Curves 30 min fitness center...

BrittW

Timelord
Does anyone go to one of these?

I know i need to start exercising cause i want to tone up as i'm loosing weight but i HATE normal gyms.
I always get stared at, always get picked on and it's like being in the playground.
(Although - you'd think if the skinny people saw someone like me in a gym they'd think "Cool, she's doing something about her weight rather than eating herself into an early grave" but no they think "fat girl in gym - lets laugh and make her not want to come back and eat herself into an early grave")

But there ya go. Anyway, when i lived in Basingstoke my friend went to a Curves and said it was really good. There is one in my town and just down the road from my boyfriends house so it's close, but i don't want to go and feel like i do in every other gym. The website looks promising but i thought i'd ask if anyone here goes or have ever gone to one of them...

Thanks in advance xxxxx

Hi Brittany,

I dont go, but a mate of mine goes and it seems to work for her too. I cant afford things like this at the mo, so just stick to Badminton, jive and the Wii Fit!!! Lol

Hi there,
I joined curves @ the beginning of the yr.
If you live in Maidstone is it the one along from the chequers, at the back of Sainsburys?
If so thats where i joined, i did enjoy it but i have given up now.
The atmosphere is great in there, its a 30min work out you spend 30 seconds on each piece of equipment then move on to the next. I think you end up going round about 2 and a half times.
You have to go 3 times a week but can go more if you like.
They weigh you once a month and measure you.
Obviously you're going to lose cos your following SW , its more about toning i think than anything. Which we all need to do.
I would really think about it before you join because it is quite expensive! You have to pay a joining fee and it cost me about £30 a month and you have a clause where you have to belong to it for a certain amount of time before you can cancel your contract.
You may not wish to cancel which is all well and good but i just want to warn you.
I too know how you feel about regular gyms, but you get so much more for your money, swimming, classes, sauna's...
Just think carefully before you join. It's a great atmosphere really friendly people but quite expensive for what you're getting...
I now do my wii fit reguarly so it saves me a lot of money.
I do intend to join a regular gym when i have lost a bit more weight.

xxx

Hey Laurie,

Yeah it's the one by Sainsburys... Where are you from?
xxx

i live in Sittingbourne, @ the top of detling hill really...
so wasnt too far for me to go!
i used to go @ night mainly cos sainsbury's car park is free ;)

Haha yeah, well my boyfriend lives just off sittingbourne rd so it's quite close for me to get there before i go to his etc...
Ah that's close, i live in Maidstone town centre - we should meet for coffee or something one day!!
I've got in induction booked tonight so i'll let you know how i get on xxx

yes definitely would be nice!
good luck tonight, it'll prob be an american man cant remember his name or there's a lady called Jan.
make sure you really think it over b4 putting pen to paper.
xxx

Lol, well i joined up there 2 years ago but never went. I had to move to Basingstoke and didn't bother getting a transfer as everything was up in the air.
When i called, because my name is quite unique, the american guy remembered me and i was very embarassed lol. I felt like i was going back with my tail between my legs lol. But i do want to give it a go, can stand swimming or aerobic classes etc and this seems a good option for me, i may as well give it a go.
To be fair £30 a month is affordable for me at the moment...
If it gets to a struggle i'll have to think about it.

Do you work near Maidstone? xx

Hi there,
I joined curves @ the beginning of the yr.
If you live in Maidstone is it the one along from the chequers, at the back of Sainsburys?
If so thats where i joined, i did enjoy it but i have given up now.
The atmosphere is great in there, its a 30min work out you spend 30 seconds on each piece of equipment then move on to the next. I think you end up going round about 2 and a half times.
You have to go 3 times a week but can go more if you like.
They weigh you once a month and measure you.
Obviously you're going to lose cos your following SW , its more about toning i think than anything. Which we all need to do.
I would really think about it before you join because it is quite expensive! You have to pay a joining fee and it cost me about £30 a month and you have a clause where you have to belong to it for a certain amount of time before you can cancel your contract.
You may not wish to cancel which is all well and good but i just want to warn you.
I too know how you feel about regular gyms, but you get so much more for your money, swimming, classes, sauna's...
Just think carefully before you join. It's a great atmosphere really friendly people but quite expensive for what you're getting...
I now do my wii fit reguarly so it saves me a lot of money.
I do intend to join a regular gym when i have lost a bit more weight.

xxx

I was thinking of joining the one near where I work and going at lunchtimes, and seeing as I only work 3 days a week then I'd definitely get at least 3 days in and can go to another one near my home at weekends. But I was wondering if you have to 'book in' for a session or can you just show up to do the circuit whenever you want? Presumably they have to be on some sort of timetable if it's a 30 min workout?

Also, do they work out what level you should be training at and the heaviness of the weights, etc?

He he...my Wii Fit is still in the box!!! Ive had it for about 2 months now...we had a new carpet fitted so Hubby didnt want to get it out of the box! Lol...Ive been so busy that I just havent had the time to do it!!! Lol

But I was wondering if you have to 'book in' for a session or can you just show up to do the circuit whenever you want? Presumably they have to be on some sort of timetable if it's a 30 min workout?

Also, do they work out what level you should be training at and the heaviness of the weights, etc?

Hey hun,

from what i saw when i went for my trial 2 years ago, you don't need to book, you just show up as there are machines and stations in a circle and you just join the circle and everyone keeps going round... xx

I was thinking of joining the one near where I work and going at lunchtimes, and seeing as I only work 3 days a week then I'd definitely get at least 3 days in and can go to another one near my home at weekends. But I was wondering if you have to 'book in' for a session or can you just show up to do the circuit whenever you want? Presumably they have to be on some sort of timetable if it's a 30 min workout?

I think you can go to different curves as long as your a member. You have to go at least 3 times a week. You dont have to book a slot, just turn up. They do get busy @ lunch times but there are lots of stations so there's always someone coming to an end of their workout. You work your way around the circle once you've been on a piece of equipment your next station will be dancing on the spot of kicking your legs.
I forgot to say before that whilst you're going around you do at least 1 heart rate count. there's a chart on the wall that you have to look @ to see where you are!

Back