de-cluttering the home, as well as body & mind

Bettie and Zest,

Laundry! I know that feeling. The Flylady way has worked for me. It's funny - now it's a habit to do a load (and sometimes 2) a day, to fold and put away. I had forgotten I used to know that feeling.

The timer, maybe doing a laundry reset, reducing the amount of clothes everyone wears*, baskets to collect and sort into laundry load types, and a load (or more) and fold a day plus training your household to bring clothes and process into the right baskets and then out their own away really helps.

FlyLady has a sort of laundry re-set on her blog - so if you are overwhelmed, she suggests taking it all to a laundromat to get caught up Ideas for laundry please - FlyLady Forum Ask for help - maybe your partner or a friend will help you. You can then go to their house and help them - with laundry or something else.

I think having enough laundry baskets is key. I bought some ikea bags - they were sold as being suitable to fill with earth and grow a few lettuces - smallish and circular with a bit of hard plastic that keeps them open. Those are used for collecting and bringoing clothes downstairs where they get sorted into darks and lights.

I used to use my timer for laundry as it was so overwhelming.

Now it's in my routine and a load goes in, maybe another gets hung up and the dry one folded and put away. I use the Lakeland heated dryer which has reduced my ironing as many clothes laid flat on the dryer or hung up to dry don't need ironing. I put a pair of single sheets draped over as that makes it dry faster (I think by containing the heat). I do a load a day, and sometimes more. It's beside the kitchen and now I'm not feeling overwhelmed it's so much easier to just pop in and hang up a load or fold it when the kettle's boiling. My attitude has changed because I know I'm on top of it and if it slips away from me, I can reassert sanity.

My top tip is to use the short or gentle cycle on lots of clothes. Many of our clothes aren't filthy, the short wash is good enough and it's so quick. Then hang them up on plastic hangers along the heated dryer and put the cover over the top so things that usually need ironing look great and don't!

We don't have a dryer. It's often too rainy to dry outside so I also have a dehumidifier that I bought before the Lakeland dryer. I use that as well, and have some extra ordinary drying racks. Sometimes I use the short cycle and then do extra spinning. I just did my 88 yr old MIL's dresses - very manmade fabric - and none need ironing because the wash was so gentle and I hung them up to dry.

* put some clothes away - it's so much easier to put away when drawers aren't stuffed full. You can rotate them by season or just when you or they fancy a change of tshirts , or just use the ones they always wear. Flylady has some suggestions on how many clothes younger children need. Make sure you get your kids involved in their laundry. The reason we struggled is that our mum's didn't show us how to do it as routine without drama.

Courage, dear Minimins friends.You can create order in your house over the coming months 5 or 15 minutes at a time. Make sure you get an easy to use simple timer - it's essential to really getting Flying. FLY = Finally Loving Yourself.

AliGal -- fan post. Or buy American Appliances! Lol

That's funny, Mel - our house is so small we barely fit in a European one. It's one my DH bought years ago - and he didn't mechanically dry on on ecological grounds!

Ali

Aligal, love that your in top of washing!that bugs me more than anything! So you found flylady way worked? I do about two loads a day anyway, but I don't put straight away when dry. That's my thing for this week, my machine is rubbish takes over sn hour even on fast wash and condenser drier takes hours, they are awful x I hope to come on here with sime positive posts this coming week! :) x
Love reading this thread, sad but true lol

Well once again you are all inspiring me to get started ( again)
Depression and lethargy have affected me and my routines really badly over the last few eeks, and it's a vicious circle-the more I dont do the worse I feel and then I get so overwhelmed that I dont know where to start. Today is the day that I am going to start to get more organised.
Going to at least make some lists of what needs doing in each room and priorotise them.

Wish me luck

mommyB said:
Well once again you are all inspiring me to get started ( again)
Depression and lethargy have affected me and my routines really badly over the last few eeks, and it's a vicious circle-the more I dont do the worse I feel and then I get so overwhelmed that I dont know where to start. Today is the day that I am going to start to get more organised.
Going to at least make some lists of what needs doing in each room and priorotise them.

Wish me luck

Good luck Hun :) I'm same get out of routine and now I'm overwhelmed!

MommyB you shouldn't beat yourself up about not getting things done it's a never ending list! I pick the 3 most important things get them done then treat myself to a sitdown! I figured out that a lot of the stuff I was doing wasn't really essential, noone needs to hoover.everyday unless they're supermessy/have allergies. Good luck :)

Zest:

I don't have room for two appliances (washer and a dryer) and my last washer dryer was so poor at drying, I didn't replace my DH's washing machine with a washer dryer when we moved here.

For ages, I've had drying racks and a good dehumidifier. That works well - but not as well as the heated drying rack with dry sheets over it to increase the heat. I now use both my heated drying rack and the regular ones with dehumidifier if I'm doing more than one load.

Putting away promptly is key, in my view, to staying on top of laundry.

Good luck - baby steps and a little bit at a time.....

In so getting a Lakeland drier!

So. Baby steps. I bought 3 paint samples and picked colours for the kitchen and bedroom. I also bought that new lightfitting and the rest of the stuff is coming this week so I'm transforming my boudoir! Will post befores and afters!

it's this one: Dry-Soon 3-Tier Heated Tower Airer in clothes horses & airers at the home of creative kitchenware, Lakeland It doesn't have a long plug lead so you may need an extension lead. I tend to lay things across the three layers - they dry fastest that way - but it doesn't take as much as if you hang them dangling. It's not as sturdy as a non electric one - but has useful little folding hooks to hold the tiers. It takes a lot of floor space - so work out where you can live with it before you buy and where you'll keep it when folded up.

I layer up things like tea towels but not thicker things like jeans - though I fold back the jeans legs onto itself. If I'm in a hurry, I turn over the jeans. I only have 2 pairs of trews right now! I also hang some things around the edge under the sheet on plastic hangers. It's obviously quickest with a faster spin dry. It's cheap to run and mostly dries of our stuff overnight. You soon work out what will dry in what length of time. Definitely use a sheet to put over - I use 2 singles as they are easier to draw around, than a double sheet.

I suspect an industrial (or american!) sized dryer would be better if you have a large family - but I love my heated drying rack.

PS: spot who got diverted mid post ......

I have my big American tumble dryer, but I actually have a large drying rack in my airing cupboard where I dry most clothing - I use the tumble dryer for jeans, towels and sheets -- and to "fluff" the cupboard dried stuff. it does save ironing most things.

Done some big house jobs today, unfortunately jobs that dont produce much finished effect! Waxed and polished my welsh dresser, which entails taking all the stuff off to clean, wax on and wax off, put stuff back on. Also waxed my table, legs and underneath. Shake and vac'd my sofa as it was smelling a bit doggy. Washed the sofa throws and put them back. Dried the washing, though havent put it away.

Things that needed doing but house still looks a tip :-( Not to worry 15 mins in the morning tomorrow and when I come home on my hotspots will hopefully get it looking a bit better.

Onwards, ever onwards x

Clarabow said:
Done some big house jobs today, unfortunately jobs that dont produce much finished effect! Waxed and polished my welsh dresser, which entails taking all the stuff off to clean, wax on and wax off, put stuff back on. Also waxed my table, legs and underneath. Shake and vac'd my sofa as it was smelling a bit doggy. Washed the sofa throws and put them back. Dried the washing, though havent put it away.

Things that needed doing but house still looks a tip :-( Not to worry 15 mins in the morning tomorrow and when I come home on my hotspots will hopefully get it looking a bit better.

Onwards, ever onwards x

Well done... Sounds like these were things that will make you more at home in your house.

' waxed my table, legs and underneath'

Do you mean the table's legs and underneath or your own ??LOL

Sorry that has just made me giggle like an adolesant !!!!

Onwards and onwards indeed

No waxing on this body far too painful lol

Back