Cous Cous cake..

Snugglepuss

Silver Member
Hi i know this has been done lots and i have done a search but can't find the thread im after.......

Instead of making cous cous cake in the microwave can it be done in the oven?? I think i saw someone post a picture that had done singular ones in muffin cases :confused:

If so how long would it go in the oven for and on what temp??

Sorry to be a pain, Thank you x

Hiya I think that was me. I baked mine at 180C for 25 minutes.

Was it this pic?

IMG00313-20091111-2318.jpg

IMG00314-20091111-2319.jpg

Thats the one thank you :)

I'm attempting my first ones today!!

Eek, don't open up the whole "is it or isn't it synned" debate will you!!
I can't stand cous cous cake thankfully!!

Oooh you brave people - well-meaning friends made me an apple cous cous cake for my birthday.... nice thought but it was grim! I would have preferred to use a whole week of syns on a lovely choccie one! x

I really adore cous cous cake and have made both the lemon and mincemeat (fruit) as loaves. Really yum but as jaylou said it can be contavertial as some people call it free, which I thought, and SW said it's not. What I thought was a whole free cake was 20 syns, if you count the cous cous as it's used for baking. I don't agree with this but it is what SW states.

I have looked and looked on the forum and cannot find the recipe.

Anyone know please?

I don't know the recipe for the ones pictured here but these are the recipes for ones I have made. I can't remember where I found the original recipes but I think they were here. I just tweaked them to my taste.

Mincemeat Couscous Cake

8 syns for the whole cake if you count the cous ous as free or 28 syns if you syn it.

4oz couscous

3 eggs
4 tablespoons sweetener
2 teaspoons of mixed spice

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons mincemeat
juice from 1 lemon

Heat the oven to 180

Soak the couscous in boiling water (normally use double the height of couscous) add the sweetener, mixed spice, nutmeg, cinnamon and lemon juice with the water, stir and wait for it to soak in. Add the mincemeat
Whisk the eggs then add them too and mix well.
Pour into a greased loaf tin and bake for 40 mins

Lemon couscous cake
Free on green and Extra Easy (20 syns if you syn the couscous)

4oz Couscous
2 eggs
3 lemons - juice and rind
5 tablespoons granulated sweetener (splenda or canderel)
1 tub quark
1 teaspoon baking powder

Cover couscous in boiling water - cover and leave to stand for approx 5 mins then fluff with fork.
Beat together all remaining ingredients and add the mixture to the couscous
Pour into a cake tin and bake in a preheated oven (approx 180˚) for 45 minutes or until firm

Hey Malaika
I made your lemon cous cous cake last night - but I think I may have used the wrong round cake tin - 'cos when I let it cool IT SHRUNK to about 1 inch in thickness - what am I doing wrong? Also, do I have to use quark or could I use golden syrup instead? Maybe next time you make one, could you post a picture on here? xx

My daughter made the mincemeat one on Wednesday for class, I only got one piece as it flew out, everybody loved it.

I thought SW had confirmed that cous cous was still syn free as it was still being used in its true form, and not being ground down?

Hi Katykoos
I'm going to try your this weekend - so it's free if on a green day then? I only follow red and green days on SW xxx

Okay dokey my lovely - are you able to get a single muffin tin or do you just just the ones with a few muffin tins on (the metal ones) - do you grease them and if so what with?

Hey Malaika
I made your lemon cous cous cake last night - but I think I may have used the wrong round cake tin - 'cos when I let it cool IT SHRUNK to about 1 inch in thickness - what am I doing wrong? Also, do I have to use quark or could I use golden syrup instead? Maybe next time you make one, could you post a picture on here? xx

I bake mine in those disposable foil little loaf tins (small loaf size, I guess, approx 8ins x 4ins and 2 inches deep). The cake comes out about 1 1/2 inches deep.

You will have to have the quark. The honey would not do, though you could substitute the sweetener with the honey if you prefer that.
I have just finished eating the mincemeat couscous cake which, out of the two I prefer!
I'll put pics up next time I make either.

i tried the basic cous cous muffins with vanilla mullerlight, but found them to be a bit yuck- just tasted like sloppy couscous with vanilla mullerlight on (which i dont particularly like) however i might have a go at the lemony ones, they sound nice!

We have been told that cous-cous is to be syned from some while b ack in the summer. Its a shame as the syns are too high to bother with. i loved the bread pudding like one.

Phil x

i've just made the lemon cous cous cakes just now for the first time, i was a bit weiry about trying it, but it was yummy, just gave one to my mum also who really liked it, said it tasted like lemon drizzle cake lol.

I didn't use baking powder in mine. xx

How do you make the savoury ones with the cheese? xx

Back