Cruising for Eternity

I may be too late in replying to this, Brownie, but if you're really worried, you could always have a Dukan snack before the meal to allay your hunger somewhat and then go easy on the non-Dukan food if that's possible.

Otherwise, you could perhaps scale back a little next week instead if you need to.

Hope it all goes well.

All good advice DD - but it was a big family occassion so I took advantage, don't see everyone that often and there are some good bakers in the family :D

Probably the worst for wear though because of it, had planned a sensible week but am off to Spain for a few days from Thursday, so I'll have to do my best to stay Dukan specific for the duration.

Wondering about the oatbran - if I bake galettes in advance, will they last? Really limited on baggage due to budget airlines!

Wondering about the oatbran - if I bake galettes in advance, will they last? Really limited on baggage due to budget airlines!

Hi I've got the same 'problem' in a few weeks and I've been planning this (I'll be gone for a week - how many days are you gone for?):
Make enough muffins for 2 days, I can eat them travelling / carry in handluggage.
Make 'biscuits' - I still need to decide how many. They are dense so don't take much space and definitely will keep well in an airtight box. And I will probably take some 'loose' oatbran to put into yoghurt etc. It's light and won't take much space - I'll measure it out exactly, and put it in a strong ziploc bag that will just get squashed into the last available space.
OR I might take a 'loaf of bread', but that will need refrigeration after a day or two (esp in Spain) and definitely takes more space than the biscuits.

I'd probably be tempted to opt for the easiest way and measure out the appropriate amount of oatbran into a strong Ziplock bag, as Anja suggested. That way, I could mix it into yoghurt (or even into water, if desperate) and it would be easily portable.

TY Jaqys :)

I only found out I was going last night, so I have no time to plan anything! I think I will take the Ziploc bag option.

I'm going Thursday-Monday and it's carry-on luggage only so I'm incredibly limited for space! I hope we have access to a supermarket!

Whatever happens - have a nice trip!!

I've been trying to work out how to manage oatbran for my holiday coming up and think i'm going to take 4/5 galettes (will eat extra on plane if necessary as 10 hour flight and food is awful) so i'll have one or two for the first couple of days and i'll probably pack a box of biscuits - at least a weeks worth, then take loose oatbran too to stir into yoghurt. Then I can do a spoon for breakfast and a biscuit later in the day. Hopefully that will work, and like you say anja- the biscuits are light and will keep fine in tupperware.

thank god i've now got the kindle and will be saving myself the 4 or 5 kgs books that i might otherwise have taken!

Well... I'm back from my holiday and trying to regroup!

I didn't realise before I left that our apartment would be so well furnished, stove, microwave oven, fridge freezer, virtually every type of cooking device or utensil you would ever need, let alone for a week's holiday!

Once I found that I had such facilities to utilise, I thought eating Dukan-style should be pretty easy and bought a lot of chicken, steak and vegetables to prepare in the apartment. I walked a whole lot every day, so I kept up with the exercise end of things too. However, this was a holiday to somewhere I had never been and despite my best intentions I did decide to take advatnage of some of the things on offer.

Holiday Dukan Do:
  • Galette for breakfast each day
  • Chicken/Steak and mixed vegetable dinners
  • Tons of walking
  • An apple a day
Holiday Dukan Maybes:
  • Fat Free Activia Yoghurts in flavours we don't get in England...
  • ...same yoghurts leaving me as bloated as a beachball for the entire trip because I really need to avoid dairy
  • Wholemeal-looking crusty bread that was way too nice to surely be wholemeal
  • Coca Cola Light
Holiday Dukan Don't:
  • Relying on bottled water, so having to conserve supplies and therefore not drinking anywhere near enough
  • One proper meal out (Joint pizza/lasagne)
  • Tapas - one time.
  • Finding the local shop sold some of the best brownies on Earth
  • Walking past an icecream shop selling Kinder Egg, KitKat and Oreo icecreams and stopping... twice
  • Flight home being delayed for HOURS and getting a Burger King Whopper to avoid starvation amid the tedium of no information of how long the wait would be (and them coming home to find a Dukan-friendly dinner ready and prepared for me!)
  • Not taking advantage of the ocean or the pool due to my horrendous sunburn obtained on day 2!
All in all I did pretty well with some things and terribly with others. However I took into account it was a one-time thing and I didn't want to regret anything.

It didn't help that my holiday partner really kept trying to get me to break the diet the ENTIRE time, adding that certain things are OK because they're 'low in calories' and that 'a few of ----- won't hurt' (to the point of giving me a glass of wine to 'try' despite the fact I don't drink but once a year anyway, I had to pretend to drink it and then pour it away just for some peace and quiet).

Far too terrified for a weigh-in but am back on PP right now!

Glad you had a good time BE and didn't allow yourself to be cajoled into doing anything you didn't want to do! Oreo ice cream - how bloomin' yummy does that sound!!??

Welcome back that sounds GREAT!! In all respects. after all you were fully aware of what you were doing and why, and yes holidays are a special / tricky time in any case, even for non-dieters. But from what you say you did stay in control and I'm sure any potential damage is easily fixed! Shame about your partner :-( that was not helpful.

I hope you enjoyed yourself! Sounds like a great time. I was watching closely as I'm heading out for a sun & sea type holiday in a week's time, however, self-catering with supportive people and with 4 kids in tow we might not eat out so much...

Sounds brilliant. Sorry about the sunburn. Good to have you back, hope the scales are not too unkind.

Thanks for the resume. It's good for us all to think these things out before going on holiday.

It really does sound as if you made some very good choices. I applaud you also for going for the quiet life when your friend was trying to convince you to eat and drink off Dukan. (I tried that, but ended up having to be rude - OH said I should have been VERY rude on day 1 to put an end to it. I might try that this time if just once people start trying to force feed me!)

Definitely drink plenty of water, and don't go near those scales. You'll be surprised at how quickly most excess does vanish once back on PP for a few days.

Glad to have you back :)

Welcome back BE, and thanks for posting. Sounds like you did really well, and I too had a keen ear as my holiday looms in a week and a half. We're going all inclusive but there should be plenty of meat and seafood available. Hope the scales are kind when you get on them!

Thanks for the welcome back everyone :)

Spent the last few days back on PP, really enjoying it, reached Saturday and was feeling a lot slimmer and felt like the bloating was finally going down and getting back to normal.

THEN realised that we had another family evening that I had completely forgotten about. Considered not going to it as I was really feeling a lot better about how I had been doing, and for me the whole weight-loss thing is about how I feel, especially being comfortable and fit (which obviously relates to size) rather than weight.

Thought long and hard all afternoon about it and concluded that if I didn't go I'd be on the verge ofbeing a leper because of my eating habits - which is stupid as I managed really well the past year and went on vacation and countless days and evenings out and stayed Dukan specific the whole time without a single slip up or mishap!
So, I went ahead with the evening out, ate as best I could but well and truly went off track - never realised I had such binge tendencies as I do. Since going onto conso I'm way more tempted and have more cravings than I did on cruise.

So, here I go again: No more family events planned for the future that I know of, a few days and nights out but not for a while and nothing special anyway.

Tomorrow I plan to cruise - not go back to PP right off because I know that just throws you in and out of ketosis anyway, so I'll cruise until I get to feeling a bit more in shape and then see about moving on again.

Not feeling too bad about things, just a little peeved at 'messing up' after all this time!

Anyway thansk for reading everyone I do go for the virtual novelette, don't I?!

don't worry BE, we like a good ramble on here! i wouldn't panic too much about how you're doing - if your stats are right you're still 2lb below target! i know it's more about how you feel, but surely you're trying to consolidate your target, so if you're below that why not just carry on with conso proper?

Oh no, those stats were correct when I started conso and for the first period of it!

I haven't weighed myself since all the slip ups with the holiday and then again on Saturday, I feel like I'm 8lbs over target, I dread to think what I actually am! Again it's only because I feel awful, sluggish, bloated and slow and I bet my specially taken in trousers won't fit me for work today :(

Back