks, I had a brief look but I kept seeing things like quark and I did a little shudder! Hehe

I am going to make meringues with Splenda and egg whites and have that with strawberries... Yum!!

I've also seen a recipe for salt and pepper chicken which looks deeelish!

I like the idea of a curry, my dad LOVES curry! Good thinking batman ;)

X

Meringues with splenda are classic diet food!!! To me they just don't taste right, IMO you cannot do a diet pudding! Best bet - make eton mess. Use the lovely chewy M&S or Tesco finest meringues (3 syns each) crushed up with strawberries and either 0% total greek yoghurt with a bit of sweetener or 2% greek if you want a couple more syns.

It is lovely.

What about diet coke chicken?

Please post any/all recipe requests etc in the recipe section

Thread moved

Personally I would juts pick a meal you know they would like and adapt it to make it SW friendly. Most things can be adapted by omitting/substituting things like oil, cream, sugar etc or using them in moderation or counting things towards your HEXes. Its easy to trim fat off things and use less of things.

I always find it better to start with a meal I would actually want to eat and make it healthy than search around piles of rubbish looking for something semi-edible when Im trying to entertain someone else :D

I use a lot of bbc good food website recipes and adapt them (although most just require to Syn the oil or use fry light) I have picked up some crackers and usually type in the veg I have and work round that! There is also a healthy eating sub section and veggie section.

It depends what they like, I would prob do a Chinese or Indian banquet sw styleee :)

i dont tend to follow slimming world recipes that much as a lot of the low fat substitutes i dont like (like quark)

some suggestions I make are:
chilli con carne with rice (add lots of veg - onions, mushrooms, peppers, carrots, corgettes (know these are traditional chilli but i still do them). add extra lean mince, tinned chopped tomatoes (i do a big one so use 2), tom puree and kidney beans. serve with some finely grated parmasan.

cottage pie - same main stuff as above (but no tinned tomatoes, tom puree or kidney beans) but add 2 beef oxos... simmer down and then add mashed potatoes (some people add other veg as mash but for me its too away from cottage pie).

stir fry beef or chicken (or prawns but no good if u dont eat fish) with onions, mushrooms, peppers (or any stir fry veg). cook with a blue dragon sauce sachet or some sweet chilli sauce. serve with either rice or noodles.

roast dinner, with lean meat, dry roasted veg (parsnips and potatoes) and veg.... served with a frozen yorkie (2.5 syns) and gravy (depends how much u have).

i do a lot with slimming world chips - fish, peas or veg; chicken wrapped in parma ham with veg, steak, pork chop etc
the other day i made a chicken kiev (first whiz up some wholemeal bread (lightly toast and chop firstwith 2 cloves of garlic and some parlsey). cut into chicken breast and add a tbs of philidelphia light with garlic and herbs into pocket. spray fry light and then coat in the breadcrumbs.

we have slimming world curry often... we also do some creamy sauces which are more syns but worth it.
lean bacon, mushrooms and courgettes fried together and then some stock + add a few tbs of elmlea single light cream and serve with linguine.

we also do pasta with pesto (look at the different makes for one that is lower in calories - think the red ones are less but green is nicer). add some philli extra light. i dont add much pesto (maybe 1-2 tsp) and often have it with tagletelli pasta.

Back