Couch to 5k

i only managed the first run and couldnt breathe at all :(

maybe still not well enough ellie?

Thanks guys , Eileen I feel your daughters pain :( I dons it in the train do embarrassing had to txt a work mate to come walk me up from station cause I couldn't see! Lol hope your daughters ok soon x

El You may well still not be fit enough, drink plenty and rest x

yep still not right.... i have a cold lingering.... has been for weeks but hasnt made me unwell as such..just not right .... think its also the cause of my headaches and dizzy turns... hope it bogs off soon

Uck that's rubbish :( fingers crossed it goes away and soon!!! I haven't ran for a bit because of my neck and o/h been playing a lot of footie :( need to get a wriggle in my run is may 20th!!! Convinced my friend I ditched to come back with me but no gossiping and leave her child at home this time lol but to be honest may have to walk it this year due to neck :(
I love the support on here no negativity! Helps heaps :)
Feel better soon x

Did day 2 of week 2 today :) chuffed I picked up the pace from last time despite being ill this week! Bit behind on schedule so depending on legs I might complete week 2 tomorrow. Know it's against advice, and I'll be hacking too so we'll see. I'd just like to be on track for the race for life! X

Glad your feeling better el :) don't worry you will do it!!!! Don't pressure yourself your doing great :)

My first attempt with sore neck is Monday :( not going to push too much plus my friends a wimp Wong need to ask her twice to stop lol
X

P.s hope u don't think I'm rude shortening your name to el but my iPhone is mental and keeps changing your name every time I try to type it in arrrrrrrgh!!!!! :)

Didn't go today cause of the hack, aiming to go tomorrow!! X

Last day of week 2 today. On to week three on Wednesday (that's the plan anyway!) x

Week 3 day 1. Never felt so disheartened in my life! :( that was unbelievably hard, I honestly don't think in a million years I could run 10 times that. Argh :( so depressed. And got some anterior knee pain too at the end so I'm in a general grump! Rant over...x

Aww eilidh don't give up I know it seems hopeless but I know you can do it!! Tell me what your doing everyday ill see if I can help with suggestions :)

Its just disheartening cause it was unbelievably hard and its a tiny distance! I'm using couch to 5k iPhone podcast so today I walked 5 mins to warm up, jogged 90s, walked 90, jogged 3mins, walked 3 mins, jogged 90, walked 90 then jogged 3min, walked 3 mins. Then a bit more. The 3 mins feel like a lifetime! I'm definitely not built to run. Although I did my fastest km yet tonight it was ridiculously hard!

Thanks for your support! X

might be an idea to repeat week 2 then try week 3 again

Yes don't give up, it will get better, but nobody said it was easy! I have just taken a week off and getting back into the swing of things is not automatic either, even though I was doing 3x6k every week. Back to just doing 4-5 at the moment. Just jog slowly, redo the week 3 as many times as feels comfortable and don't go too fast! you do need to pace yourself and not go haring off at the start. And no, you can't run 10 times that. Not right now, but the time *will* come. Trust yourself and trust the programme. You just need to give your heart, lungs and legs (and MIND!) time to get used to the idea. And as I said before, there are days when your legs will just not do your bidding, so just put it behind you and go again another day.
There is some useful background reading scattered about this site:
Couch to 5K - Live Well - NHS Choices

If I could do it so can you!

Thanks guys. Tomorrow is a new day so I'm going to retry week three again and see how it goes. I just felt so down it was so hard!! Friend who I'm doing the 5k with started the programme tonight at week 4 :( humph. Makes the working through I've done so far seem pointless! I'm going to stick at it-I've never been able to run so why can't I change that now? X

Aw elidh I feel your sadness, I felt the same but it DOES get easier, I know it doesn't feel it just now but it does. Stop comparing yourself to others that won't help you, everyone is different and takes different times you will get there :) I believe you can do it because if I can then anyone can!!!!! Have a Dukan hug and don't give up your doing fantastic xxx

You've already been given the best advice, all I want to say is everything that has been said is true. I was exactly the same as you when I started c25k, was convinced I'd never be able to do it and I just wasnt made to run, but I did it and have been running 5 k 4 - 5 times a week for over a year now which has helped me maintain my true weight. I believe everyone can run if they try, it's just believing in yourself that makes it possible. I love running so much I have ran on a camping holiday in the lake district and on holiday in Florida, I hate if when I don't have the time or the weather is bad. If anyone had told me I'd be a runner a couple of years ago I would have laughed in their face. Keep it up you're doing great and you will be successful

Thanks guys. Tomorrow is a new day so I'm going to retry week three again and see how it goes. I just felt so down it was so hard!! Friend who I'm doing the 5k with started the programme tonight at week 4 :( humph. Makes the working through I've done so far seem pointless! I'm going to stick at it-I've never been able to run so why can't I change that now? X

Definitely not pointless. And as jan9209 said - never compare yourself to others. We're all different build etc etc
And the working through from week one means that you can actually run 3 minutes without stopping now, and without injury! It feels hard, but you did it - twice over in a space of 10 minutes! I bet you would have collapsed in a heap had you tried it on day one (I would). I do have a vague recollection thinking after week one 'I can do this' and after week two or so 'ouch this is getting harder!'

I have only read one book on running cover to cover (rather than skipping through it like I did some others), and I keep recommending it on here - it's called 'No need for Speed' by John Bingham - it's out of print but I got it from the library. It's all about running for your own enjoyment at your own pace. I'm never going to win a race but I have already completed one (and without actually coming last)...

I started running last August and have kept it up religiously, and you would have thought it was all pretty routine now, but I've just been out tonight and it was not exactly enjoyable (PP day makes evening runs a bit of a killer!). It takes me about 10 minutes of running (after the 5 minutes warm -up walk) for my legs to stop feeling so achey tired... and 20 minutes for me to stop thinking that I want to stop a walk a bit! I really admire louschu for being such a natural, I am definitely not - shows you again how different we all are. I run, I enjoy it at times, I enjoy being fitter, but I still have to 'make' myself go out there nearly every time. So I didn't take my running shoes with me on my choir trip to Belgium - but I will definitely take them on holiday this summer, I look forward to running along the beach or in the countryside!

Keep us posted we're all rooting for you!!

Thanks everyone-hugs appreciated. This is what I needed this thread for-advice, motivation and a bit of a shake. I WILL do day two tomorrow, I did enjoy week 1 and 2 and I'm enjoying going out,even in the rain! Will keep you posted, and I'll need to look for that book!

X

Back