de-cluttering the home, as well as body & mind

I like what DietGirl suggested -- I would like to add: Set up some big boxes, bags, whatever -- label them with "Tip", "Donate", someone's name, etc. and go around and fill up those bags. Then, put them in the boot of your car and next time you leave you take them where they need to go.

Thank you so much for the advice ladies!

Finished my packing today, so can concentrate on the house for the next 2 weeks!

On fly lady ... there is an emergency cleaning plan. Worth having a look at when all seems bleak and too much to manage.

Good luck honey, it seems an insurmountable task but you will get there. 15 mins at a time is a godsend... honestly!

Company coming is a great motivator to spruce up. x

I got a letter from the housing executive (council) saying I might be getting a new kitchen 'funds permitting' and someone will be out next week to inspect the place! Better get my butt in gear!:eek: Else someone could trip over something and sue me lol.

I reckon I could get everything looking nice and neat and 'minimalist' if I had about a 3x bigger house! Ha.

Ladies I NEED this thread up and running again-things are slipping badly here-need the inspiration of reporting back to you lot, sad I know but it works !!
Off to see if there is still a coffee table under that pile of papers !!!

Ladies I NEED this thread up and running again-things are slipping badly here-need the inspiration of reporting back to you lot, sad I know but it works !!
Off to see if there is still a coffee table under that pile of papers !!!

No Kidding -- I have got to get back on track, too!

So, I (at the very least today)promise to get rid of some of my stuff to toss (thrift store donations, ibrary books returned, etc.), do some mending that is hiding a chair in the livingroom, and catch up on the laundry in various stages of wet, dry, needing folding, folded needing to be put away, etc. -- and then move on from there.

Mel

Everything here's all go to pot (being polite lol). I too have a Mount Washmore as Flylady calls it to get through, some things need rewashed as they got stinky waiting to be dried. In fact I'm gonna head out to dryer with the clothes that were washed last night and see if I can get on top of things.

I had started folding stuff straight out the dryer and putting away and now I am back to living from laundry baskets. *rolls eyes* Dunno if im getting my new kitchen as no one has called to see it (just as well really). Also need to fill a black bag with various textiles that are no good to pass on and get them taken to recycling at council yard.
Got some new jim-jams to replace the holey ones and they need to go, no point in hanging on to them!

Glad it's not just me then! Gone to pot here too!

Washing is driving me mad, dried so quick on the line outside in the summer so could get more than one load done and now its just hanging in the conservatory taking 2 days to dry and smelling of everything I cook aaah!

Glad it's not just me then! Gone to pot here too!

Washing is driving me mad, dried so quick on the line outside in the summer so could get more than one load done and now its just hanging in the conservatory taking 2 days to dry and smelling of everything I cook aaah!

You need one of these !! I dont have room for a tumble dryer and like you fins it takes ages to dry indoors-espesh with a couple of kids creating more laundry than you can shake a stick at. My friend had one and was so impressed that I got one too

Dry-Soon Heated Tower Airer in clothes horses & airers at the home of creative kitchenware, Lakeland

Hello ladies.

Nice to see a posting. In the process of shutting down my job to move on to a new one so house is not the top of the list or priorities. Fluttering a little with things and in general they were better than they were.

Keep spreading the sparkle ladies, look forward to hearing the progress x

Thanks for the kick ladies:D. Better at least get those surfaces recleared before they get overwhelmed!

@MommyB -- I love it. I wish I had a job (earning money of my own, so to speak) -- I'd get one for my friend. I have my drying rack set up in my airing cupboard (there's room) so it works on the same principle.

I do have a dryer (it is the garage) and I can't hear it buzz when the clothes are done and I hate walking back and forth (it isn't far, but it is out the front door). I used to wash all day (as I cleaned the house) and let the laundry pile up wet in baskets loaded in the back of the van -- then I would go to the laundry mat (on the American base: very cheap) and dry it all in one go. Then, when I got home I'd have my teenage son carry it all in and upstairs. But, I have gotten out of the habit of doing that (the launderette was closed for renovations for a bit).

Mel

Last edited:
Kitchen hot spots put out, living room hot spots managed. Washing un hand. Pleased with that.

Amazing what you will do to avoid paper work lol

Keep spreading the sparkle ladies.

PS diet wise rubbish

Oh I am loving this thread!

I normally post over on the CD forum (link to my diary below) anyway - this is just gold dust and I WANT ONE OF THOSE HEATED DRYING RACKS.

My pet hates are paperwork and laundry. Hoovering, dusting, general tidying - I can deal, but I always struggle with organising these two.

Oddly I am scared that I become my mother who used to have wicker laundry baskets filled with paperwork under the stairs and the washing hanging on the picture rails waiting to be dried - with 4 girls and a messy husband, you can imagine the scene. I also vividly remember one of the three downstairs rooms (the den) was out of action for about a year as it was filled with bags of washing that had been washed, probably didnt fit anyone and she refused to take it to the charity shop (she intended to make it into something but never had the time being a harrassed housewife with the competing demands of 4 kids and 1 super big kid)

Working and looking after a home and family is HARD. I think I need a maid :)

November Challenge in Bold Type!

Oh I am loving this thread!

I normally post over on the CD forum (link to my diary below) anyway - this is just gold dust and I WANT ONE OF THOSE HEATED DRYING RACKS.

I don't need one but I want one!

My drying rack fits in my airing cupboard and I am a wasteful American who will use my huge washer and dryer! lol

Actually, I am convinced that if I use the airing cupboard for a lot of things (that I do not want to fade or shrink) then put them in the dryer to fluff -- I save energy because I can aviod using the iron.

My pet hates are paperwork and laundry. Hoovering, dusting, general tidying - I can deal, but I always struggle with organising these two.

MY most depised housework item is ironing! But, I struggle with everything -- and my DH and I have years' worth of papwork to get through and destroy.

Oddly I am scared that I become my mother who used to have wicker laundry baskets filled with paperwork under the stairs and the washing hanging on the picture rails waiting to be dried -

My mom wasn't too bad but my father could be on Hoarders. (They divorced when I was four and neither ever remarried.)

with 4 girls and a messy husband, you can imagine the scene. I also vividly remember one of the three downstairs rooms (the den) was out of action for about a year as it was filled with bags of washing that had been washed, probably didnt fit anyone and she refused to take it to the charity shop (she intended to make it into something but never had the time being a harrassed housewife with the competing demands of 4 kids and 1 super big kid)

I, too, save things to make into something else -- and let my projects pile up. :sigh: I'm working on it.

Working and looking after a home and family is HARD. I think I need a maid :)

I had one when my DD was a baby -- I did not like the job she did cleaning. So, I paid her to watch DD whilst I did my housework. I also had her iron -- and that was fab. I miss having a good person to iron. The last one smoked and I had to rewash my DH's shirts. :sigh:

I am going to post a November Challenge -- I know it is the 7th -- but we can start here or catch up.

Clear, clean and declutter a drawer or shelf a day.

I emptied and cleaned the flatware drawer. I washed the tray and tossed some odd plastic forks, etc. that'd been stuck in it.

I am going to try and so six more to be caught up for the month.

Mel

am going to post a November Challenge -- I know it is the 7th -- but we can start here or catch up.

Clear, clean and declutter a drawer or shelf a day.

I emptied and cleaned the flatware drawer. I washed the tray and tossed some odd plastic forks, etc. that'd been stuck in it.

I am going to try and so six more to be caught up for the month.

Mel

Well, I have more than caught up with "drawer a day" -- I've done nine so far (I have lot of drawers in the kitchen).

I am still working on the laundry -- the airing cupboard is full of drip dry as is the stair rail upstairs. I know I have a dry load to fold and three waiting to be dried. It is such a pain having the dryer in the garage -- I do not hear it buzz when it is done, plsu I hate walking back and forth going in and out the front door with the laundry.

I have switched from coffee to green tea -- and I do feel energized. I wonder if it is "the power of suggestion" or legit.

I'll need to get some more done on the laundy tidy up th mess I've made in the kitchen, get showered and dressed to do errands. I need to drop off a birthday gift (or two) -- visit the library and do a quick food shop (fruit mostly for DS).

I got a new wok on Saturday, so I'll be doing a chicken stir fry tonight.

Mel

Back