de-cluttering the home, as well as body & mind

Day of rest ?? Yes I've heard of those !!!

Minimel does it again!!! Whoop whoop love the who needs clutter post!!! And poor me is exactly it. Thanks mel it's given me a no clutter head.

THANKS -- but it's really FlyLady, not me.

woohoo Taz !! it's nearly here !!

I am hoping to get lots of sorting done on our room today. I was lying in bed looking at it this morning and realised that for all it looks bad-one of the worst rooms- it's actually going to be one of the easiest to sort-just need to actually put my words and thoughts into action instead of procrastinating all the time !!

Went nd got the new bookcase for DD2's room but havent put it togethr- DH is home tomorrow so I will mke use of him !!

I get this:

I keep going and standing in my unbelievably clutter craft/extra room trying to visualize what I need to do and where to start. I'm going to have to tackle this right after 1/2 term - because I'll need to start making better use of the space so I can Ge some projects done.

I think my "list" was sort the garage better -- get rid of stuff, arrange and organize better. Move stuff from extra room to garage to clear space (plus get rid of and organize what's in there). Move stuff from dining room -- where it was moved when office was orated, cleaned and cleared for DH (and now it needs a re-clear and unclutter).

But, summer was taken over by daddy drama followed by "catch up", followed by Stateside return, followed by 1/2 term, holidays prep... And now it's 1/2 term again -- and still no progress. After 1/2 term it'll be holiday prep (Stateside big visit) -- but even if I can't do it in the order I want or way I prefer, I need to work on it. And, I can't just shove stuff from one room into another either.

I'll take before photos of the dining room and craft room -- and then afters. The garage will have to wait for better weather -- but I will work on that, too. It needs to be done.

Ah!!! My OH has just announced that his friend and girlfriend are coming for a meal next weekend and staying over!! So not only is it now a worry over what I can serve that is diet friendly but I have to get the house guest ready :-(

Just home from an overnight at my folks so some catching up to be done
I did wash and hang clothes to dry (including uniform) before i left yesterday and left my sink shining

Today Ive fed the dog and kids and lit the fire

I'm not feeling up to much so gonna do 5 mins in each room and sweep the kitchen

Ah!!! My OH has just announced that his friend and girlfriend are coming for a meal next weekend and staying over!! So not only is it now a worry over what I can serve that is diet friendly but I have to get the house guest ready :-(

That's where the baby steps help. Just set a timer and attack each room for 15 minutes. Get the guest room sorted -- and plan a lean protein meal that will work for everyone. Try to enjoy the visit.

Next week's Fly Zone:

Zone 3: Bathroom and an Extra Room

This week we are focusing on the main bathroom and one extra room. The extra room may be a second, or third bathroom, a guest bedroom, a child's bedroom, the office, or maybe the laundry room. Just pick one extra room and focus on it this week.

The bathroom: Do you live in fear that someone will actually see your bathroom? It is too easy to close our eyes to the mess that is hiding right behind the bathroom door. This week, we are going to open that door to the bathroom, and BabyStep, by BabyStep, we are going to conquer the CHAOS that is the main bathroom!

Your bathroom should give you sense of relaxation and joy when you enter. This is a place for you to pamper and take care of yourself. Treat the room with love and respect and it will bless you with comfort and peace.

FlyBabies: Remove the obvious clutter, take out the dirty laundry, and empty the garbage can.

If your bathroom is clean but still cluttered: Start decluttering (makeup, old towels, old medicine, hair supplies, shampoos, etc.). Check out Kelly's missions, she usually sends out one during the week which concentrates on decluttering one small area of your bathroom.

If your bathroom is decluttered: (that means no more clutter -- only the things you use and love) Go onto the detailed cleaning list. You will be amazed at how wonderful a 20-minute mini-vacation in a hot bath (complete with candles and bubbles) will feel when the CHAOS is gone from the bathroom. Enjoy!

Don't forget to add the bathroom to your daily routines. A couple of minutes focusing on the bathroom each day will make a huge difference!

FLY Spot

Zone 3: The Bathroom and One Extra Room. It's time to nourish the often overlooked wood surfaces in the bathroom. Using a wood soap or furniture polish, clean and polish the wood cabinets, shelves, and towel racks in your bathroom. Spend 5-10 minutes on this task and your wood will lose that parched look and have a pretty gleam that will also serve to protect the wood against the high humidity in the bathroom.

The habit for February is Decluttering for 15 minutes a day.

Declutter Anxiety

Decluttering a sock drawer?

Ask yourself: Do I really need them? I mean REALLY? Could I get another "wear" out of them? Just one? How about two?

What about kitchen utensils?

Try the Rule of Two.

When faced with multiple items, pick out the two in the worst condition and toss them in the "Throw Away" bag. No evaluation or judgement needed.

Once you get to where everything is in good condition, pick out the two that you use the least and toss them in the "Give Away" bag. I may need to do this over and over, but eventually I have just what I need. Everything is in good condition and everything is loved.

Since February is DeClutter month -- try working 15 minutes a day on your home office with your timer on the desk. Or work in another "hot spot" area.

Declutter -- 15 minutes at a time.

Zone 3: Mission #1 Monday

Today's mission is to look up high and get the cobwebs off the ceilings and clean the fan vent grill. I know this is a yucky mission; get a proper step ladder and your shoes. If you don't have a bathroom vent you can clean the light fixture. Get the dust and the sleeping bugs out and wash it.

We are also in another room this week. We are going to focus on the home or work office:

Look on the left side of your computer and go through this pile and file it or toss it.

XXXXXXXXXX

I'm going to clean the MB ensuite and downstairs loo. Plus, I'll try to get the kitchen floor swept and mopped after the cupcake creating we have planned.

I'm working on laundry, ironing, and hope to vacuum the living room.

The hotspots I'm going to tackle is some paperwork piles. I'll also work on packing, prepping gifts, etc. I also need to draft lists for food and other trip bits.

Last edited:
Morning mel.

Today I'm going to focus on the bathroom and the office! The office is only a box room but the windows are filthy and it needs a serious sort!

Morning mel.

Today I'm going to focus on the bathroom and the office! The office is only a box room but the windows are filthy and it needs a serious sort!

Baby steps!

Just didnt get near the bathrooms today

I did sweep and mop the kitchen floor Badly needed
Need to reboot the laundry now

Baby baby steps at the moment

In the midst of our big sort out-at the point where it looks alot worse than it did-please let the 'then it gets better' bit come quickly before I drown under these boxes and bags :eek:

Sometimes during a major sort out I have to scream at Mr Taz to get the bags/boxes out that are going out just so I can see some progress! It's quite soul destroying when you have spent ages sorting and it looks no better

I think I need somewhere to store things that are going until they go, currently alot of them are piled up on the landing-surely a fire hazzard if nothing else ? That's going to be my excuse anyway !!

Sometimes during a major sort out I have to scream at Mr Taz to get the bags/boxes out that are going out just so I can see some progress! It's quite soul destroying when you have spent ages sorting and it looks no better

I think I need somewhere to store things that are going until they go, currently alot of them are piled up on the landing-surely a fire hazzard if nothing else ? That's going to be my excuse anyway !!

My friend bought a new shed and erected it next to the one they had (they looked okay together and there was room. After she used it for a huge sort out storage -- then sort and toss, keep, etc bit (on a tarp under a marquee in decent weather over a few days) and the stuff was either taken to the tip, donated, recycled, or repacked and stored appropriately -- they put hooks on the walls and hung all their bikes in there and put their garden table and chairs, grill, etc, in there over the winter months.

a productive morning so far
washed up dishes
2nd load of laundry just finished.
made beds
wiped over bathroom
took all the rubbish and recycling out
made a huge dent in my ironning backlog.

Will do a bit more ironning after work and then put it all away, that will make me feel better !!

SuzieSuze said:

That's the only time my house gets a deep clean!

MinnieMel said:
That's where the baby steps help. Just set a timer and attack each room for 15 minutes. Get the guest room sorted -- and plan a lean protein meal that will work for everyone. Try to enjoy the visit.

Are you actualy flylady mel???

mommyB said:
In the midst of our big sort out-at the point where it looks alot worse than it did-please let the 'then it gets better' bit come quickly before I drown under these boxes and bags :eek:

Half way is the worst, you have everything everywhere and think, why did I do this?!
But sooo nice once it's done. It's surprising how little we really need isn't it.

Back