Cranberry Challenge - Countdown to Chrimbo

Plumfoodie

Paleo maintenance rocks!
:109:

I know we're a small group in this forum, but I thought maybe we could have a Christmas challenge. Personally I find it very difficult to maintain focus at this time of year; as the days get shorter and darker and the weather gets chillier, all I want to do is sleep and eat.

The challenge is simple: choose a personal goal that you would like to achieve by Christmas (could be weight loss, could be exercise, could be anything really), copy the list into your own reply to this thread, add your name and goal, and check in every week to update your progress.

Plumfoodie: lose 10lb (0/10 lb lost)

:sign0163:

Plumfoodie: lose 10lb
AshieFan: sort out paperwork and finance
AshieFan: make home-made christmas cards and presents

I think it's a great idea Plum, to set a challenge for ourselves for the upcoming deliciously evil temptation season (aka holiday foods). It will help keep us focused on keeping our eye on the goal.

I know it's going to be tough to get to my challenge weight as it's getting closer to the holidays. I picked 13lbs so I can reach a nice even number of 150lbs. It's possible to reach it if I lose about 1.2lbs a week for the next 11 weeks :)

Plumfoodie: lose 10lb (0/10)
CaliSweden: lose 13lbs (0/13)

Last edited:
Woo nice to see people on board. :D Rock on with our bad selves! :D

Ashie, I really admire your goals and I hope you'll post about the handmade things you're going to make. :) I didn't put any 'task' goals because I never seem to achieve them and then I feel worse (I still have the materials for last year's homemade Christmas gifts in their shopping bag). In fact my weight goal is, ahem, aspirational, but we'll see! I'd really like to overcome my hibernational fat-layering instincts this year.

I admire my goals too :) I'm not sure how I will get on but hey, you gotta try. I must admit I have loads of things that could have been goals and my first instinct was to put them all down.

Unfortunately, I am a bit of a procrastinator, especially about things I find uncomfortable to deal with, eg finance. But I thought that if I had it down in black and white there might be a chance I might actually deal with it. That's the theory, anyway. :)

(I still have the materials for last year's homemade Christmas gifts in their shopping bag).

Perhaps you could post them to me and I could finish them off and charge you money to buy them off me so that you could pass them off as your own. I see a win win situation. :D:D

Perhaps you could post them to me and I could finish them off and charge you money to buy them off me so that you could pass them off as your own. I see a win win situation. :D:D

LOL good entrepreneurial spirit!! I'm determined to do better this year, time for me to get on the ball. I often wish that I could get these things to do themselves like the mum in Harry Potter - set some knitting going and a pot of chutney bubbling and stirring itself on the stove...

I'm terrible with paperwork and finance stuff too. I once got on top of it through a mammoth effort but it didn't last long. My unopened post (not bills, but routine statements etc) is embarassing.

I will keep things REALLY simple for the Christmas cards. My LO and I are going to make the cards (only need to make about 10) - it's basically a simple tree shape that he can cut out and stick on to card. We will then cover the card with sequins or seed beads and put a glittery pompom on for the star. :)

I figure family will think it's cute. And I know LO will enjoy it. I may have to get another design ready in case he gets bored! I will photograph the finished product and post them on here for you to admire. LOL :D

Ooh I'll look forward to the pics - anything with sequins and pompoms gets my vote! We always enjoy handmade cards like that when we get them. :)

So it's been over a week since the Cranberry (Christmas) challenge began. I'm so happy it began on a Tuesday since it's my weigh in day. I now have 11 lbs to lose in 10 weeks. That means I need to lose 1.1 lbs a week to reach my challenge weight.

I hope to get to 150 lbs in 10 weeks. It'll be really nice to get to that weight and also to reach the challenge weight goal. I guess I better my corn bread eating, since the past two days I've been eating way too much corn bread >_<

CaliSweden: lose 13lbs (2/13)

Well done, Cali. That is a very positive start to your challenge. :)

Me? Well, I was not planning to start my Christmas cards and presents till November so no change there. My finances and paperwork: did some shredding (quite a lot actually), changed my energy provider so I pay less, closed ISA account with ridiculously low interest rate and put money in a higher interest account. Not bad for my first week. I have to say that knowing I was going to have to update here helped me to kick my butt into gear.

AshieFan: sort out paperwork and finance (saved £20 a month on energy & gained 3% interest rate & got rid of some clutter)
AshieFan: make home-made christmas cards and presents (no progress)
CaliSweden: lose 13lbs (2/13)

Wow Ashie you're on a roll, £20 a month adds up quickly and switching to higher interest rate for putting your money in is great:)

I agree that thinking of this challenge keeps me a lot more focused :)

Noooo, I had a gain! So now I just took a step backwards on the challenge :( Darn you totm!!! I think that's the worst thing about the gain was I kept thinking about the Xmas challenge. Now I'm going to have to make up for the gain.

Now I have 11.2 lbs to lose in 9 weeks. So that is about 1.24 lbs a week. I can still do this! :)

CaliSweden: lose 13lbs (1.2/13)

I am sneakily ignoring the updating of my challenge this week, because I don't think my weight is stable after my recent flights. It seems like every week I come up with a reason not to update it, ha, but I promise that next week I will, whatever the result!

EDIT: actually, I've decided to stop being so stupid. I've looked at the calendar and I'm modifying my Christmas challenge goal to be more realistic and easier for me to log against *now* instead of in a week or whenever. So the list, now in festive colours...

:smiley1842: Cranberry Christmas Challenge 2011 :smiley1842:
(9 weeks to go!)

Plumfoodie: reach 165 lb (current: 173 lb)

AshieFan: sort out paperwork and finance (saved £20 a month on energy & gained 3% interest rate & got rid of some clutter)

CaliSweden: lose 13lbs (1.2/13)

Last edited:
I had a loss this week, so I can finally get closer to the goal for the Xmas Cranberry Challenge.

Now I have 10 lbs to lose in 8 weeks. That's 1.25 lbs a week if everything goes right. But since we all know the dreaded totm isn't calculated in, I'll take away 2 weeks just to be on the safe side. Which means I must lose 1.66 lbs a week. I've become a little obsessed with the Xmas Challenge :)

(8 weeks to go!)

Plumfoodie: reach 165 lb (current: 173 lb)

CaliSweden: lose 13lbs (3/13)

You are all doing great on the cranberry challenge. Well done!

Only 7 weeks left until Christmas!!! It's getting so close now, but it still feels a long ways weightwise for me >_<

But if I loose 1.29 lbs a week, I will still be able to reach the goal. Or if I have a couple of rough weeks, that's 1.8 lbs a week in 5 weeks.

(7 weeks to go!)

Plumfoodie: reach 165 lb (current: 172.2 lb)

CaliSweden: lose 13lbs (4/13)

Noooooo, I went backwards on the challenge! With only 6 weeks left to go I'm starting to feel a little like I won't make the weight goal :(

(6 weeks to go!)

Plumfoodie: reach 165 lb (current: 172.2 lb)

CaliSweden: lose 13lbs (3.6/13)

(6 weeks to go!)

Plumfoodie: reach 165 lb (current: 172 lb)

CaliSweden: lose 13lbs (3.6/13)

Back