Cruising for Eternity

How are you feeling today? Loved the picture of all the USA stuff. My middle daughter loves mac and cheese, the plastic American stuff, luckily can't get it over here or she would be the size of a house!

My friend brought me over some brownies today, luckily I can now eat them as she bakes the best brownies. Still feel guilty eating them though.

Doing OK, thank you :) I never have a temptation towards junk food (or at least the mac and cheese!!!) just sweet things... a US-import shop just opened up here in town and I am doing my best to avoid it!

Had a problem yesteday - lady at work made cookies and whilst I felt absolutely no desire to have one she insisted I try just a bit, and I said no, and she said go on just a bit, so I said no, thanks, I'm OK, so then it starts to look like I have some kind of problem with her, so in turn I felt obligated to 'try a bit' because otherwise it would turn into one of those REALLY awkward moments. So I took a postage stamp-sized piece. And it was good - but not my kind of cookie, so I didn't feel tempted. So I count that a minor slip - it wasn't caving in, which I am counting as a plus so far.

It's funny how offended people get over a refusal of food; people at work seem to get a little shirty over it.

Yesterday:

B: Kipper fillet and spinach
L: Chicken breast and salad...
...and my little piece of cookie
D: Curried turkey breast with cauli and courgette and salad
S: Oatbran with milkpowder

Exercise: Power yoga, failed to have time to walk!

You could try and say you have a gluten intolerance so are trying to exclude it on the advice of your Dr to see if it makes a difference :) But you are right, people do get easily offended and work is the worst place for it. I hardly think she would want to try some lovely Dukan food just because you cooked some chicken chunks!

My daughter informs me we have an American import shop and she is going to get me some Stove Top stuffing so I can do her a full roast dinner. Sounds good to me - lol.

Heh - Stovetop is a treat? Here it is an abomination - at least according to all the grandmas in the family:)

We have the little imported section in the supermarkets where we can get "international" foods - but I never thought of a big company like Kraft foods or Hershey's chocolate being relegated to that type of section in other countries - just goes to show how clueless we can be in the states!

My mind also boggles when I think of how close together all the countries are - when we went on vacation we drove 1100 miles one way to go from here to Hershey, PA (a pilgrimage to the land of chocolate while on Dukan) - which is about the distance from London to Madrid on my maps - which sounds like a much better drive!

I love Stovetop stuffing, soo good and there is nothing similar over here. We have sage and onion paxo stuffing, which is great, but nice to have something different. We get things like Oreo cookies over here and oddments, but mostly it seems to be Polish food taking over (well over this part anyway).

We drove from New York City to Florida then onto New Mexico in a week. That was way too many miles of nothing at times. Easy to forget just how big America is. Over here I complain about driving 5 miles to the supermarket of my choice!

I have already used that excuse a few times; it's partially true because I have recently become intolerant to a few different foods so I am actually keeping somewhat of a food diary to try to keep track. BUT in that situation I had already turned down cakes from her the day before and samosas the day before that, and when it was 'just try a piece' it started to look like I was just being rude!

I have never tried Stovetop but I know what good US-style stuffing is like and I love it!

Sanders - I lived off and on in the US for a few years, my husband is American and I do keep up my fair share of home-cooking. US imports shops are becoming more popular as people realise how awesome Lucky Charms are :D

Whenever the time comes for a celebration meal I am desperate for some cornbread!

Just had my weeekly weigh in - had reasonable hopes for this one as I woke up feeling and looking slimmer - but the scales say 9st 11lbs, same as last week; so it's not a failt but it's definitely not an achievement!

Yesterday:

B: Kipper fillet
L: Egg whites - yes, just a lonely bowl of white!
D: Smoked haddock fillet and salmon fillet
S: A little grilled turkey breast
S: Cinnamon oatbran galette

Exercise: Yoga, moderate walk.

Trying to decide on dinner tonight, burgers or chilli - I want some red meat!

Last edited:
It'll come off - don't lose heart. You had quite a bit of salty food yesterday - kippers and smoked haddock, may be a factor :)Xx

I hope it will eventually - I changed my goal to a slightly higher one. I'm happier with 9st but for now it looks a bit too far off. I have been so up and down I think this last 7lbs is going to be a real pain!

About the fish - that's a really good point actually. I know the salt content can cause stalling and I wondered if I might have been overdoing it.

Just made my husband a breakfast stack of pancakes, syrup and bacon - left the room to resist temptation!

Yesterday:

B: Grilled salmon and garlic mushrooms
L: Chicken breast and spinach
D: Steak chilli with everything!

S: Oatbran galette cakey thing

Exercise: Walk, yoga.

Weighed in today after a PV day (usually a big no-no for me) - 1 1/2lb down!

Yesterday:

B: Chicken and spinach
L: McDonalds... Grilled chicken salad!
D: Grilled Chicken and spinach with red pepper sauce

S: Oatbran cake

Exercise: All afternoon shopping, yoga, and a moderate walk, too!

Good to see you're still posting BE, and I for one am enjoying reading about your feelings and thoughts.

Like you, I have a big problem with introducing "labelled by Dukan as bad foods" but am again back from holiday very bloated and feeling fat having outgrown my office wardrobe!) BUT I'm refusing myself the crutch of ketosis. Not only does it make it too "easy" to lose the water weight, and encourage me to do the same again ad nauseum (been there, done it numerous times), but the constant "deprivation" probably isn't helping with my reactions to food when it's available and I've made the decision to EAT (intentional capitals).

So, again, I'm doing the 2 x PPs just to get my head back into gear, and then will plod on with PV + fruit, and weekend treats, and bring the weight down slower... but hopefully in a more (mind at least) healthy fashion.

Here's hoping...

(If we could only buy Hershey chocolate, I'd never eat chocolate again - euw!! those kisses are foul!)

Jo,

I agree about the deprivation aspect. It seems to be too much of a 'hit' when I finally got into the celebration swing of things... however for me to lose and get back to a reasonable goal, I have to be on Cruise to get there and even this is slow enough.

What I wonder might benefit me is if I have one meal a week - almost like a dummies celebration meal - where I add in something Conso-ish, like a piece of fruit, or cheese or bread or a starch like beans, or one of the disallowed vegetables, one of those 'allowed' extras that resembles a 'treat' (I know, it sounds like I'm training a dog here) without actually being something that will drive me into that kind of carb-head frenzy.

I wonder if that might simulate the pattern of a celebration without really being anything fatty or calorific enough to seriously interfere with what I have left to lose. Along those lines I have started adding milk powder in a couple of times a week to my galette, as I am still on dairy-free, I find that ANY milk or yoghurt seriously gives me stomach problems, but the milk powder I seem to be OK with - and it almost serves as a cheaty little extra, too.

I know I am over analysing this to a great extent but I want this to work.

On another note, I had an appointment this week re my PCOS and was given a leaflet informing me of the necessary diet PCOS sufferers are advised to follow for their health and dietary reasons, all in reference to bloog sugar levels, insulin resistance, possible diabetes and so forth:

Whole grains and whole meal only based produce, lean protein, fruit and vegetables. Avoid sugar.

I was so pleased when I read that - I thought it may as well have flat out said 'follow the Dukan diet'. That whole thing reinforces for me that starting Dukan was definitely the right thing for me to do - hey it's actually a medically advised diet! - and it clearly needs to be long term for me, for health reasons and for potential future problems too, aside from a desire to just be slimmer; I just need to work out how to manage it properly.

Yesterday:

B: Salmon fillet and spinach
L: Chicken and salad
D: Chicken curry (surprisingly successful) and mixed vegetables - mushroom, marrow, courgette and spinach.
S: Oatbran galette w/milk powder

Exercise: Moderate walk.

Out of curiosity... if you have something un-Dukan, is it worse to go higher sugar or higher fat? What would it be less damaging to have, a piece of cheese (higher fat) or a piece of pineapple (higher sugar), for example?

Oh and about the Hersheys - I just don't think of it as chocolate. It's like a new, magical substance that doesn't quite fit into any known food group - but I love it!

Last edited:
BE, I'd go higher fat every time (because Atkins is high fat) if you're in ketosis but everything in moderation if you're not, so I'd have both the fruit and the cheese (and do, just not today).

Your post is really interesting with regards to PCOS. I have done some reading too and am convinced that low-carb (not as low as Dukan though) for life is the way to go for helping alieviate/prevent lots of nasties. My particular want-to-avoid illness is diabetes (lots of it in the family) and if low-carb + sensible weight can prevent that, then I'm happy to be (ever so slightly) deprived from now on.

Yeah the fat vs. sugar (particularly when you're asking about fructose, rather) is an awkward question because, as Robin says, if in ketosis it's best to go high fat. But I lost 11 stone eating unlimited fruit so I would still prefer the fruit to the fat and am sure my arteries would too!

I enjoy reading your thoughts.
x

still rowing along...?

Yes, rowing along after a very busy weekend and start to the working week, too... thanks for keeping my diary alive, I looked on the second page and wondered where it has gone :D

Currently MAINTAINING at 9st 10lbs, going to shift things up a bit and go back to two PV/PP, but I am under no illusions that this will be anything other than slow - however I am feeling a a bit slimmer and I believe I look it too, clothes fit a bit more comfortably again at the moment anyway.

I made steak burgers on the weekend and added 1oz cheese - thought that wasn't an unreasonable addition, was a nice extra (considering the context of the meal, otherwise I couldn't give afig about a piece of cheese) and it certainly didn't give me the insatiable desire to eat mre.

Lovely lady at work made me a box of muffins yesterday :eek:

Yesterday:

B: Salmon fillet
L: Grilled turkey breast
D: Steak burgers
S: Oatbran galette

Exercise: Yoga, long walk.

Weighed in today - 1lb down for now!

Yesterday:

L: Roast chicken and salad
D: Indian spiced turkeyand mixed vegetables

S: Oatbran cake with whole egg.

Exercise: Yoga, moderate walk.

Just realised I messed up my plan for two PV/PP - due out for a birthday meal (chicken salad only!) and mixed the days up and now have to switch to one PP.

Gastroenterologist advised me today that I have IBS, hence some of the problems I am having with different foods at the moment and problems with maintaining over the last few months.

Yesterday:

L: Grilled turkey and salad
D: Turkey, tomato and pepper salsa, courget and spinach

S: Oatbran galette cake type thing.

Exercise: Yoga, walking.

My Mum suffered with IBS. Which Dukan foods are causing you problems specifically? (as I remember her issues being more fruit + veg oriented which aren't too much of an issue for us here). Are you going to be medicated?

I'm still doing things MY WAY (humming along...), and the holiday weight is coming off nicely, but I'll soon get to the weight my body likes to stick at and then I'll have mind problems. Right now, I'm happy with how things are going, and (almost with) how I look if I'm honest, just the numbers on the boards aren't going my way - and my winter wardrobe is too small I fear!

Offward we go...

Back