Daft jacket potato question

fleur

If you cook say 4 jacket potatoes in the oven so that you can take them to work to zap in the microwave at work at lunchtime, how long do they keep in the fridge?

I should know this stuff - but I don't. :eek:

What would a potato cooked on Sunday be like by Thursday lunchtime (if kept in the fridge in the meantime)? Would it still be okay?

I often cook more jackets than I need & keep in the fridge until needed. I say Thursday's would be fine.

mmm. Don't know. Four days might be pushing it? With most things I kinda have a three day trule of thumb, so if cooked on a Sunday afternoon, I would be aiming to eat it by the end of Tuesday, but certainly no later that the Wednesday lunchtime...but that's just me!

"I should know this stuff - but I don't. :eek:"
....who says you have to!? lol

If you look at the date of the prepacked cooked jackets they usually have a shelf life of at least 4/5 days and they are probably a couple of days old when they reach the supermarket. Jackets wouldn't particularly go off quickly but they may dry out a bit x

Probably by thursday they wouldnt taste as good but wouldnt do you any harm I would have thought. Vegetables are not like chicken etc which develops bacteria. Hope that helps!

Thanks to all of you :)

I'll give it a whirl and report back, LOL.

LOL, it never even occurred to me to freeze them... :D

Can you really do that? :doh:

I do this regularly. Cook them in oven, let them cool and fridge them in their foil. Microwave when needed, or oven again for ten mins if I'm at home.
Mine last mon to fri. My fridge is 3 degrees, 4 is the highest it should be. As long as your fridge is cold enough, then they should keep well.

im glad i went onto this post so Fleur thanks for originally posting it :) I buy baking potatoes alot but i find i end up dumping them as I am the only one who eats them at home. So now i know i can cook, fridge and reheat in oven (as i don't use microwaves) i doubt there will be any unwanted baked potatoes in my home from now on :):)

Back