Couch to 5k

What distance are you running jan?? 20 mins Friday-eek!! Glad my legs withheld tonight as I rode 11km yesterday so they were working!!

It's only 4 miles but still chuffed I've done it for 3 years :) all goes to a good charity and then may attempt a longer one! Your legs may hate you but your weight won't :)

WELL DONE Eilidh!! Great work. Don't worry about speed, just keeping going is such an achievement. 'Speed' comes later, you need to give your body time to kepp up / catch up / adjust to the new challenges you set it. This is absolutely great stuff :) and all in only 5 weeks! And look at your weight curve too - summer here we come!

Thanks anjushchka! Unfortunately weight has stalled since I started couch to 5 k vut I'm enjoying increasing my fitness although I won't be at target by July holidays I'll just restart after. 20 mins tomorrow-argh!

Good luck for tomorrow - you CAN do it, I promise you! And the feeling of achievement afterwards is GREAT.

Re weight - I can't really comment as I did not start running till way into Stab and I've not been losing then... but yes, by itself running will not necessarily make you lose scale weight and of course you are building up muscle mass. But it will make you fitter overall. My resting heart rate is now 60-64 (though I have no idea what it was before), I have checked so many times because I can't believe it - that's really fit, though overall I'm not exactly a top athlete! I've not measured my heart rate while I'm running though.

I can-and did!! :) even pushed on in the last two minutes and recorded my fastest ever pace!! :) x

Way to wreck my thunder...friend just skipped all the rest of week 5 and just did day 3 "no bother". It's annoying. This is an achievement for me! X

I can-and did!! :) even pushed on in the last two minutes and recorded my fastest ever pace!! :) x

Yeah - GREAT STUFF and so well done. :happy096:

Way to wreck my thunder...friend just skipped all the rest of week 5 and just did day 3 "no bother". It's annoying. This is an achievement for me! X

Well I still think very well done to you. And it is an achievement. Would you have thought in January you'd be here in May, 3st lighter and running for 20 mins without stopping?
I hope the friend was still suitably positive to congratulate you on *your* achievement. If not, and she's only in it to outdo you at every turn (some people need that) I have a feeling she's not a helpful running partner at the moment... Also you *might* be able to go faster more quickly etc, but you might well do yourself some damage. I have read comments from people on the C25K forums who were so elated on their 20mins (or whatever) and they felt so good that they just kept going for quite bit longer - and really damaged themselves in the process!

Yeah it was annoying, especially since she puts on weight to hit 7 stone..different shapes! I'm chuffed and pleased she managed too with an injury so after mentioning it's a cumulative process I said well done! Haha. I'm not pushing past 20, I felt like it tonight but reined myself in. Likewise I wanna run tomorrow too but I'm waiting till sunday! Need to follow the injury prevention advice I give all the time at work and give myself a break.

You're definitely right, I did not see myself 3 stones lighter and running for 20 minutes. I feel I need to add sprint training at some point too, have you ever done that? My boyfriend used to sprint so might make him help me! He dutifully cycled along side me tonight while I jogged along :) in the rain! X

Thank you!

Thanks Eilidh you *are* an inspiration!

I have finally finally run more than 6k/for about 35 mins again today, no idea why it took me so long. And I even 'sprinted' for the last 300m (I don't do sprinting :rolleyes:), inspired by your efforts!
I did feel much better but I'm sure I have been making excuses these past couple of weeks with lots of shortish 20-min runs ('don't have the time' / 'the weather is crap') interspersed with 5k runs where I made myself finish the route I knew would be just 5k. Last Thursday my GPS watch lost satellite signal about 1 min into it so I think I hared off far too fast, my calves were killing me :( so I did a smaller loop that was again only 25 mins. But today all was good, the weather okay, I made sure I had a route where I could do extras but not shortcuts, and I actually ran at a much better pace too, without feeling half a tired as I sometimes am. Now I just have to keep it up!

Just thought I'd share. It's all in the head, as usual!

Well done for persevering!! I actually considered sprint training today (for all of about 30 seconds, the notion passed) cause I have to sprint at times at work and it could do with some improvement! Think I'll stick to the 5k first and see how that goes!

Week 6 day 1 tomorrow, so tempted to go today but being sensible! Back up to my flat from parents house (ie home!) tomorrow so I can run where I know the route/timings etc! X

Week 6 day 1 today and my first run with another person! Despite a slightly dodgy gps rating at the start, an overall good run and I certainly pushed myself further than normal, and included some hills!! I'll be sore tomorrow!! Away home for a few days this week so it'll be different running there, with the pooch and new routes!! x

Week 6 day 2 complete and I felt it went better than day 1! Took the dog as I was at home and it was lovely to run along the promenade :) she seemed more tired than me!! Both 10 minute runs were fine, slight shin pain towards the end but it's fine now :)

25 minutes on Thursday and long runs from now on eeeek! Entered race for life today and considering a "parkrun" the week before!!

X

Have literally just completed week 1 day 1. I wasn't sure I was light enough for it yet and thought I might struggle but I surprised myself. I know there's a long way to go but I'm chuffed I've got the first day under my belt. And the park was full of couples and groups lounging on the grass but I just kept my (increasingly red) head held high and kept going :)

Have literally just completed week 1 day 1. I wasn't sure I was light enough for it yet and thought I might struggle but I surprised myself. I know there's a long way to go but I'm chuffed I've got the first day under my belt. And the park was full of couples and groups lounging on the grass but I just kept my (increasingly red) head held high and kept going :)

Well done and keep it up! It's great once you start, and it does get easier - after a while :) I was too hot today, I'm so used to running in the cold that I'm not at all prepared for heat...

I'm about to go now cause the temperature is just down, but I've eaten so it won't be good! Well done vixx!

Back