Crime Novels

abz

Gold Member
Hi guys. I love reading crime fiction, be it patricia cornwell/james patterson kind or the agatha christie kind or the ian rankin kind. most kinds in fact :) i even loved the famous five :D

i am going through a bit of a phase of reading them again and have run out of ones on my bookshelf. was wondering if people could recommend some authors to me. or if people would just like to chat about it. i think the book club section could do with being a bit busier :D

abz xx

Hi Abz

Have you read any Karin Slaughter books. I have only read one (and can't remember what it was) but I did enjoy it. It was crime based and a thriller all at the same time.

Charls

I did read a karin slaughter novel. and i can't remember what it was about but i seem to remember finding it horrific. great book but really hard core. i think it involved rape, but my mind has blanked it out. it's on my shelf at home... ha. are all her books like this?

abz xx

I have only read one and that was a murder based story and the local police man was the guilty party. It was good, but yes, as you say, quite graphic.
I also like to read Ruth Rendell, or her alias Barbara Vine. Another good author is Minette Walters, not sure if all hers are crime though. She wrote The Sculptress, that was on tv with Pauline Quirke in it. Another good one is Martina Cole..... Gosh you have got me planning my upcoming holiday reading list!

Charls

ha. I've heard of the sculptress. is that good? and i think i have the odd martina cole on the shelf. or at least the staff room does, but i can't place anything she's done...

Two Women is a good one of Martina Cole's, I would recommend it. They are all based around London and gangs/hard men etc. They are usually really long books as well as you really get involved in the stories.

I am also a massive fan of real life crime books. Last one I read was all about the Rachel Nickel investigation and written by a policeman. It was a very interesting read.

I have all of kathy reichs i think, other than her most recent one :)

she rocks. i prefer her to cornwell, although the titles of her books are rather cheesy usually.

i think cornwell has gone off the rails a bit with scarpetta. she wussed out with a major storyline and since then things have been a bit meh. i can't remember the last one i read but it didn't seem to end. it was just problem problem problem TADA, solved it, without explanation on how they got there...

and i love the tv series bones too. nothing like the books. of course now you can buy the bones series of books, based on the tv series based on the books by kathy reichs... that made me laugh :D

abz xx

i do go through big ian rankin phases. he reminds me of david jason's frost :D

i even have the odd agatha christie inspector wexford... i'm not proud :)

abz xx

Hi Abz

Have you read any Karin Slaughter books. I have only read one (and can't remember what it was) but I did enjoy it. It was crime based and a thriller all at the same time.

Charls

I did read a karin slaughter novel. and i can't remember what it was about but i seem to remember finding it horrific. great book but really hard core. i think it involved rape, but my mind has blanked it out. it's on my shelf at home... ha. are all her books like this?

abz xx

I'm reading the latest Karin Slaughter at the moment. They are quite graphic but thoroughly absorbing!

Yeah i like reichs better than cornwall....i have got some brilliant one-hit-wonder novels from secondhand bookshops that are really ace....one was by a guy called alex kava...he was good.

Cheesy titles....yeah i reackon so...lol x

Alex Kava is actually a woman and I've just finished reading the whole Maggie O'Dell series - quite good but a little "basic".

Other recommendations (I'm a bit of a crime novel fanatic) are:

Tess Gerritson - very like Karin Slaughter
Jonathan Kellerman - Very good Alex Delaware series
Faye Kellerman - Jonathan's wife
Jesse Kellerman - their son - bought his debut novel - not read it yet though
Sue Grafton - Kinsey Millhone (the alphabet series) is fantastic - certainly one of the books that I wait with baited breath for the new one to come out
John Sandford - Lucas Davenport & Kidd series are both excellent - have been reading these since finding them in uni about 18 years ago - still find each one fantastically fresh and very intelligently written.

Best stop now coz I could go on all night!!!!

hey there, i have read all of the Karin Slaughter books, and the first book, 'Blindsighted' is the most graphic, they all are quite gory as such but once you are a few chapters in, thats it....you're hooked! she is fantastic and not at all predictable. her last one, Skin Privilege, blew me away! amazing book.
Another Crime Book i have just recently read was Brian Freeman 'Immoral' never heard of him before but he was very good.
Also barbara nadel, One of John Grishams book is based on a true story of a man on death row- An Innocent Man- thats a good read too. If i think of any more i will let you know!

Tess Gerritsen is fab. Have you read any of Linda Fairstein's? My all time favourite is Harlan Coben though

hey there, i have read all of the Karin Slaughter books, and the first book, 'Blindsighted' is the most graphic, they all are quite gory as such but once you are a few chapters in, thats it....you're hooked! she is fantastic and not at all predictable. her last one, Skin Privilege, blew me away! amazing book.
Another Crime Book i have just recently read was Brian Freeman 'Immoral' never heard of him before but he was very good.
Also barbara nadel, One of John Grishams book is based on a true story of a man on death row- An Innocent Man- thats a good read too. If i think of any more i will let you know!

Skin Priviledge is what I'm reading at the moment - only about a third of the way through it and enjoying it so far x

I love John Grisham - haven't read any of his for ages. I'll have to get some more recent ones x

Hi have you read any PJ Tracy they are very good and another is lyndsey ashforth which are great and she is a british author also John Connolly (Charley Parker) his first book every dead thing takes a bit of getting through as he introduces all the characters in quite a bit of depth but the following books are a lot easier,oh and Mark Billingham.Soz could go on forever my pet subject and don't forget Jeffrey Deaver Lincoln rhymes books. Hope that gives you a few ideas.If you are ever in london there is a brilliant shop near covent garden that only sells crime books.
lorna x

i do go through big ian rankin phases. he reminds me of david jason's frost :D

i even have the odd agatha christie inspector wexford... i'm not proud :)

abz xx

I'm in an Ian Rankin phase at the moment :)

My Gran says she thinks my Dad is like Inspector Frost! He did wear a similar outfit to work before he retired, and is a sarcastic bugger....so I can see what she means! )

Back