Danger of alcohol when in ketosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlight

Gold Member
Post copied from CW Counsellors original post in the thread below

DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE KETOTIC!
Alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. In fact, it forces part of the gluconeogenic metabolic process into reverse. This means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will inevitably cause the blood glucose level to fall. Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel.
A person who is ketotic is 100% reliant on gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood. If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.
Alcohol does not have these effects if the glycogen stores in the liver are normal. Under these circumstances the blood glucose level in the blood is maintained by the breakdown of liver glycogen, a process that is not influenced by alcohol. If a person becomes confused under these circumstances it is due simply to the pharmacological effects of the alcohol!

http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-d...ation/26311-dangers-alcohol-when-ketosis.html

Thanks for this, I have a function coming up towards the end of Feb, I think I will gently knock myself out of ketosis the day before without gorging, eat a sensible meal on the day as well before going out in the evening. Do you think that will be ok?

There is no point me saying I won't drink when I go there because I will and I would rather not be poorly! I won't have a lot, I never do but I am not going to take the risk with even one teeny drink whilst in KT. Just gutted have to get back into it after, oh well, life happens and all part of the learning curve :)

"Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel. "

Well dug up info, but I happen to disagree, alcohol does not 'stop' ketone body production, it just halts it momentarily whilst the alchohol is being used as fuel. I know it sounds the same, but 'stopping' ketone body production would imply that the process needs time (days?) to restart again, when in fact it doesn't.

I don't deny that the other risks listed (i.e. feeling more drunk/not being in control) are in fact real, but if you stay within your limits, and limit yourself to low-carb drinks such as vodka, this won't ruin your weight loss, it will contiune as normal after the alcohol has left your system.

I think a worse problem to worry about is that the majority of hand-held breathalyzer machines in the UK can't tell the difference between ethanol (that's in booze) and isopropanol (which is in our breath whilst in ketosis). The legal drive limit is 35micrograms per 100ml of breath, people in ketosis can give a reading of anywhere up to 12mg/100ml, so an innocent one drink can push someone over the drink-drive limit.

Obviously if you were to get arrested, demand a blood sample to show that your BAC is under the limit, but nonetheless, no-one wants that embarassment! Apparently a binge on carbs can reduce this isopropanol such as mints etc that could be in your car.

First hand experience with mixing alcohol & ketosis was fine, my weight loss contiuned and (within my limits) I wasn't otherwise effected by alcohol. Spacing drinks out was key, but difficult as I was having vodka and soda water, so it tends to go down quite quickly.

What is a safe way to knock yourself out of ketosis, prior to a night out, that you know you will be drinking at then ?
(Its not for another 2 weeks, but I am just getting prepared ;))
Thanks
Marge
:)

I thought that I had eaten enough carbs but had an terrible night because I was still in ketosis! (i put a thread on main forum)

Someone said that you can refeed for a week and there is a thread about it on the LL forum - good luck
Emms

I agree with starlight - everybody's different but how do you know when your knocked out of ketosis?
I ate for 2 days before - not a huge amount but pasta one day and a fast food burger before going out and party food at the beginning of the night but 3 drinks in was the most drunk I have ever been and blacked out! I normally could drink twice that amount and although I would be drunk I would still be in control!!!
I think i Will do WS for a week and then carbs on the day for any further nights and take it really slow and steady!
Emms

I had thought about having a low carb meal, for 2 or 3 days prior to my night out.
Then on the day of my night out, maybe beans on toast, or a sandwich for lunch, and a tuna pasta salad thing for dinner.
I am not sure if this will be enough to knock me out of ketosis to be honest.
But I will give that a try, and drink plenty of water/soft drinks inbetween alcoholic drinks.
Marge

This is about the only time I use ketostix... Im not sure how much I trust them but almost as soon as I have carbs etc and check Im out - according to the sticks... might be worth checking them

Yes, I will do:)
I have used a few... the sticks say I am in ketosis... and I have no hunger ect.
I will check the day previous to my night out.... Then after I have eaten on the day of my night out. Then I know where I am, if you know what I mean
Marge

The sticks don't seem to work for me - more often than not I get a negative when I know I must be if I have been 100% and am not hungry at all!!!
;-)

a friend of a friend was on a total food replacement diet and after being on it for months celebrated something with a curry and bottle of wine she ended up in ITU so that does go to show how bad it can be

its my birthday in a couple of months and i will probably drink and eat...i was wondering how long should i be eating before drinking?

I agree with starlight - everybody's different but how do you know when your knocked out of ketosis?
I ate for 2 days before - not a huge amount but pasta one day and a fast food burger before going out and party food at the beginning of the night but 3 drinks in was the most drunk I have ever been and blacked out! I normally could drink twice that amount and although I would be drunk I would still be in control!!!
I think i Will do WS for a week and then carbs on the day for any further nights and take it really slow and steady!
Emms

Do you think that apart from ketosis the fact that you hadn't had alcohol for a while may of been the cause why you got drunk more quickly?
I hardly ever drink alcohol, only on special occasions hence I usually feel flushed and light headed after only one drink....may just be me though..:)

Crikey, I won't be drinking again till I'm back on food!
Got to the pub last week, thought i'd stick to vodka and coke zero...one hour later and i'm fast asleep (or maybe passed out) spreadeagled, face down on the roof of my car, right outside the pub! Will I ever live it down!
And the hangover! Eek, never again! Just read the sticky on alcohol up there...i see now!!!:sigh:

Also glad i read this. Got a friends birthday night out next Sat. Going to invest in some ketostix just to be sure i'm not going to making myself ill x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back