de-cluttering the home, as well as body & mind

Morning ladies

Hello there Sammy, come in pull up a chair.

Felix, though I haven't made my stash list, it did make me far more aware of what I had and what I didn't need to buy. Broken my toiletry habit and believe me it was a baaad habit. Slowly using up what I have bit by bit, it will free up sooo much space you would not believe.
:eek:

Going to have a go at the flylady stuff now next week. Reasonable crisis clean undertaken so a bit at a time it goes again.

mommyB have you written a list of how decluttering will help and picked a spot to start in. I took a before and after pic of each room so I would see how much progress I'd made even though it was still ongoing.

Last weekend I cleared out my cupboard under the stairs and gave all the old paint and diy stuff away on freegle as well as some books. I've other books to list for sale online today. Yesterday I took a couple of bags of my old too big clothes to the charity shop and it feels really good to know they're gone and I'm never going to be that weight again.

Decluttering makes your life easier you don't lose things, cleaning is quicker, it's not embarassing when people call round. But it's the same as the weight loss process it forces you to confront and deal with emotional issues, suurounding yourself with stuff can be very comforting even if you don't admit it. It made me think about how empty my life was apart from all the stuff, what defines me as a person rather than all the books I've read movies I've watched etc. Weight loss and decluttering has really changed things for me in my whole life. For the better. But it is tough so don't beat yourself up or think that you're lazy because you haven't got there yet. You will, pick somewhere small to start- one drawer or a table or under the bed. Then just keep going with a small bit of a day

I've just scrubbed the en suite shower within in inch of its life with an old toothbrush! I generally don't mind cleaning at all but the shower is my most hated task! It's so hard to clean because it has a silly folding door and it just seems to constantly collect mould. Does anyone know a way I can prevent this? I had to do it naked with the water running haha!!!!

Felix said:
I've just scrubbed the en suite shower within in inch of its life with an old toothbrush! I generally don't mind cleaning at all but the shower is my most hated task! It's so hard to clean because it has a silly folding door and it just seems to constantly collect mould. Does anyone know a way I can prevent this? I had to do it naked with the water running haha!!!!

Omg! I just did the grout in my bathroom in the same guise!

skint_chick said:
mommyB have you written a list of how decluttering will help and picked a spot to start in. I took a before and after pic of each room so I would see how much progress I'd made even though it was still ongoing.

Last weekend I cleared out my cupboard under the stairs and gave all the old paint and diy stuff away on freegle as well as some books. I've other books to list for sale online today. Yesterday I took a couple of bags of my old too big clothes to the charity shop and it feels really good to know they're gone and I'm never going to be that weight again.

Decluttering makes your life easier you don't lose things, cleaning is quicker, it's not embarassing when people call round. But it's the same as the weight loss process it forces you to confront and deal with emotional issues, suurounding yourself with stuff can be very comforting even if you don't admit it. It made me think about how empty my life was apart from all the stuff, what defines me as a person rather than all the books I've read movies I've watched etc. Weight loss and decluttering has really changed things for me in my whole life. For the better. But it is tough so don't beat yourself up or think that you're lazy because you haven't got there yet. You will, pick somewhere small to start- one drawer or a table or under the bed. Then just keep going with a small bit of a day

Wow! You are spot on there! I have about 300 CDs in my garage which were my lifes work, collecting, listening, watching bands. I now have spotify, iTunes, and iPod docks. I dont even have a cd player anymore. But somehow I can't banish them from my life because they were (are) part of who i am!

Bettiesrevenge I totally get this. I was happiest seeing live bands and hanging out listening to music when I was younger. So I have 2 ikea boxes of my favourite cds and a box of rare vinyl -thats how old I am! - and I made all my old gig tickets into a framed collage that I display so I'm reminded of good times every day. Maybe you could try something similar?

Just have to post that I have been using up toiletries.

I recently moved out of a flat I stayed in Monday-Friday for years. I have gathered those little hotel bottles, small soaps, sachets from magazines and full sized bottles which I've bought when they are on offer from the flat and my home. As Mel says, FlyLady says soap is soap - so I use any shower gels or shampoos that I don't like when I clean the bath/basin and even the loo. It's practical, great to be using up stuff and is saving me money and freeing space. I highly recommend it!

Ooh and I love swishing and swiping. I just love FlyLady. Her calendars are the best thing ever. And I love MoneySavingExpert as well - we've saved a ton of money on house and car insurance following their tips.

Whoop!

Soon we shall avoid C.H.A.O.S. (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome).

Had some stuff for the thrift shop and DD's friend wanted it. Bag out of boot! Whoop!

Costumes complete shoes bought today... Just waiting on tutus from Postie.

Jumping in again tomorrow!!!

I've got a cupboard of nice clothes waiting for me to Ebay them. I've not got round to listing them so was about to ship them to the charity shop where the less good stuff had already gone. Then I googled a bit and found an Ebay Trading Assistant near me - someone who sells clothes for a commission. She also runs a brick and mortar shop in a nearby market town. She's coming over on Wednesday - and I'll get rid of anything she doesn't want to sell. I'm so excited that I'll clear the walk in cupboard this week and get some money to offset my new capsule wardrobe.

Aligal - are you getting help with a capsule wardrobe from a personal shopper/website? I'm working on the decluttering my mind and life thing and would love a capsule wardrobe when I'm at goal. I'm in the enforced minimalist wardrobe now as everything is too big and I'm not spending lots of money on new stuff because I change sizes so quickly. Have you seen project 333? I started off following this until I had less than 33 items that fit me!

Congratulations on your amazing weightloss btw you're one of my inspirations :)

AliGal said:
I've got a cupboard of nice clothes waiting for me to Ebay them. I've not got round to listing them so was about to ship them to the charity shop where the less good stuff had already gone. Then I googled a bit and found an Ebay Trading Assistant near me - someone who sells clothes for a commission. She also runs a brick and mortar shop in a nearby market town. She's coming over on Wednesday - and I'll get rid of anything she doesn't want to sell. I'm so excited that I'll clear the walk in cupboard this week and get some money to offset my new capsule wardrobe.

I need to find someone like this - I just give everything away because I can't see it being worth the hassle to sell on eBay. Great plan.

I'm after reading through some updates of this thread and decided instead of moaning how fallen behind I've been, to get up from the computer and go do some FLYing instead. So will be back to chat later, hopefully in better humor ;)

Skintchick - hey, girl! Change your name - you are defining yourself by a situation that will change. Maybe an abundant name will help you see the opportunities to be more abundant. By the way, money saving expert is another of my favourite inspirational websites. They even have slimming threads there - old style cooking fresh low cal low carb low cost food.

Capsule wardrobe: I googled and looked at a few sites to see what people have in their wardrobes. I didnt see anything inspirational. I currently have a pair of linen trews (getting loose) and jeans also a little loose at waist and a white linen shirt- all from ASDA, 4 seamless coloured vests (£2 each) from Primark, a long Maxi I bought for a wedding from M&Co, plus an M&S jacket and a long line jacket I just bought in a charity shop , both of which go with the Maxi dress and trousers. I have a warp around cardigan (£4 from Sue Ryder), a long line cardy from M&S and new swimsuit. I have 2 tshirts that I'll have to replace as they are too large. I am surprised by how many different events I can do with just these clothes. I did have my colours done good few years ago and buy to that colour palette so everything tones and goes together.

Have a great day, everyone!

Aligal - it's an old online name I'm not actually skint anymore all my debt is gone apart from my mortgage. I might get my colours done as my next treat as I've no idea about that stuff but it makes sense. I'm trying to make sure I have enough clothes to get me through life well put together but not to have excess or waste money. I'd rather spend my money doing than buying!

skint_chick said:
Aligal - it's an old online name I'm not actually skint anymore all my debt is gone apart from my mortgage. I might get my colours done as my next treat as I've no idea about that stuff but it makes sense. I'm trying to make sure I have enough clothes to get me through life well put together but not to have excess or waste money. I'd rather spend my money doing than buying!

You can ask the mods to change your name - just et your friends know.

Thanks minniemel but its a reminder of how far I've come in the past few years from skint, depressed and struggling to happy and on track to achieve my goals. I've got a massive clearout of my spare room planned to make it into a crafts room this weekend. At the moment it has piles of paperwork and craft materials piled high. Aiming to have huge donation bag for community centre, more clothes to sell because there's binliners of 2004-2006 clothes in there and all my old paperwork sorted and shredded.

skint_chick said:
Thanks minniemel but its a reminder of how far I've come in the past few years from skint, depressed and struggling to happy and on track to achieve my goals. I've got a massive clearout of my spare room planned to make it into a crafts room this weekend. At the moment it has piles of paperwork and craft materials piled high. Aiming to have huge donation bag for community centre, more clothes to sell because there's binliners of 2004-2006 clothes in there and all my old paperwork sorted and shredded.

Oh now you're inspiring me. I should be upstairs sorting my craft room. A cup of decaf and I'm off. :)

skint_chick said:

Any tips? Well done.

Back