Couch to 5 kilometres (C25K) Challenge!

Hi
I've done the c25k before and actually started again before Christmas (haven't been out for a month now though). I've got my eating under control I now need to get myself back out there. I'll probably start back on week 5 and see how it goes.

As for losing weight doing it, I lose absolutely nothing running alone and I lose weight perfectly well without running, but I do think it helps to boost weight loss when I do them both together. More than that though it tones me up. I am a much better shape when I run, legs, arms and stomach look better - more shapely. Plus I FEEL better about myself. X

Started back on c25k today as the snow was washed away by the rain last night. I enjoyed being back out there. Started back at week 5. Is anyone else still doing the programme?

Hi all

Hope you're getting on ok? I'm going to start again tomorrow - I even have all my gear ready by my bed, no backing out! I managed a 10k race last August so I do have the legs & lungs there somewhere, just out of practice. So I'm attempting week 3 & I'll take it from there :)

Yay! Someone to talk to!

I'm sure you'll be fine. I love that you've got your clothes out and ready, I always know that getting into my running gear is the biggest battle, if I manage that I know there's no backing out and I've got to go. I did week 6 run 1 today. It really does feel good to be back out there again, hard work but good. I feel better all the time!

Hope it's a good one!

I know exactly what you mean, once the gear is on I just go out & get on with it....getting into it is the issue!!

Week 6 is good, almost there :) You've done it before then? Did you complete the plan? Have you done longer distances in the past? I started nearly 2 years ago for the first time & I do like it when I get out there! I found today's week 3 run - dare I say it - a bit easy, so will do a week run on Wednesday morning. If that's ok I'll start week 5 & follow the plan on till the end. Only 2 runs this week as visitors at the weekend & I know I won't get out. :)

I know exactly what you mean, once the gear is on I just go out & get on with it....getting into it is the issue!!

Week 6 is good, almost there :) You've done it before then? Did you complete the plan? Have you done longer distances in the past? I started nearly 2 years ago for the first time & I do like it when I get out there! I found today's week 3 run - dare I say it - a bit easy, so will do a week run on Wednesday morning. If that's ok I'll start week 5 & follow the plan on till the end. Only 2 runs this week as visitors at the weekend & I know I won't get out. :)

I did wonder if you'd find it a bit easy as you were up to 10ks before :) well done for getting out there though!

I did the programme 2 years ago too. I was running 5k regularly -even entered a race and managed one 10k. Then pulled my ham string, went to the wedding I was losing weight and getting fitter for and lost the motivation. I've started again a few times now but something has scuppered it each time. Now I'm back on it all again, I've got a holiday this year and a big birthday.I want to sort it all out before it gets too hard and I start to fall apart :p

I think you're right, just jump a few runs until you find it a bit harder. Then take it from there!

Last edited:
I've started again a few times now but something has scuppered it each time.
Hmmm, I'm supposed to go out again tomorrow but went over on my ankle a bit on yesterdays run, hurting today. I'll see how it is in the morning :( - I will NOT be happy if I'm scuppered again!

Hmmm, I'm supposed to go out again tomorrow but went over on my ankle a bit on yesterdays run, hurting today. I'll see how it is in the morning :( - I will NOT be happy if I'm scuppered again!

I hate that...I have an issue with my hip that fortunately seems to improve with light running - Zumba though another issue...not good for gammy hips :D

I know what you mean about time going by, getting older & not fitter! Fortunately I've never been really big, mainly due to exercise & active jobs, but I definitely have the potential to gain lots of weight - so keeping focused on an exercise goal is great & you look & feel better than just when losing weight :)

Hope your ankle improves quickly & defo don't go out tomorrow if its sore :(

I won't, though I'll need to be nagged to go as soon as it feels okay or 3 months will have passed and I still won't have graduated the c25k again!

I love dancing, ! Zumba is so much fun! I love to salsa too, my friend and I used to go every week. Brilliant way to help lose the weight and get fit!

I can nag you!! I'll ask every other day about it....so how's your ankle today????!

I'm up as I had to do something for uni, wasn't sure about the weather, blowing a gale & looking (fair weather runner!) So I stuck my head out the front door & saw someone running over the road....so no excuse & not actually raining!! Just going to have a 10min snuggle with hubby & then I'm off out!!

Well it started sheeting it down pretty much as soon as I posted my previous message, so even if I hadn't thought about going back to bed for 10mins I'd still have bottled it....oh dear. Will do it tomorrow before work (what a drag) :( !

I like running in the rain :) there's something refreshing about it.won't run in snow though and I hate running in the wind or when its hot.

Looking at the time I'm guessing you're out there now hope it its going well - week 4?

Please do nag me. I think I'll run tomorrow or Fri depending on the ankle and work. Want to get back out now.

No I didn't go, I would run in the rain in spring/summer/autumn but its sooo cold out and I don't have decent waterproof gear so I wimped out - tomorrow it is! I'm only aiming for 2 runs a week, I enjoy it but I do get bored easily and I've got 6 months till the 10k so I can take it easy :)

No I didn't go, I would run in the rain in spring/summer/autumn but its sooo cold out and I don't have decent waterproof gear so I wimped out - tomorrow it is! I'm only aiming for 2 runs a week, I enjoy it but I do get bored easily and I've got 6 months till the 10k so I can take it easy :)

I think we cross posted :) oh what a shame! Did you get out today?

I get bored too but am currently listening to a great podcast zombie story. its loads of fun and makes me forget I'm running. Its not an audio book but more of a radio drama. Each episode is between 15 and 20 mins I love it :) there's over 100 episodes too so should keep me going! "grrrgurgle" :)

I'm gonna start C25k on Friday. On the treadmill tho! I have started it twice before and never got passed week 2 so will hopefully get further this time x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Brill good luck, third time lucky! The trick is to take it REALLY slowly to start. I've only tried running a couple of times on the treadmill before. I prefer things to look at though I guess you do get to go run in all weathers! Good luck for Friday!
I'm gonna give my ankle one more day and run on Friday. I've a mad busy day tomorrow too anyway.feeling better though only noticed it this evening!

I listen to podcasts on the run too!! In the gym I used to watch tv as well - I find music makes the time drag - odd isn't it?! When you're watching / listening to something I think you're do focused on that you ignore the nasty running part! I did a week 4 run today, definitely tougher than week 3, so I'm glad I did that on Monday to warm me up! Start week 5 next week...

Linzmain - I hope you have a good session tomorrow & manage to stick with it. The first time I did it I had to repeat days/weeks till it became easier - I found the jump to week 3 soooo tough so did that week twice! If you find it's getting too hard & slowing your pace doesn't work, try repeating a run until that's easier then move up. The 9 weeks isn't god everyone - it took me about 15!!

Hules - hope your ankle is getting better & you get out tomorrow - just think of the post run smug feeling!!

Morning!

Finally went out for Week 6 Run 2 in the rain today which is 10/3/10. I felt strong (even considered missing out the 3 min walk in the middle but decided to follow the programme in the end) and had no pain in my ankle at all - yippee! Hopefully it'll still be okay tomorrow.

How is everyone else getting on?

Well done - glad your ankle is feeling better & brilliantly well done for not dragging your feet ' getting back out there :) I haven't run since Thursday & feel like its not going to happen tomorrow - I have do much to do that I think I'll run Wednesday & Friday, week 5 runs 1 & 2... Ate you doing the full program, 3 runs a week??

I'm aiming for 3 runs a week. I have a kind of rule of run one day, rest the next with no more than two rest days between runs if I can help it. Though I have to fit them in with work and kids and it's not always working out as well as it did when I ran it last time. .....and then there's snow this morning which I don't mind, but I do mind ice and that usually follows it :( . I've had enough of snow now!

Hope your chest sorts itself out soon, you definitely can't run out with that x

Back