Crediting yourself

Silence

Bouncing back
Hi.
I've just started a programme called the Beck Diet Solution, which is a self-help cognitive therapy programme. One of the things Dr Beck, the author, promotes is "crediting yourself" ie praising your own good behaviour with regards to your diet and exercise plans. It basically allows you to acknowledge and reinforce good and positive behaviour.
I've been doing it for a few days and I can really feel the benefits. I feel so much more positive about dieting because I am focusing on the positive aspects. Some of the people who post in my diary, where I've been posting my credits, suggested that I start a thread to encourage other people to credit themselves and be more positive. So here it is...

Here's an example of my credit list:

I credit myself because I walked quite a bit yesterday and managed to keep up with my friend who walks really fast.
I credit myself because I resisted temptation at the cinema and did not buy popcorn or sweets.
I credit myself because I stuck to my diet again today.
I credit myself because I was positive and I stayed in control.

Hope Dr Beck's idea helps other people as much as it has helped me :)

~Silence~

Good idea for a thread! For some reason I really like making lists, so this plan might be good for me!

I credit myself for going a week (so far) without eating after I get home from work (finish at ten, so no need to eat anyway)
and I credit myself for trying really hard to have real meals at work and not just nibbling on a bit-of-this,-bit-of-that.

I guess if you're having general self esteem probs you can carry this into other areas, I'd really like to know more about the program.Could you point me in the right direction please.
Well done on your progress so far

I guess if you're having general self esteem probs you can carry this into other areas, I'd really like to know more about the program.Could you point me in the right direction please.
Well done on your progress so far

The book is called The Beck Diet Solution by Judith Beck. You can pick it up off Amazon for a couple of pounds. I think she also has a website, which you could google.

~Silence~

this sounds like a really good idea.

i suppose you could bring it into all aspects of your life ....not just to do with your weight :D

Amen, we used to do this with Lighterlife (it used to be called Lifeline when it first started up) We used history of achievements and achievement ratings for the day or week and then positive affirmations each day and positive visualisation...

Mine for this week would be:-

I credit myself for going to the gym yesterday
I credit myself for sticking to SW 100% this week
I credit myself for not giving in and buying a bottle of Baileys in Asda (even though they were reduced to £5 and I absolutely looooooove Baileys)

Good idea Silence!

Will start doing this in my diary thread I think - will have a look at the website as well.
Heres the link:

www.beckdietsolution.com - Home

xx

Was gonna put these in my diary, but I thought I would share.
2 Credits for today
1. Got round Asda with out getting the naughty stuff
2. Managed to claw back my indulgence from the weekend today and didn't end up a ravenous wreck

Well done Janey. :)

Love this idea for a thread.
My credits would be:
1 - Credit myself for sticking to my diet today even though I've felt really ill.
2 - Credit myself for phoning my autistic cousin for a chat - as I know it makes his day even if it can be quite exhausting as he can talk for Britain lol :)

credit myself for having a black coffe in macdonalds yesterday,

Well done hun! Credit to you for resisting all the temptations that McDonalds offers!

I bet you're so proud of yourself!

~Silence~

thanks silence, have just returned to credit myself again. Few minutes ago was slicing up a pizza for todays birthday teaparty, found myslef thinking that no one would notice that a small slice was already gone, then thought 'No i'm not actually hungry right now' thats twice in 2 days....i could be on a roll here

thanks silence, have just returned to credit myself again. Few minutes ago was slicing up a pizza for todays birthday teaparty, found myslef thinking that no one would notice that a small slice was already gone, then thought 'No i'm not actually hungry right now' thats twice in 2 days....i could be on a roll here

Acknowledged positive behaviour (crediting yourself) leads to more positive behaviour... keep up the good work!

Credit myself for walking round asda and not buying anything naughty for myself except chocolates which were for this society I run (tradition).
Credit myself for sitting between 2 people both eating chocolates, and not having one myself
Credit myself for charging someone else to take the rest of the opened pack of chocolates home so that I wouldn't be tempted to lapse and eat them myself
Credit myself for getting through day one on LL, even though it's pretty tough going!

I like this crediting thing, it makes me think of all the things I've done well today not just how crap I feel now. So now I feel better.
Great suggestion, Silence.

Credit myself for walking round asda and not buying anything naughty for myself except chocolates which were for this society I run (tradition).
Credit myself for sitting between 2 people both eating chocolates, and not having one myself
Credit myself for charging someone else to take the rest of the opened pack of chocolates home so that I wouldn't be tempted to lapse and eat them myself
Credit myself for getting through day one on LL, even though it's pretty tough going!

I like this crediting thing, it makes me think of all the things I've done well today not just how crap I feel now. So now I feel better.
Great suggestion, Silence.

You're very welcome Ellie... it's not really my idea... it's part of a self-help cognitive therapy programme called The Beck Diet solution. I think it's a very very good way to acknowledge your positive behaviour.

Well done on all your credits! Keep up the good work and keep crediting yourself!

~Silence~

Back