Couch to 5 kilometres (C25K) Challenge!

No ones posted here in a looooong time. Wonder will there be any newbies to C25k soon?! Come oooon people - get running! :) Completed my first 10 mile race on Saturday... (that's around 16km) I couldn't run for 5 mins at the start of the year... just goes to show eh?!

Sent from my Galaxy S using MiniMins

I've just searched for this thread as I've just downloaded the app and thinking of starting this week. I've never done any running before and really apprehensive as I'm 3.5 stone over weight. I do a fair bit of biking and walking tho.

smartie831 said:
I've just searched for this thread as I've just downloaded the app and thinking of starting this week. I've never done any running before and really apprehensive as I'm 3.5 stone over weight. I do a fair bit of biking and walking tho.

I never did any running before this either so don't worry about that. That's the whole point of the program. If you stick to it, it really does work!
If you wanna wait until you've lost more weight that's completely understandable too as that's what I did - I was afraid I'd hurt my knees/shins lol. Sounds like you have a good base fitness though with the biking and walking :)

Well I have my first 10km race on Sunday so getting really nervous now!

Only started the app in June and didn't even complete it because I got bored (oops) but I do believe it gave me the confidence to jog. Wish me luck!!! X

Well I have my first 10km race on Sunday so getting really nervous now!

Only started the app in June and didn't even complete it because I got bored (oops) but I do believe it gave me the confidence to jog. Wish me luck!!! X

Excellent!! I love a good 10km race.. I think it's the perfect distance. Far enough to feel like you've done a hard run but short enough to not be left absolutely dying aterwards. Have done a couple of 10km races this year and done a few of my own 10km runs too!
Good luck hon - remember to go to the loo before going to the start line. Get into the right section for the time you think you'll finish in. Drink plenty of water along the way. You'll do great - keep me posted on how it goes :D xx

Excellent, well done you!! How'd your OH find it? Bet you feel great for starting it :) x

smartie831 said:
Bless him He wasn't even out Of breath! Haha

Ah well. Truth is it's easier for men anyway hon, they have more muscle mass than women so remember that ;) keep it up though and you'll really see the difference in your fitness level soon. I used to feel like I couldn't breathe while jogging and just last night I ran 4 mile no bother x

azwethinkweiz said:
Excellent!! I love a good 10km race.. I think it's the perfect distance. Far enough to feel like you've done a hard run but short enough to not be left absolutely dying aterwards. Have done a couple of 10km races this year and done a few of my own 10km runs too!
Good luck hon - remember to go to the loo before going to the start line. Get into the right section for the time you think you'll finish in. Drink plenty of water along the way. You'll do great - keep me posted on how it goes :D xx

I've only ever done my own runs this is my first race so extra nerves but once I start I'll be fine hopefully. Lol I know what u mean about the loo it's mad lol! Running for a hospice that looked after my bosses wife so I have to finish lol xx

claireb10 said:
I've only ever done my own runs this is my first race so extra nerves but once I start I'll be fine hopefully. Lol I know what u mean about the loo it's mad lol! Running for a hospice that looked after my bosses wife so I have to finish lol xx

You'll love it hon - you'll be hooked on that wonderful feeling you get when you see the finish line and everyone is clapping & cheering you on! I'm cheering you on virtually hehe. You'll do grand hon - my first race was this year too. Nerve racking but was glad I did it xx

claireb10 said:
2 hours for the start of the race, bring it on! Xx

Woooo good luck hon :D xx

azwethinkweiz said:
Woooo good luck hon :D xx

Completed it, was so different to what I expected! First race done in 1:19:42 so I now have a figure to improve on, onwards and upwards :D xx

claireb10 said:
Completed it, was so different to what I expected! First race done in 1:19:42 so I now have a figure to improve on, onwards and upwards :D xx

That's fantastic hon!! Well done - look how far you've come now. Really amazing :)
What kinda things did you find different to what you expected? It's so brill that you got your first 10km race done, yaaaaaay! :) xx

azwethinkweiz said:
Ah well. Truth is it's easier for men anyway hon, they have more muscle mass than women so remember that ;) keep it up though and you'll really see the difference in your fitness level soon. I used to feel like I couldn't breathe while jogging and just last night I ran 4 mile no bother x

I can't wait to be able to run a whole 30 mins! There is a parkrun every Saturday that's 5km so hopefully November ish time when I've completed the plan. Do you have running trainers? Saw some asics but dunno whether to fork out so soon.

smartie831 said:
I can't wait to be able to run a whole 30 mins! There is a parkrun every Saturday that's 5km so hopefully November ish time when I've completed the plan. Do you have running trainers? Saw some asics but dunno whether to fork out so soon.

Yes I have asics and moulded insoles (was having some trouble with my calves). If you wanna defo defo get into it then I'd recommend running shoes for sure... Mandmdirect sometimes have them going cheap? I got mine in sale in a sports shop hehe :)
Keep it up and you'll be doing those 5km runs no problem soon x

azwethinkweiz said:
That's fantastic hon!! Well done - look how far you've come now. Really amazing :)
What kinda things did you find different to what you expected? It's so brill that you got your first 10km race done, yaaaaaay! :) xx

I know who would have thought when I started in June lol. Just everything really, was so hard to keep jogging as I spent most of my time going around people so it put me off n I didn't jog as much as I thought I would have. I know been looking at what other races are on, defo going to keep this up now. U got another planned? Xx

claireb10 said:
I know who would have thought when I started in June lol. Just everything really, was so hard to keep jogging as I spent most of my time going around people so it put me off n I didn't jog as much as I thought I would have. I know been looking at what other races are on, defo going to keep this up now. U got another planned? Xx

Yeah exactly! You've come so far since june... It's only the stay of september and you've already done a 10km race - pretty amazing! :)
Yes, going around people is hard work. It can be frustrating sometimes.
I don't have any more planned no. Last one I had signed up for was last weekend and that was 10 miles. Giving myself a wee break from races now lol ;) x

Back