de-cluttering the home, as well as body & mind

I need flylady back in my life! I am sitting here frozen in panic due to all the house work I need to do before school run time at 3.00

Good on all of you for keeping up the motivation

Set a timer and hot each room for fifteen, then go back and hit the hot spots.

Have done my home blessing hour-downstairs only- and 2 loads of washing which are hung on the airer ( not quite nice enough to hang it out, but those days are coming, I can feel it !!). know what's for dinner and have shined my sink.
Off to work shortly then I think I will do some ironing before the school run. I am also finally going to make a start on that control jorunal-if nothing else it will control the pile of papers that keeps appearing in the ktichen.

I need to do that, too.

The lounge is finally back to normal so I am now ready to join the world of cleaning!

Yay! So pleased for you.

I really fell off the wagon again this weekend! Starting my MR a little late today. :)

It's all good -- just jump in!

Ahhh love this thread - it's got me back into FlyLady. Though there's no way I have time to do everything every day, but even just a little bit helps hey?

My sink (and hob) are now lovely and shiny andy Worktops are wonderfully clean lol

Baby steps and eventually you'll rein in chaos.

YAY Sink is shined, trash is taken out!

Whoop!

Oops! Just booked an appointment with Magnet to get a quote to redo the kitchen!

Living room must have turned out well -- if you're willing to tackle another redec!

Sneak Peek for the Week - March 3 - 9, 2013

This Week we are in Zone 2 - The Kitchen

Our habit for March is Getting Dressed to Shoes --

***Yesterday, I got dressed in fitness clothes and then had an unexpected visitor. Was so glad I wasn't in my pjs. :). I'm doing it again this morning (but hopefully I'll get the fitness done -- another unexpected visitor would be unprecedented).

Zone 2: Mission #2 Tuesday

Today we are going to de-clutter our leftover, food storage, plastic, Rubbermaid, Tupperware, Glad-Ware, etc. containers! Do you have excess lids? More bowls than lids? Stained and/or Melted? Do we even need to talk about those old margarine, ice cream and sherbet containers?

It is time to let go of this clutter. I am not telling you that you can't keep any containers, I am telling you to get rid of the ones that have no lids, stained and the ones that keep getting shoved in the back because it just isn't a size that works for you.

I don't know what a reasonable number of containers to own is, that is a personal choice that has to be made on how you cook, store and the size of your family. I just know that if you haven't de-cluttered these items in the past 6 months it is time to really go through them and start tossing!

A quick hint that is helpful, take a large zip top plastic bag to store the lids in, this keeps them together and keeps them from spilling all over the inside of your cabinet.

Spend 10 minutes doing this, don't get sidetracked and rip apart your cabinets and drawers. One thing at a time.

image-2068506275.jpg

I changed DD's sheets and did Tuesday's kitchen job first thing (after unloading and reloading dishwasher and rebooting laundry) and was planning to do ALL this week's assignments yesterday -- but a friend dropped by and stayed for HOURS literally. She was waiting to do the final bit on her house sale and her rented house is a 45 minute drive a way (they sold their house because they will move back to the States next year -- and they didn't want to be stuck with their house not sold -- it's been for sale for over a year). She needed somewhere to hang out whilst waiting. I made her soup with my soup maker -- I think she'll be getting one -- and we had a catch up.

I did get some laundry done and started dinner in the slow cooker -- but little else. So, I feel behind -- but I'm just gong to "jump in" and get what I can done.

Dinner is planned... Dishwasher is unloaded and reloaded... Laundry is in progress...

Dishes done, beds made, and a load of towels done and hung out in the garden !!

Off to do a food shop shortly then I I have some clean laundry to put away and I need to get to the bank at some point today-probably after work is more realistic, couple of other errands to do too at the same time
I need to pack up a parcel that is being collected tomorrow and I WILL start that control journal today !!!

1 bag of other clutter been collected by a charity this morning and I have another box of other stuff waiting to go, but that's for another day !

Off to do a food shop shortly then I I have some clean laundry to put away and I need to get to the bank at some point today-probably after work is more realistic, couple of other errands to do too at the same time
I need to pack up a parcel that is being collected tomorrow and I WILL start that control journal today !!!

1 bag of other clutter been collected by a charity this morning and I have another box of other stuff waiting to go, but that's for another day !

You're the bomb! Impressed!

Update -- Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Sneak Peek for the Week - March 3 - 9, 2013

Our habit for March is Getting Dressed to Shoes -

- i wore sweats to clean, then hair washed, dried and straightened, make up on and dressed.

Zone 2: Mission #1 Monday

Your mission for today should you choose to accept it: Scrub down your counter tops,

DONE!!! Including top of one cabinet, microwave and fridge. :)

Zone 2: Mission #2 Tuesday

Done -- yesterday.

Zone 2: Mission #3 Wednesday

Some - but will do properly tomorrow.

Zone 2: Mission #4 Thursday

Done!!!

Zone 2: Mission #5 Friday

1/2 done will finish this evening.

Also done -- floors, carpets swept. Floor mopped. Table and chairs wiped down. Window sill and windows cleaned. Glass doors inside cleaned. Cabinet glass cleaned.

Some clutter cleared!

Downstairs loo cleaned.

Handbag cleaned out.

Laundry in progress.

At piano.

Did the food shopping and planned meals for the rest of the week ( in my head, need to write it down )
towles brought in and put away
I made it to the bank and another errand
And I did the parcel which was a priority.

I didnt do anymore ironing and I havent done anything towards my control log-unless planning it in my head counts- as I have a headache and my hip is giving me some jip !! Going to cook dinner and chill out and look after myself.

Morning! Wednesday, March 6, 2013. Anti-procrastination Day! (I'll come back and list what I've ticked off from that list.)

Our habit for March is Getting Dressed to Shoes (Done)

Zone 2: Mission #1 Monday -- Done

Zone 2: Mission #2 Tuesday -- Done

Zone 2: Mission #3 Wednesday

What a fun and exciting mission that I have for you today? LOL!

Let's take a close look at the gadgets and small appliances. The toaster, can opener, coffee maker, microwave etc. The small appliances that you use on a regular basis. When was the last time you cleaned out your toaster; opened up the bottom and dumped the crumbs? How dingy or dusty is your coffee maker? Do we even want to talk about the blades on the electric can openers? How about the outside of the microwave?

Wipe them down and make them shine. I am not telling you to drag out every small kitchen appliance you own and to scrub them. Just wipe down the fingerprints, dust, drips, dried food particles on the most used items. Make sure you unplug these items before you clean them!

Don't obsess, set your timer for 15 minutes and have fun!

Zone 2: Mission #4 Thursday -- Done

Zone 2: Mission #5 Friday

We are in the last day of the kitchen zone!

Let's take a look at the cabinets! Take a few minutes to check them out, I bet you will see that they need a little sprucing up! Just wipe down the outside surfaces. You will be so surprised at what a difference shining those cabinets will make!

There is no "right" way to do this. Depending on what your cabinets are made out of is what you will use to wipe the cabinets down. A wood soap, a general purpose cleaner, or just soap and water. A slightly damp cloth will work as well.

Don't obsess and have fun with this! Look around and see how your kitchen shines!!![/QUOTE]

I have a long to do list: ironing, vacuum whole house, laundry, strip and remake my bed, etc. Still need to finish up travel arrangements for Florida. Not feeling motivated -- time to use the light box.

Just found there's a huge memorial at the Church across from my house this afternoon at 1:00. Even John Major is expected to attend. It means we'll be parked in -- people are so inconsiderate.

Do you find the light box helps?

I've swished, cleaned/polished off appliances, done my ironing and sorted out Tupperware. And I've been working a couple of hours too. I even cleaned my shower screen this am too, hoovered and cleaned the bunnies litter tray, oh and I decluttered a hotspot too.

Def feel more organised for this and notice I'm hopping out of bed with a bit more of a skip too.

Do you find the light box helps?

I've swished, cleaned/polished off appliances, done my ironing and sorted out Tupperware. And I've been working a couple of hours too. I even cleaned my shower screen this am too, hoovered and cleaned the bunnies litter tray, oh and I decluttered a hotspot too.

Def feel more organised for this and notice I'm hopping out of bed with a bit more of a skip too.

Fab progress!

OMG -- without the box I'd probably weigh 1,000 pounds and never get out of bed. I have SAD - there is no doubt. I'm not originally from "The Gray Isle of Despair" - I lived in Florida for fifteen years. I'm solar powered.

I've got a major hotspot to tackle and as its anti-procrastination day (Wednesdays are) - you've inspired me to go tackle. Thanks!

I really suffer with depression and it does seem to be worse in the winter months. Possibly it's something that could help me. How long/often do you use it?

The shelf above my Tupperware holds baking stuff. So I went through that too (the Virgin Media man had shown up so I'd been kicked off my work connection). Chucked loads of out of date stuff out. Cleaned, sorted and organised that area now into two sealed plastic tubs. I have filled a whole black sack with plastic tubs and out of date toot that was constantly getting in my way. Jobs a goodun!

Oh and while disconnected they all got on and thought for themselves a bit in the office too, so a bit of a result all round really.

I really suffer with depression and it does seem to be worse in the winter months. Possibly it's something that could help me. How long/often do you use it?

The shelf above my Tupperware holds baking stuff. So I went through that too (the Virgin Media man had shown up so I'd been kicked off my work connection). Chucked loads of out of date stuff out. Cleaned, sorted and organised that area now into two sealed plastic tubs. I have filled a whole black sack with plastic tubs and out of date toot that was constantly getting in my way. Jobs a goodun!

Oh and while disconnected they all got on and thought for themselves a bit in the office too, so a bit of a result all round really.

I use mine usually mid-morning for about 15 to 20 minutes. If I'm struggling I might use it again in the afternoon. You have o careful or it might make it difficult to sleep - so, not too late. I'd research it a bit.

Afternoon! Wednesday, March 6, 2013. Anti-procrastination Day!

Mailed a birthday -- hope it arrives on time.
Checked mail on base and picked up packages.
(Need to more anti-procrastinating)

Our habit for March is Getting Dressed to Shoes (Done)

Zone 2: Mission #1 Monday -- Done

Zone 2: Mission #2 Tuesday -- Done

Zone 2: Mission #3 Wednesday -- DONE! Even descaled coffee maker, kettle and two Brita Water jugs.

Zone 2: Mission #4 Thursday -- Done

Zone 2: Mission #5 Friday -- DONE!

-- NONE of what is listed below has been done -- except: stripped and remade my bed, worked on laundry, dishwasher going again because I've made a meatloaf (cooked) and a White Chicken Chili (in slow cooker) and I made 20 meatballs which I'm freezing. I've also remade DD's lunch for tomorrow.

I have a long to do list: ironing, vacuum whole house, laundry, strip and remake my bed, etc. Still need to finish up travel arrangements for Florida. Not feeling motivated -- time to use the light box.

There was a huge memorial at the Church across from my house this afternoon at 1:00. Even John Major is attended. It means we'll be parked in -- people are so inconsiderate. (I was too busy to stalk -- loads of posh cars up and down the road, though.)

I just got a light box. Only used it once so far though. What do you do mel to use it? I sat watching tv. But thought I might try reading or even doing my emails and mini stuff in morning. But I had it to the side of me not infront. Does that matter?

Quick note regarding light box -i make jewellery in front of mine or have my breakfast, check on emails, fb or minis etc. Mine is supposed to be used for 30mins but lately I've not had a chance to use it every day so it might be every few days. I've found it good :)

Sent from my new ARCHOS tablet :)

Mama-bear said:
Quick note regarding light box -i make jewellery in front of mine or have my breakfast, check on emails, fb or minis etc. Mine is supposed to be used for 30mins but lately I've not had a chance to use it every day so it might be every few days. I've found it good :)

Sent from my new ARCHOS tablet :)

Thanks, I think I'll try that. It has to get in your retina. I had visions of putting it on and having a half hour nap. Now that's lazy!
I'll do s session tomorrw x
Thanks again

I've decluttertastic already and I feel so much better already for it. So much so that I'm even going to attempt 'dieting' again. Something I've been struggling with for a long time. That's another story for another thread, but I'll be relaxed about it, I'm not trying myself up in knots over it again.

Anyhoo... this morning, bathroom swished, then I spent 10 mins clearing the mountain of cr@p from my office desk. It actually looks like a normal room now rather than a dumping ground. Even my son put the hanger for his school shirt away of his own accord rather than leaving it on the floor.

Quick change of bunnies litter/hay then off to make early train to work. Lunch/juice all prepared last night so was nice and easy.

I was thinking that as a routine, spending 15-20 mins first thing in the morning, while my morning bath runs, doing a few jobs upstairs works well for me. I'll give the office a quick polish next time hey? ;-)

A wee bit of ironing tonight when I get in and dinner defrosting in the fridge. Sorted!

Have a good day all.

I just got a light box. Only used it once so far though. What do you do mel to use it? I sat watching tv. But thought I might try reading or even doing my emails and mini stuff in morning. But I had it to the side of me not infront. Does that matter?

I sit with it to the Sid while I read or watch TV.
Thanks, I think I'll try that. It has to get in your retina. I had visions of putting it on and having a half hour nap. Now that's lazy!
I'll do s session tomorrw x
Thanks again

Actually, there s a new device that looks like an iPod and the light is emitted through the earbuds! It s apparently very effective, portable and discreet.

I've decluttertastic already and I feel so much better already for it. So much so that I'm even going to attempt 'dieting' again. Something I've been struggling with for a long time. That's another story for another thread, but I'll be relaxed about it, I'm not trying myself up in knots over it again.

Anyhoo... this morning, bathroom swished, then I spent 10 mins clearing the mountain of cr@p from my office desk. It actually looks like a normal room now rather than a dumping ground. Even my son put the hanger for his school shirt away of his own accord rather than leaving it on the floor.

Quick change of bunnies litter/hay then off to make early train to work. Lunch/juice all prepared last night so was nice and easy.

I was thinking that as a routine, spending 15-20 mins first thing in the morning, while my morning bath runs, doing a few jobs upstairs works well for me. I'll give the office a quick polish next time hey? ;-)

A wee bit of ironing tonight when I get in and dinner defrosting in the fridge. Sorted!

Have a good day all.

Impressed. That has been reported by FlyBabies -- that once organization and tidiness is apparent, more family members get on board. It seems that getting CHAOS under control leads to others helping to keep it that way. Great planning.

Back