Cruising for Eternity

Don't beat yourself up too much, it's done now. I did the same sort of thing for a fortnight in France, including wine and cheese, but tried always to have a fish option where I could. I waited 2days before weighing myself and went on PP for both days. To my relief I was the same weight as when I left, so the two days stabilised it. But I'm mindful of what the others have said: don't do it too often as it can wreck the diet longer term and make it hard to fool your body.
Also, DD talks about the loose cholesterol that swills around your bloodstream when you are losing weight, extracted from your system in ketosis, so I guess that lapses, especially with fatty stuff, increases that.

Don't be too hard on yourself, Brownie. I found that the cravings and head hunger slowly started to creep up on me again once I'd been in Conso for a little while. I have a bingeing tendency too and I know how difficult it can be to ignore that.

The bloating can make you feel heavier than you actually are. In fact, I was horrified when I looked at my stomach in the mirror the other day after having 2 consecutive carb meal days - I convinced myself that I had put back on loads of weight and felt huge. However, it did get back to normal and my weight had STS.

I'm not sure whether this advice is completely sound, but if I were you, I'd probably leave it another week before weighing myself again and get back to a strict Conso in the meantime. Hopefully, by then, any potential damage might have lessened. Mind you, there is a possibility that you haven't put on as much as you'd feared (again, that's happened to me before). I wouldn't advise leaving it longer than a week as I think it's a bit like falling off a horse and making yourself get back on again - best not to leave it too long, if that makes sense.

As I keep reminding myself, it's all a question of balance. So if you can try to balance out any excesses - but without going back to the strict, carb-free level of Cruise, I think that helps to stabilise. Anja's and Laura's Stab diary is a good source of inspiration for this as they seem to be managing admirably. I sometimes have a quick read through of their joint diary myself if ever I'm feeling a little lost.

Thanks for the responses :)

I think I probably feel worse than maybe someone else because I have both the issue with the dairy making me super-bloated but the added fact that due to the PCOS I probably should avoid sugar full stop - it's just that screws with the idea of a celebration for someone who is a serial dessert addict.

For the time being I am cruising this week and will weigh in on Sunday and see exactly where I am at and how to move on from there. As it is I really like being on cruise, I'm quite happy to just have PV days, with the starch etc.

Right now I am not feeling the desire to bake the entire contents of the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook like I have the past few weeks :D I'm working back into a little more exercise after slacking off the past couple of weeks too, so we'll see how it goes.

Off to London this evening for a gig, I cooked dinner straight after breakfast!

Yesterday: PV

Breakfast: Egg White Omelette
Dinner: Extra Lean Turkey Burgers (home made) with Butternut Squash, Leeks and Spinach
Snack: Galette

Exercise: Decent walk

Right now I am not feeling the desire to bake the entire contents of the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook like I have the past few weeks :D

Oh yes, I know that feeling very well. Damn all of those dessert cookery books I am obsessed with collecting! :eek:;)

Sounds as though you have your cravings under much more control at the moment, though, which is absolutely fantastic.

Who are you going to see at the gig?

BE - lovely to read you, and never apologise for talking at length. It's all the more interesting for us to read!

I am particularly interested to see that you too react the same way as I do when your weight is good (agonise about future food events, almost preferring not to go at all, yet recognising nonetheless that we have to make an attempt at normality at some point). Your regain, excessive no doubt given what you've eaten (or perhaps I misread and you've not weighed in yet, just that you're feeling boated), again is something I suffer from.

As you know, I've failed three times in Conso (yes yes, total failure three times!) and so documenting how difficult it is is very helpful, not only to me but also to new people who also need to see how this diet is a four stage marathon, and not just a sprint in cruise, which is why we try to deter the "normal" weight people.

Thanks for sharing BE... I for one appreciate it tremendously!

We went to see Adam Ant at the indigo2 :D

Jo - I haven't weighed in yet, it's been a couple of weeks. I was avoiding the scaled after my holiday and then when I was back on track I ended up having the OTHER slip up last week with the meal, so I am holding out till Sunday!
When you say you failed with conso, how did you restart?

I am so much more comfortable with the control on cruise.

It may have been a bit more difficult because I don't have the dairy so I don't have anything sweet all week apart from the galette, and then when it comes to the weekend I guess I may have made up for a sweet-free week a little too much with the celebration dessert(s)!
I wonder if it would help if I tried upping the oatbran on occasions as I don't have any milk/yoghurts etc. so I wouldn't be entirely 'sweet-deprived' (how desperate does that sound?!?!?) when it comes to the end of the week? Again I am just pondering and realising I sound like an addict!

Thanks again for reading and if this helps anyone gain insight themselves you are very welcome!

The first time I did it, I'd gone way below my true weight which meant that, as soon as I breathed in the vicinity of a piece of bread, I gained weight. No one else (at the time) mentioned any problems, and so I started eating less and not reintroducing properly... and still gained... and others were having galas and not gaining (or they'd disappeared so I thought I was the only one struggling), and then I lost the plot totally.

By the time, I returned to the diet, I was well into needing a complete restart!

Second time, I did better in that I didn't go as low with Dukan (still lower than true weight mind), got through Conso with a 2K gain perhaps, but then lost it in Stab. Big time.

Third, I pretty much lost it straight away and just ate like a pig!

So there isn't going to be a fourth!

I think part of your problem is your low start weight most likely, and so you found you gained pretty quickly too (and your being unwell was unfortunate of course for your health, but helped with "damage limitation", albeit an unfortunate way!).

We are of course more comfortable with the control in Cruise because of the ketosis factor. Once out of ketosis, we're on our own without our rubber ring and arm bands... and then we need to have sorted things out beforehand, for those of us with eating disorders, which of course few of us have!

The doctor does suggest a second portion of oatbran rather than cracking on something else, but it shouldn't be a regular thing as it affects our mineral and vitamin absorption (and can affect any medication, I think, too?).

Advice? Me? Conso? Nah! Not my cup of tea so I wouldn't try!

Hi BE,

sorry you're having such a hard time of it.

Now I just wanted to add: if you have returned to PV for any length of time after your holiday you're going to see major gains as soon as you have a conso / gala meal or slip up as you've taken all the carbs out of the equasion and your body will react accordingly. And it would appear you react more than most. And you'll see 'start of conso' type gains and fluctuations all over again. I know that you had massive conso gains and I have no explanation to offer for that as I'm no dietician / expert. But if you want to get through this you really need to stick with conso-style eating. Limit it to one fruit and 1 slice of bread a day and no carb or gala meals to start with so you can gauge more clearly what is causing gains or working / not working.

i'm not sure what you're doing right now but if you want a 'fresh' start I'd suggest 2 weeks clear cruising - no 'weekends' in there, and then very very gently going back to conso I as described above. If you find cruise easier then stick with it, by just adding the conso extras one element a week.

I know it's hard to reintroduce freedom and I'm finding it harder and harder to stay on the straight and narrow now that I'm past conso and allowed 'eat anything you like' to quote to good doctor (grrr....)

Sweet cravings - do you like jelly? Remember your one fruit a day too if you are conso-ing, I really savoured mine!

When I'm coming back from my holiday (and after Easter for example) I am expecting a gain, but I'll try first to shed that by doing extra strict conso pre-phase I and not straight PV so as not to take all carbs out again...
Of course once I have stepped on the scales I may becide differently. Personally I do need to weigh, even when it's scary, as that keeps reminding *me* not to overdo it or get too relaxed!

Good luck and keep us posted, we do want you to succeed!!

Adam Ant? I didn't realise that he's still performing. How was he, Brownie. I used to love his music back in the day.

As a confirmed sweet tooth, I've found it necessary to make sure that I have access to Dukan-friendly sweet things at all times. Otherwise, I am likely to give in to a chocolate binge. Speaking of which, I have to remove any chocolate to a safe distance - for instance, I no longer dare to keep a bar on my desk within easy reach (bad, bad idea!) and shut it away in a spare bedroom instead. My logic is that it's far too easy to absentmindedly gorge on chocolate when it's right in front of me, but having to make the effort of going upstairs and into another room gives me breathing space to think about what I'm about to do and stop myself.

I don't know whether that kind of thing might be helpful to you, too?

It does indeed feel like an addiction, Brownie! I wish there were an easy way for us to get rid of the cravings on a permanent basis.

DD - it was a great show! I do like my gigs and as lot heavier than I expected, definitely a faultless performance, although he did fall off the stage at one point :D

I know what you mean about keeping things out of sight and hopefully out of mind... I do try to have things around to resist temptation though, it sounds so absurd but I want to ensure I have some kind of control level, you know?

And Anja - I forgot all about the SF jelly, thanks for reminding me!

I did my weigh in today, I forget the last one but it was a week or so before my holiday, and I now officially weight: 9st 8lbs. Yes, 8lbs over target! And yes, 10lbs over my previous weight!
I honestly cannot believe that my extravagances can have equalled that, but I knew despite my careful days that ultimately it would result in something like this. I had a good idea I was at this weight AGAIN, it's a weight I have plateaued at more than once. It's not a bad weight by any means but honestly I feel awful on it. SO annoyed I have managed to undo everything in time for summer, but I hope I can get back on it and work this out!

Anyway out of interest I have added a picture - this was taken May 8th or something so pre-gain. (I would drad to take anothe rone now in that dress!) I think this looks a pretty decent weight on me, so I am back onto my goal I am clear cruising for the time being.

Oh my goodness, I hope he was okay! Sounds as though he got a little too enthusiastic whilst dancing! Wish I'd been there to see him as it sounds like a great gig.

So sorry to hear about your gain, Brownie. I'm hoping that either Jo or Laura, who have much more experience than me with balancing things back, will be able to offer you some good advice.

I hate to suggest this (and it may turn out to be unnecessary), but it might end up being better to pinpoint a more easily sustained target because I know that this has been a bit of a difficult phase for you so far. In the meantime, sounds like a good idea to see if you can claw back at least some of those pounds, especially if you're unhappy with your current weight.

I really, really hope it works out for you, Brownie. xx

We went to see Adam Ant at the indigo2 :D

Jo - I haven't weighed in yet, it's been a couple of weeks. I was avoiding the scaled after my holiday and then when I was back on track I ended up having the OTHER slip up last week with the meal, so I am holding out till Sunday!
When you say you failed with conso, how did you restart?

I am so much more comfortable with the control on cruise.

It may have been a bit more difficult because I don't have the dairy so I don't have anything sweet all week apart from the galette, and then when it comes to the weekend I guess I may have made up for a sweet-free week a little too much with the celebration dessert(s)!
I wonder if it would help if I tried upping the oatbran on occasions as I don't have any milk/yoghurts etc. so I wouldn't be entirely 'sweet-deprived' (how desperate does that sound?!?!?) when it comes to the end of the week? Again I am just pondering and realising I sound like an addict!

Thanks again for reading and if this helps anyone gain insight themselves you are very welcome!

Ooh, lucky:D. Adam Ant was my first love (when I was about 10) and I make husband sit through his videos on youtube. He doesn't get the attraction for the music or the man.

Sorry that you're struggling a bit, BE. The conso stage affects people differently but hopefully by juggling things you'll find what works well long-term for you.

Maybe the PCOS is making the bloating worse? I don't know if that could be a side-effect? I do get bloating (still) when I overdo carbs, especially bread but don't get bloated with pulses or wholegrains (but then, I mainly have them when I'm cooking, so I control portions more easily too), it's definitely the refined flour that does it for me. I have gone off pasta and wonder if I'm rejecting it because I know that it will make me feel uncomfortable. What I do is have carbs little and often (most days), I never have a whole portion as Dr D recommends - I'll have a tablespoonful of green lentils for ex, rather than having 200gr of pasta - a small amount fills me up a lot more than a huge plateful used to do!

For sweet cravings (still have them but less than before) custard is good for me - I have less than 100 ml if you're worried about the milk intake and that's plenty (hate jelly though). Or rhubarb, or both rhubarb and custard - mainly on boring, white PP days though!

I haven't had huge weight fluctuations (yet) but I have juggled things about for my own comfort. Bread bloated me, so I had rice cakes every other day or sometimes more often instead and will have rice cakes still, or wasa (which is like ryvita).

When I don't have anything 'social' at the weekend, I do 2 x PV (one with cheese or fruit) instead of a PP day, keeping PP for weeks when I've had a gala meal or 3.

As for the weight gain, could be a lot of water and not much real weight gain. I always weighed after a PP day (even on cruise) so I never got the added water weight. Try a weigh-in again after PP day, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Best of luck, BE, hope you can find something that is doable for you while stabilising your weight.

I'm lucky my husband likes the same music as I do - he insisted we get matching t-shirts :D

I like your conso swaps robin, some of those are ones that probably would have benefitted me!

I know there's always a possibility that maybe my 'true' weight is a little higher than my goal, but I feel that due to circumstances (illness being one, enormous diet failure including holiday and those cursed family occasions being the second) that I haven't even really given it a proper shot, you know? I know I had some issues with conso at the beginning with the carbs coming back in, but that seemed for a while to be a fluctuation of a few pounds for a few days at a time, going between a couple of pounds under goal to over goal.

Even though my goal my sound like a low weight I'd like to think I am still young enough and would like to be fit enough to maintain this size not having to resign myself to always being bigger, you know? I don't want to sound self-absorbed (but hey it IS my diary!) but I start to feel that once the resignation of 'always being fat' is there, it's like an excuse to not bother.
Like, I know due to the PCOS I am more inclined to have have weight issues but I don't want to use that as an excuse to gain weight or be overweight when I really don't think that (again at my age or time of life or whatever) that I can never actually be slim and always be overweight or struggling :(

I did upload a picture to the member gallery but I can't find it now :confused: it's from beginning of the month so pre-these 8 or so extra pounds, I think the size suits me well and I know I certainly am not underweight, and I think most everyone would agree it should be a weight that works for me.

The thing is, BE... it's not what I or even you think about your ideal weight, it's what your body thinks!! And if it's too low a weight for your body that you're aiming for, reintroduction will always be difficult.

I do know of someone on my French site who did persist and went low, and did stabilise it "eventually"... but returning to Cruise isn't the way to go. As Robin says, you'd likely have had a big water loss just by sticking to PV all week and not having any starch or gala meal.

This person I mentioned had a few false starts like you, but then decided to ignore the rise on the scale, while sticking to the rules... figuring that she was doing what was intended in conso to the letter. And within two months, things had settled.

Returning to cruise, however, as Anja said above, is setting you back...

But far be it from someone who's doing just the same to try to advise!! :D

I'm so confused about it being to low a weight - at my highest I was never THAT high, and for anyone that's convinced about BMI's it's well within the healthy range - plus at that goal weight, I still have plenty of excess weight on me, so I really I never felt at a low weight. It's also one I maintained easily, easily before for a long time. I just feel so unfit and out of shape, and IDK I just can't stand this space-hopper feeling :(

I would have thought cruise was the best option to lose the extra lbs I gained due to my slip ups? If i've gained 8lbs due to excess bad eating, I'll only maintain that on conso, won't I, rather than lose?

Figured out the picture thing (great going for someone in I.T, right?) realised I look pretty peeved in it - maybe I was pre-empting this subject on day when it was taken :D

Maybe try following Laura's advice at first, Brownie, to see if that works for you? As she says, much of the gain might just turn out to be water weight.

If that doesn't work, then you can have a re-think.

I know that it must feel terribly disheartening for the moment, but hang on in there. xx

Pretty sure this is more than water weight! I do feel strangely sponge-like though (?) so I am sure that I am carrying enough to sustain myself like a camel for a good long while!

Sunday:

B: Omelette
L: Chilli with Courgettes, Tomato and Peppers
D: Sirloin Steak, Roasted Butternut Squash and Spinach
S: Galette

Exercise: Wandered around two bootsales for hours - must have done a good couple of miles!

Monday:

B/L: Omelette and Ham
D: Roast Chicken with Swede, Carrots and Cabbage
S: Galette

Exercise: Decent walk.

Meanwhile a few days have passed... ;) so have you got on the scales yet? You must be back in ketosis now...

Saving that for tomorrow! I've had a bit of a light-headache so I suppose it must be ketosis.

It's funny how gratifying it is to have a simple Dukan meringue!
If and when (well, when, but not to tempt fate) I move back onto conso I must remember that Dukan-friendly sweets, jelly, meringue etc. all still have their place any time I get that undeniable sweet-craving!

Back