Cruising for Eternity

You are 4lbs off like me :) Why are you having to take hormones? I dread the Dr saying I have to have HRT or the like as I cannot take the pill. Just managed to get my thyroid hormones balanced and that was a nightmare :-(

Love your picture. Do you bake them yourself?

Yay Poppy thanks for the response!

I actually did manage to get to my goal (and a little bit below) but regained and am only just losing again, albeit slowly, hence the remaning 4lbs.
I've just started taking them because I have PCOS and the progesterone is supposed to regulate my time of the month.

And yes I bake them - obsessively! If not for me, someone else is always happy to get some. One reason that I ended up on this site in the first place!

Had breakfast out today - went to the beach and had freshly caught fish and seafood, pretty well done I thought... and out for a meal tonight too, but there's a salad bar and a decent choice of grilled steaks/chicken/fish so I should be on safe ground!

Is there a recipe for them or is it a box mix? Would love to make them for the family as they love Oreos. Are you doing cruise again or just healthy eating?

PCOS is not nice and many horrid side effects. I had/have a very mild case of it but them sorting out my thyroid has helped.

So did you manage to get a good Dukan dinner then? I was out all day in London with my older daughter and managed, just, to stay Dukan. Phew *wipes brow*. I avoided all the cakes at the fayre and icre cream and pretty much everything else offered.

It's actually a dessert from the American ice cream restaurant Dairy Queen So Good It's RiDQulous - Dairy Queen

It's two pieces of brownie (or double if you're like me) marshmallow fluff topping, whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, hot chocolate-fudge sauce and a ton of Oreo pieces.

I am on Cruise, so my baking is only put to use for others right now, but the last time I made the brownie earthquake it was spectacular - a giant Oreo-cake made from brownies sandwiched together and filled with all the fluff and stuff :D

And yes, I managed a very Dukan meal yesterday - grilled chicken breast and full advantage of the salad bar. The PCOS tends to make things a little screwy for me, and it's hard to manage because the treatment for it is so divisive.

Well done on sticking to it in London - I went last week on a PP day/night and enviously watched all the revellers with their Burger Kings on the way home!

Back to PP today!

Ok my thighs just expanded at that description! I got carbs through my screen :-O May have to make it for my girls, both got American citizenship and just come back from holiday there. May get them over the missing the USA, that and some homemade pizza which they say is better than anything bought (the charmers).

I had to change my days so I ended up on a PV day for London and I am glad I did. Although I feel very decadant having veggies two days in a row - lol.

Our hormones have a lot to answer for. Dr D mentions them alot in his book and no wonder really. They have such a huge impact on our weight (well that and the Brownie Earthquake!!)

Well that's exactly how it started for me - I lived on and off in the States for a few years (my husband is American) and I came back here and had to try and recreate it all myself, plus all the other things my husband grew up with that you just don't get here.

I had really hoped to get back over there later on this year, but seriously wonder what sort of a hit the diet would take!

Awful side effects from the progesterone at the moment, stuck at home today!

My ex husband is American so lived in New Mexico for 5 years. I love America and although I have been back 20 years now, still hanker a little for the life over there. Mind you not the diet. I was very thin then and not into convenience food at all so I think I was lucky. Since being back though, I have started cooking lots of American food, cinnamon rolls (huge hit and I am now known for them), brownies, pizza. I found a copycats website for recipes and some really do taste like Stove top stuffing etc. Lethal :)

Whereabouts do you live now? I am in good old Suffok as my ex got stationed here and then we separated. Like it now.

TY Jaqys :) I toughed it out and went into work anyway!

Poppy - we're living in Essex, so not too far from you!

In the US we lived in the South and that's a whole different food experience altogether - and all of it wonderful but so completely unhealthy!

For me, I was slim when I lived there too, again I'm not one for convenience food generally, but I never found grocery shopping that easy because the cost of vegetables and fruit is very prohibitive by comparison - who's going to pay $5 for a couple of grapefruits when you can pay less than that for a whole meal at Arbys or wherever!
I would quite often share platters when eating out (due to the outrageous serving sizes) but I did learn a lot about great desserts to excess and yes, cinnamon rolls (I love the ones in a tube!) and especially grew to love Mexican food, too. We had a pool so I had regular exercise, I put that down to maintaining my weight over there.

I miss it a lot and would love to go back - are you ever tempted?

I have tried to explain to people just how expensive fresh fruit and vegetables were. It wasn't until my husband and I visited New York for him to have some surgery that he understood. We went to a store and couldn't find the fruit/veggie aisle so asked. It was tucked away and consisted of some very large red apples (which were disgusting and very floury), some prepared salad with pasta and a couple of bits like onions and carrots. This was in a proper supermarket, not a convenience store. The apples were $5 a lb so about 3 for $10!!

We had a Long John Silvers which served catfish and fries, the closest to fish and chips. We used to go there on all you could eat day :) Mind you I would only be able to eat 2 plates max and got some very funny looks from others when I turned down extra fries!!

I would love to go back, we did consider it a few years back but the older girls were in school and we would have only been able to go over for 1 year and then come back. It was too disruptive for them. Now we have a 3 year old and are quiet settled here now and would hate to be away from the older girls who are settled with their boyfriends and commitments.

After all the food talk I had to make some chocolate muffins with the little one. She decorated them but god they smell good. I said now who can I ask to lick the spoon, bless her she nearly bit my hand off. We are having a tea party tomorrow for her dolls and teddies and have made some mini muffins. I hope teddy is hungry!

Wow, another week another no-update!
Thanks for your last response Poppy - I completely understand what you're saying, most people who have their criticisms of 'fat America' have never spent more than a week at Disneyland or whatever and just haven't seen that side of the way of life when you actually live there!

As for this week: I have been so busy, lots of running around, very little time for anything (including logging on) but still kept to the diet and managed to exercise each night - in London last weekend and think the extreme walking counted as exercise!

Anyway, had my weigh in today after two PP days - 4lbs heavier. AGAIN. So now back to 8lbs from goal. I guess it's just water weight or something hormonal (I guess hormone supplements are prone to do that, after all) I defintely don't feel larger, in fact I thought I looked slimmer today - still disheartening to see a gain though. A stall or a plateau is fine, but another gain is nonsensical.

So along with that I am throwing in 'free' day where I'm going conso, I'm just a little too miffed right now and I figure if I gain after two PP days, what difference if I throw in a conso day?

I should have time to get some real exercise in today though, so all is not lost, just a little relaxation because at the moment my hard work is all for nought :mad:

Brownie, looking at your stats you may be trying to go too low. A BMI of 20-21 is fine and more likely to be sustained.

I personally hold no belief whatsoever in the BMI system so I don't consider that when I look at weight-loss. I look at what weight I maintained previously with ease and the size that I feel comfortable at. My goal is a weight that suited me in the past and it suits me now. I'm not going to stick at a high weight because I'm plateauing, it might seem low in comparison to some goals, but it works for me. I'm currently shot full of hormone supplements which is no doubt screwing with my weight even further.

I did reach my goal a few months ago and went beyond that and maintained it fairly well, give or takea few ups and downs, until I messed up when I was on holiday.

Anyway, had a free day on Thursday. It was nice to back off and not care but I am glad to be back in the regime again and to my two PP days now!

Yesterday:

Not hungry at all yesterday... stuck with lean turkey burgers and oatbran galette.

Exercise: Early morning pilates and then an afternoon where I walked and walked and walked!

Today... in advance:

Breakfast/Lunch: Two Grilled Salmon fillets and king prawns
Dinner: Sticking with fish for today: Basa Fillets
Post-Dinner: Galette

Hello, just catching up.
Am also glad to be back on the straight and narrow.

Hope the hormones are helping in some areas, imagine not the easiest thing to cope with when dieting though.

Hey Jaqys, thanks for the response!

I guess on top of messing around with my weight it's giving me odd moods too! It's even more confusing because I have one doctor prescribing it to me and my GP is telling me I don't need to take it.

Did you slip up by accident or by choice? Hope you didn't fall too far, I know how that is!

Do you think the 5 day will help with the hormones? I only did 3 day on attack so couldn't contemplate 5 whole days on it. Have you tried the more natural remedies that Dr D talks about? We women have it rough!

I'm just thinking because in the book Dr. D notes that the 5/5 plan is the most effective, even if it slows down after a while.
I haven't weighed myself since last week when I was inexplicably 4lbs heavier after my PP days, and since my 'relaxed' day, I am still probably 6lbs from goal - I just wonder if it would kickstart the loss again if I tried a different pattern from the usual 2/2 that I have been on for a while.

I am so in two minds about the hormones with my GP advising against them; but no, I haven't looked into natural remedies. The whole thing is just adding more confusion and I know it's making me retain water-weight so it's harder to know where I am full stop!

You know youre not going to get a jolt of loss at the weight youre at, dont punish yourself too much.

I'm sure Jo has posted that the Dr D has since found that 5/5 isnt that much more effective than 1/1.

With the hormones making you retain water might 5 pv leave you feeling extra bloated?

Best of luck, are the hormones a long term thing? How long before a checkup?

The book he wrote many years ago, yes... which has since, as you know, been updated trillions of times after seeing that, aside from heavily obese people, the 5/5 rhythm does not cause faster weight loss but does cause other potentially serious intestinal problems.

In the good old days, he'd not accept anyone on the French official website with a BMI under 25 either!

Back