de-cluttering the home, as well as body & mind

Big test for me today as I am NOT feeling motivated at all-do I fight it and hope I feel better once I get going or give into it,sit on my bum and then feel guilty ?
Watch this space I guess !!

I do a lot of sitting on my bum, but break it up with 15 mins busyness so have a chance at saying I have done something. You dont have to do it all, just a bit. Then sit on your bum. sitting is very under rated, plan to do a whole lot of it and a little work over the weekend. sometimes you just have to xx

Afternoon all:)
Going well on day four - living room, conservatory and kitchen done:D. Just the hall to do and carry the boxes upstairs and whole ground floor done. Unfortunately can barely get into the guest room/study now as full of boxes to be sorted/organised/put away. Oops;)

Having a cup of tea and trying to work up the strength to tackle the hall since it's pouring with rain anyway....
Happy clearing
Xx

Well I did a bit out in the garden,bagged up some of the rubbish.

Took the girlies out this afternoon to get some new school shoes and other bits of uniforms they need so feel i have achieved something useful

You speak the truth Clara....sitting is very much under rated! Nice idea with the 15min bursts....a good compromise.

Sounds like you are having a proper blitz there Katie...good stuff! Very impressive.

I know what u mean Jane about visitors having somewhere half decent to 'go'....I got so mortified when I has visitors, that I finally had to tackle the job. Altho, stalled a bit today, have a back injury that flares up regularly...and am not fit for much today, but hopefully can resume tomo!

Morning all:)

OK 5 days of approx 2-3 hours each and all done:D. It is now possible to walk around in all the downstairs rooms, i can see beautiful empty surfaces and find things in the drawers:) There is definitely a sense of "lightness" now. Lots of challenges left - especially with the "dump" guest room/study but i can live with that.

A huge thank you to everyone on this thread - first for inspiring me in the first place and then keeping me going this week - i've found it pretty hard to knuckle down to it but worth all the effort.

Next steps after holidays....maintain downstairs and start on DDs room (outrageously huge job but has to be done!)

Onwards to sparkly clean space folks:D

Well done Katie. It's a fab feeling when it starts coming together. Spray painted a picture frame today which I want to make a notice board out of for the kitchen. Will finish this tomorrow.

Also going to have a spritz up as people are coming on Sunday. Planning to clean paint off the kitchen floor that the painters left. Night mare of a task, so a couple of tiles at a time. That and tackle mount washmore :)

Keep spreading the sparkle ladies xx

I am yet to catch up but looks like everyone is doing great! I can't read alot when my daughters up , she'll sahout 'fingers!' if i'm typing, telling me off lol.

I'm having a front garden week this week: so far the hedges have been cut, and I've planted out flowers, been deadheading and collecting seeds - got rid of my huge curry plant as I couldnt stand the smell of it on wet days - am left with a black bag problem again though :/

Still to do: ongoing removal of plants and flowers/poppies from wild garden, really good sweep, brush and clear - weeding
Plan what changes I want to make - nned hanging basket lowered as I can't reach and its been neglected since it went up 4 years ago! Clean up bird table and maybe get rid of wishing well planter as its awful really!

I've also started a winter cupboard stock up! For the next couple of months I'm going to stock up as much as I can to see us over the winter in basic food so will leave extra cash over Christmas.

Ooh and got a question if anyone knows: what's the difference really between biological and non bio and is it ok for a 2 year old? I changed to Surf liquid which is biological, I bought £15 worth of the stuff so hoping it's ok!!

Busy gardening there Rowan. No idea on the washing powder. I have always used a bio one, and I have fairly sensitive skin and it is ok for me.

Collage making this morning for me and doing nowt which is lovely.

Is that you on your profile pic ? Looks fab x

It's all to do with the chemicals in them. Non bio is better for us and the enviroment, Bio ones clean better. I used to havbe to use non bio for my daughter cos she has excema but she has mostly grown out of it so I use bio again now .

Been away on an ickle camping trip so nothing happened here-appart from we have messed it up again by piling camping equipement everywhere-but it was fun and I kept the tent very tidy LOL

Im allergic to bio...but also everything else lol:). My only suggestion for anyone is pay attention whenever you change brand/type of washing liquid, soap, shampoo, etc if you ever get strange symptoms - what did you change? I once had these wierd teeny blisters on my fingers and finally figured out it was the colour in my shampoo sigh!

Im on hols now and away from home - nice both to not have any clearing chores but also nice to know that when we get back the house will look nice:)

Lol re the camping gear - that's 50% of the junk in the guest room...but it was fun;)
Onwards to sparkledom:D

I think I've made a big mistake cos I get contact dermatitus (those little blisters youre referring to!) on the palms of my hands, I'm just hoping I'll be fine cos I bought 2 really big bottles of it - I just fancied a change and thought I would be saving money from using non-bio washing powder plus conditioner and also would keep the washer cleaner ... I thought just using liquid instead of powder would mean I could get away with no conditioner ... I didnt realise it was BIO till after I had got it, but must admit the washing has come out alot cleaner, I can tell on my daughters socks and so far (havnt done towels yet) seems like I dont need fabric conditioner, but doesnt smell as nice even though the blurb for it would have you think its fabulous!
Will see how we get on with it :)

I havnt done anything today as we took dd out for the day and i am really tired from it.
weather permitting we'll be out in the garden tomorrow.

Oh must tell you, yesterday when i went into get my daughter her bed was made - i put it down to a fluke, but this morning she had done it again!!! She's 2 and she's making her own bed before I go in her room! It'll be because I have been making it properly lately, she'll be copying me :D

ps yeh thats me on my piccy thing lol. i'm lying down and am generally pretty pale but i think thats making me look a bit paler than normal!

I've managed to keep the house clean and tidy (bar the spare room as haven't tackled that yet!) for a few weeks now, it feels so good, I don't panic if someone knocks at the door now, we were lying on the beach the other day and my hubby said to me "isn't it good knowing we're going back to a lovely tidy house", I felt really chuffed x

Aww Rowan, bless your little daughter how cute is that. Good habits rub off it seems. Shame we didn't pick up enough as we were going along. Hope the liquid works out, expensive mistake otherwise.

Fab picture, I love the slightly over exposed look as it makes skin look fabulous and very 1950's. Glamerous or what !

I am a fairy liquid girl as well, especially as they do an orange one.

Major home blessing today. Have let things slip this week and yesterday had a do nothing day. On a positive note, bath already cleaned, bed made and first load of washing on. Just coming to myself before I start.

Spreading the sparkle ladies xx

Today for us will be getting all the camping stuff back into the loft.

need a quick tidy around and hoover ( what my nan used to call a 'catlick and a promise') cos in laws coming for tea. FIL is goin to help hubby with a job in the garden.

Tomorrow I am going to hit this place........hard !!!

After dinner it's 'Mission nice front garden' today

*transfer begonias down path
*collect seeds and thin out flowers
*sweep and bin
*clean windows and sills, door etc

I'll have to find a job for dd to do, maybe give her some wipes and ask her to clean the walls, that should keep her busy lol.

edit: the heavens opened :(

new plans: sort and tidy kitchen up

Last edited:
You could give your DD a paint brush and a small pot of water and she can wash/paint the walls, doors etc.

The kids I work with love this and spend ages engrossed in it, shame about the weather x

Hey all,

Regarding the bio washing stuff...it's the enzymes in it that sometimes cause the problems...I have a big sensitivity to it but have started to try and reintroduce bio to see if things have changed any, and there's certain ones I can use..it's trial and error really.

This is the most inspiring thread! Everyone is going great guns...super stuff, keep it all going.

I got the bathroom finished today!! Am delighted! New blind up, a few bits from ikea for a bit of new sparkle :) am delighted. It's so nice to be getting things done little by little.

I had visitors staying this weekend and had stuff on Friday and Saturday.....so I had to have the house fairly respectable by thursday. Got it sorted...and to be honest it has been the nicest thing to spend time in my own house and it's clean!! Esp today, as I'm a shade hungover..and sofa bound!!

Another thing u could try rowan, as well as the paintbrush and water idea (which is v cool) is some chalk and she could draw and colour in the path.

Happy cleaning all!!

Struggling to stay on top of things this week, seems so much to be going on.
Away again this weekend,then back into some sort of routine.

I will get there !!

Back