Dealing with cynicism

Carlyvore

Hi guys,

I'm restarting sw properly today having tried it about this time last year but gave up, mainly because I allowed my family's cynicism/ unwillingness to get involved get in the way. I'm determined to lose weight this time, but I already know I'm going to face issues re then questioning how it works but being unwilling to really encourage me :sigh: They say the right things but in practice it's all 'well you've been good today here's a slice of cake'!!!

Just wondered if anyone had any tips on how to keep on track when surrounded by people who don't want to do it with me - I even made dinner yesterday which was completely syn free but they wouldn't eat it because they don't like peppers or mushrooms apparently (same people went on to have crisp sandwiches for dinner)...sorry for the rant amongst seeking advice haha!

Thank you in advance for any advice!:)

I can only give advice based on my own experiences so hopefully you find something useful in here.What 'family' are you talking about? Parents or husband/kids? I only have experience in living with my parents and siblings and not one of them has even the slightest interest in partaking in Slimming World, the have take outs at least twice weekly and their staple diet seems to be oven chips...before this attempt at 'dieting' I usually caved and went with what was easy, I had what they were having because it was what was being cooked. I stopped all that with SW and began cooking for myself for every single meal. I never eat what they eat and freeze a lot of my meals now so that I have them handy for whenver I want them. It doesn't take long to batch cook a big pot of chilli/stew/soup/pasta salad and they can keep for ages which may be extremely beneficial if you're the one who's in charge of cooking for everyone else...make something for them and then decide what you're having from the freezer of wonders. Similarly you could do what my friends parents did for them...they made one meal a night, if you don't like it, you starve. My mum didn't do it but I fully intend on being like that if I ever have kids...fussy eating is something that my sisters and I are all guilty of and it's lead to us all being fat.

This time was the first time I'd ever 'paid' for a diet and by signing up online I'd given £60 away, it wasn't a choice to give in and have a bit of cake or whatever...I wasn't wasting my money for anyone. My family were initially sceptical as I was eating big dinners and wasn't living on a diet of lettuce and carrot sticks. 6months on they know it works but I think anyone who has no experience of the plan will be sceptical, I sure as heck was before I started.

I know it's hard but think of what you want to look like, of how you want to feel ...yes cake or whatever is yum at the time but if you're anything like me you'll feel guilty for days. I'd much rather (unless it's wine) do without and reap the rewards. Which makes me realise that there has to be a change in you, yourself, other people shouldn't matter in this case. The only person who can make sure you succeed is you and don't forget we're all here happy to support.

Wow, that was ranty and I'm really not sure there was anything too useful.

Disclaimer :D haha!
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of
fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Agree with all of the above but just to say I managed 5 weeks if SW before my cynical (oh god not ANOTHER diet) OH even noticed I was doing something different. I refuse to discuss it with him. I've lost 18.5lbs so far and I think he thinks I've lost about 5! He is clueless really having always been slim. Anyway the point is, if you can get away with it don't even discuss it with them, then when the notice you'll already be into it and will have lost weight.

I have always had support from my family and friends but what really annoys me is when you have a packet of crisps or something and they are like... ohh i thought you were on a diet! I actually took my slimming world books into work and the magazine and left them on the table where we all eat lunch and people read them whilst on a break and now understand the plan a bit better. Sometimes it really gets me down but i just tell myself that I am doing this for me, no one else, and they will be eating their words when they see me losing weight.
I would just say, think of the reasons you are doing SW and let that spur you on. Good luck xx

When the doctor gave me am ultimatum, diet or die, I sat up and listened!
I told my wife that I was starting SW and that's when the problems started........
Every meal she cooked I would be saying" don't use butter", "no cooking oil" etc so she told me "if you don't like the way I cook, then do it yourself" so I did, even though I didn't have any cooking experience and recovering from 2 strokes, well that was April 2011 and here I am now almost 7 stone lighter, almost reduced my medication by half, BPI ok, blood pressure ok, sugar count ok and feeling 10 years younger!
Go for it and sod others, it's your life, not there's.......
Pete

Back