Dauphinoise potatoes

I'm afraid I don't know about alternatives to cream in dauphinoise potatoes, but a few months back Britmum posted a recipe for Potato Gratin which might be an acceptable alternative :)

Potato Gratin
this side dish is really yummy. Will go great with any meat or vegetarian dish.

Serves 4
Just two HEa portions of cheese for the entire recipe on green or extra easy

Ingredients
1 garlic clove
4 large baking potatoes - peeled
56g of parmesan cheese (grated)
600ml of chicken stock
salt and black pepper to season

Method

Preheat the oven to 200c or 400f

Chop the garlic clove in half and rub over the base and sides of a oven proof dish.

Slice the potatoes and arrange half of them in the dish. Sprinkle with a half of the parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper. Pour over half of the stock.

Add the other half of potatoes and top with the remaining cheese, then pour over the rest of the stock and season with salt and pepper.
Bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. The top should be a golden brown colour.

SW Dauphinoise, now that would be heaven.

Had a portion last night while eating out - 70 syns you reckon? :eek::eek::eek:

Awesome, thanks guys.

I don't know if it will be 70 syns per portion...just the cream I'd need to add for the recipe I've used before would add up to 70.

Although if you look at some of the shop bought stuff the syns aren't THAT bad (the ones I saw ranged from 6 to 24 for a serving).

Kirsty

Tesco Finest, Potato Dauphinoise, chilled 450g pack[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
extraeasy.gif
24½ Syns on Extra Easy
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I'm afraid I don't know about alternatives to cream in dauphinoise potatoes, but a few months back Britmum posted a recipe for Potato Gratin which might be an acceptable alternative :)

Potato Gratin
this side dish is really yummy. Will go great with any meat or vegetarian dish.

Serves 4
Just two HEa portions of cheese for the entire recipe on green or extra easy

Ingredients
1 garlic clove
4 large baking potatoes - peeled
56g of parmesan cheese (grated)
600ml of chicken stock
salt and black pepper to season

Method
Preheat the oven to 200c or 400f

Chop the garlic clove in half and rub over the base and sides of a oven proof dish.

Slice the potatoes and arrange half of them in the dish. Sprinkle with a half of the parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper. Pour over half of the stock.

Add the other half of potatoes and top with the remaining cheese, then pour over the rest of the stock and season with salt and pepper.
Bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. The top should be a golden brown colour.

Oh they look delicious :D

I made a potato bake last week, was hoping it'd be something like dauphinoise but it turned out like dry potatoes with an omelette on top? Beware of the potatoe bake recipes with egg! Might have to try this one next! :)

Found this recipe on here (I think!) which I am trying at the weekend:

Potato, cheese and onion bake

2lbs/908g floury potatoes (king edwards/maris piper)
2 red onions
a bunch of spring onions
6oz/170g mozzarella
fresh dill
1/2 pt/284ml Skimmed milk
6oz/170g quark

Pre heat oven to 200 degrees/gas mark 6
Peel potatoes, slice red onion, chop the spring onions, slice mozzarella and chop dill.
Par boil potatoes for 5 min, drain, leave to cool and then slice.
Heat fry light in a pan and gently fry red onions and spring onions until slightly soft.
Arrange slices of potatoes and onions in a gratin dish.
In a jug, mix milk, quark and dill, season and pour over potato. Top with sliced mozzarella and bake for 40mins.

Serves 4

Syns 1 per serving (add 6 if not using cheese as hex)

Low syn daauphinoise

Hi Ladies,

We make all the time a lovely recipe that is just like dauphinoise.

- Slice raw pots and layer in a dish
- mix together 1/2 pint of stock, 2 garlic cloves crushed, and some half fat creme fraiche.
- add some salt, pepper and herbs.

Bake in an oven for around 45 mins on a medium heat, and hey presto!!

Yummy!!!! The only syns is the creme fraiche and its quite low.

ooh yum I need to try the creme fraiche one, sounds lush :D

Ooo that philly one looks yum! Good idea for cutting out the butter and making it SW friendly. Might have to try that!

Great idea using philly, i am not a lover of creme fraiche or quark, as i am not really keen on yogurts or similar tasting dairies, so i will give that a try, thanks!!

Back